2019 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

Nefarious86
Moderator
Posts: 3183
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 4:57 am
Contact:

by Nefarious86

And you think 20w worth of bike means anything at 1500w with a rider who's silhouette is a ft shorter than the other 2?

Aero has always been stated as X over X I'm to get you to the line because most companies know that in the heat of a Sprint it's negligible.

As for VC he lost way more than 11s in that embarrassing display from the team mechanic...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

ooo
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 12:59 pm

by ooo

weather made an intersting 1st round of mtb world cup 2019
'

by Weenie


Pierre86
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon May 13, 2019 3:53 pm

by Pierre86

kgt wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:12 pm
I agree that the rider is the main and most important source of drag. The frame - aero or not - has almost negligible impact.
Considering the data you ask for see here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=154692

2019 Specialized Venge Disc - 208w
2019 Ridley Noah Fast Disc - 213w

These are both disc frames with integrated aero cockpits rolling at 45km/h. So, add 5 watts because we are closer to 60km/h, add 5 watts for the non aero cockpit, and add 5 watts for exposed rim brakes and exposed cables. There you have 20watts more drag for the Noah. Not to mention the less aero Bora wheelset in comparison to the Roval.
If you don't agree you are free to do your maths.
It would help if there was some logical to rebut. Power goes up to the cube of speed so it's not even close to just add say 5 watts to a given figure. The cockpit is giving away some watts, but less than what you would think because of how narrow it is. Exposed cables are slow, but that's more related to the mess of cables usually associated with mechanical drivetrains unlike here. Rim brakes are faster than discs as a package as evidenced in the thread that you mention and difference in wheels would be minimal at such low yaw.
Trying to argue that and aerobike isn't an aerobike just because there are faster bikes available is quite the mental gymnastics.
S6 Evo
S5 Aero

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF
Posts: 3334
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:44 am
Contact:

by nathanong87

trollololol
Image
Anyone living in Russia can help me out source a part? [7/2/19]

Nate ★ Life , my tumblr joint
Instagramz

Wookski
Posts: 1099
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:51 am

by Wookski

kgt wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:17 pm
I agree. I am just arguing based on what the various aero tests want us to believe.
No, you were trying to be controversial and once exposed your argument became weaker and weaker. Relying on the Tour test to compare the aero drag of various pro setups is problematic due to different body positions, cockpit setups, brake systems, wheels etc.

At the end of the day it’s all OK, your weak argument prompted some entertaining responses which added value to the forum.

User avatar
pdlpsher1
Posts: 2424
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:09 pm
Location: CO

by pdlpsher1

On the botched bike change with Campenaerts, the mechanic should have put the chain on the small ring on the road bike. Campenaerts said he and the mechanic agreed beforehand that if he had a mechanical on the climb they will give him a road bike. Hindsight is 20/20.

gravity
Posts: 613
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:01 am
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

by gravity

Sepp Kuss, Tolhoek, and Bouwman all have extended their contract with JumboVisma for another 2 more seasons. These are all GT support riders. Happy to see the rise of another WT team committing to winning GT.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nefarious86
Moderator
Posts: 3183
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 4:57 am
Contact:

by Nefarious86

pdlpsher1 wrote:On the botched bike change with Campenaerts, the mechanic should have put the chain on the small ring on the road bike. Campenaerts said he and the mechanic agreed beforehand that if he had a mechanical on the climb they will give him a road bike. Hindsight is 20/20.
He would have been top step if it weren't for the big ring...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

User avatar
kgt
Posts: 7822
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:29 am
Location: Athens, Greece

by kgt

Nefarious86 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:27 pm
And you think 20w worth of bike means anything at 1500w with a rider who's silhouette is a ft shorter than the other 2?
Aero has always been stated as X over X I'm to get you to the line because most companies know that in the heat of a Sprint it's negligible.
Glad you say that aero in negligible in a sprint because some forum members (and some big companies) support than an aero frame can give you a several-bike-lengths advantage in a sprint.
Pierre86 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 1:47 am
It would help if there was some logical to rebut. Power goes up to the cube of speed so it's not even close to just add say 5 watts to a given figure. The cockpit is giving away some watts, but less than what you would think because of how narrow it is. Exposed cables are slow, but that's more related to the mess of cables usually associated with mechanical drivetrains unlike here. Rim brakes are faster than discs as a package as evidenced in the thread that you mention and difference in wheels would be minimal at such low yaw.
Trying to argue that and aerobike isn't an aerobike just because there are faster bikes available is quite the mental gymnastics.
Interesting that your first post in here is this...
According to the Tour test integrated rim brake models were more aero than their disc brake versions. This is not the case with the Noah. Just missing that and your argument collapses.
Wookski wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 2:38 am
kgt wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:17 pm
I agree. I am just arguing based on what the various aero tests want us to believe.
No, you were trying to be controversial and once exposed your argument became weaker and weaker. Relying on the Tour test to compare the aero drag of various pro setups is problematic due to different body positions, cockpit setups, brake systems, wheels etc.

At the end of the day it’s all OK, your weak argument prompted some entertaining responses which added value to the forum.
Obviously you did not understand my argument and you have nothing specific to contribute so why keep posting?

peted76
Posts: 402
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:30 pm

by peted76

Poor old Victor Campenaerts, what a cock up..

IMO. that Ridley Noah of Ewans looks fast standing still!

User avatar
ave
Posts: 1843
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Hungary

by ave

Jumbo Visma had a great week, 8 wins in a week! (ok let's say 8 days)
What a sprint in Dunkerque!! I'd love to see more of this, the main sprinter letting a gap grow to help his leadout man to win.
Teunissen deserved it!

User avatar
ave
Posts: 1843
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Hungary

by ave

As for Campenaerts, with a perfect bike change I think he'd have still lost, but of course it would have been much closer.
The bike-change cost time, but also provided a bit of a rest and a significantly lighter bike for the last 1500m is not bad either.

It would be nice if both Campenaerts and Roglic would be active on Strava, and we would actually know!
Why on Earth is it not possible to track every individual rider in a race in 2019?

User avatar
Calnago
Posts: 8529
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:14 pm

by Calnago

Nefarious86 wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:On the botched bike change with Campenaerts, the mechanic should have put the chain on the small ring on the road bike. Campenaerts said he and the mechanic agreed beforehand that if he had a mechanical on the climb they will give him a road bike. Hindsight is 20/20.
He would have been top step if it weren't for the big ring...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Yeah, that big ring restart on the uphill was a disaster. Not helped by the running cyclocross style remount, while the mechanic got all confused and couldn’t make up his mind to push him off before picking up the bike or go back to pick up the bike right now. Right now was clearly the way to go Image. Rider will figure out how to get going again.
But like was said, hindsight is 20/20.

And yes, great week for Jumbo Visma. Nice to see all the Celeste. Bit nostalgic actually.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

wingguy
Posts: 4305
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:43 pm

by wingguy

Noctiluxx wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 4:20 pm
LOL at Yates talking smack before the tour. Dude got smacked today.
Wow, a rider just can’t win with you guys. There’s constant moaning that there are no personalities left only PR managed robots, then there’s moaning as soon as someone says anything remotely controversial.

You can’t get genuinely interesting comments from riders unless they’re willing to be proved wrong in public.


by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post