Ordering from bike discount Germany

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Has anyone in North America ordered from these guys... www.bike-discount.de

I placed an order on December 17, got notification it was sent on the 18th, but when I track it there is no progress at all... it says on the 18th it left International Priority for Canada, but it has yet to arrive...(Normally this should have taken 3 days max.. I order alot from Europe) I have heard that International mail packages in Germany with DHL post literally get tossed into a crate, and then when there is enough to send, the crate goes across the pond... A little deceiving after paying $40 Cdn for shipping costs, and still have nothing, or that its even arrived in Canada (still needs customs paws all over it)... even more deceiving is that they post it being sent DHL, while its actually not really the yellow truck DHL, its just regular mail...

Not really ranting against the company, they got the order sent in a day... more curious on why its taking so long (Am I correct with way DHL post works_... the holiday is no excuse... I had stuff from Ribble in 3 days that was shipped later!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

The DHL is not express service. It's going through Postal Union participating networks, means your local post office... Takes time, esp during holidays. It could be up to one month.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

dgasmd

by dgasmd

I have ordered several times and it can take from 3 days to 30+. I never order anything from overseas that I need in a hurry, but rather order things like tires and upfrades that are significantly cheaper than in the US. I can wait.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Have not used that site yet but mostly out of the UK and I'm always surprised if it takes less than a month. DHL normally has good tracking at least out of the UK.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

ParisCarbon wrote:Has anyone in North America ordered from these guys... www.bike-discount.de

I placed an order on December 17, got notification it was sent on the 18th, but when I track it there is no progress at all... it says on the 18th it left International Priority for Canada, but it has yet to arrive...(Normally this should have taken 3 days max.. I order alot from Europe) I have heard that International mail packages in Germany with DHL post literally get tossed into a crate, and then when there is enough to send, the crate goes across the pond... A little deceiving after paying $40 Cdn for shipping costs, and still have nothing, or that its even arrived in Canada (still needs customs paws all over it)... even more deceiving is that they post it being sent DHL, while its actually not really the yellow truck DHL, its just regular mail...

Not really ranting against the company, they got the order sent in a day... more curious on why its taking so long (Am I correct with way DHL post works_... the holiday is no excuse... I had stuff from Ribble in 3 days that was shipped later!!
What other sites in Europe do you use that is reliable?

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:38 pm
ParisCarbon wrote:Has anyone in North America ordered from these guys... www.bike-discount.de

What other sites in Europe do you use that is reliable?

bike24, sigma, ribble, and merlin have been excellent.... bike discount got the order out fast... its just deceiving that they list "DHL" as the shipper when its actually just postal mail.. and for $40 and not having it 2 weeks later is ridiculous...I found a review site of the place, and seems most of the complaints is all about what I said.. shipping...

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I know Merlin and PBR can be pretty slow at getting stuff out the door and I have cancelled orders from PBR before cause they have not actually had the stock after a month but I still use them. Wiggle and CR have been good.

mcfarton

by mcfarton

I ordered a smart trainer from them and it was 45 ish days to get. The trainer was cheap enough and shipping was free. And I didn’t have to pay any duty the way it was sent. I was happy, but I wasn’t in a hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

I ordered my SR EPS group from Merlin.. was sent UPS and I had it 2 days after I ordered it!!

velomane

by velomane

I think maybe a combination of the postal strike with the holidays has caused some delay. I ordered some stuff from Starbike in November that took nearly a month to get here. I'm assuming you're tracking via the Canadapost site, correct?

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

ParisCarbon wrote:I ordered my SR EPS group from Merlin.. was sent UPS and I had it 2 days after I ordered it!!
Wow that has to be a record. Don't think I have ever received anything that quickly from the UK.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

velomane wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:17 pm
I think maybe a combination of the postal strike with the holidays has caused some delay. I ordered some stuff from Starbike in November that took nearly a month to get here. I'm assuming you're tracking via the Canadapost site, correct?
It's the DHL post in Germany... I remember I had problems with a package coming from Dr Cannondale many years ago now.. I searched my email, and I found it... They (Dr Cannondale) sent it the next day, and then it literally sat in Germany for 14 days before it left the country, even though there were scans saying it left..

I am scanning on Canada Post website, it has stayed as "Accepted" and "International item has left originating country and is en route to Canada" since Dec 18.. if it left Germany on the 18th, there should have at least been a scan that its arrived in Canada and sent to customs for processing... my guess is its sitting in a container in Germany waiting to fill for Canada mail like several reviews on the website say about them..

I wonder if they just gave it to the guy in the barrel floating across the Atlantic and hope it gets here... :roll:

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:20 pm
ParisCarbon wrote:I ordered my SR EPS group from Merlin.. was sent UPS and I had it 2 days after I ordered it!!
Wow that has to be a record. Don't think I have ever received anything that quickly from the UK.

I always have good luck with stuff from the UK... Sigma is here within a week, even with the postal strike, I ordered a Campy 11s casette from Ribble and had it in 5 days! And Merlin was awesome.. UPS 2 days and it was only $30... thats insane (what was even more insane is UPS didnt screw it up! LOL) Part of the reason this order I have coming now is so irritating.. $40 and probably not even left the country yet!!

jlok

by jlok

Sigma always use DHL Express. Bike24 always use DHL postal service... completely different services.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Must have something to do with your location in Canada. Everything in Ontario takes longer but I won't complain though. Always good deals out of the UK.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com