Knee warmer recommendations

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

otoman

by otoman

Hi Weenies,

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you.

I would love your input about knee warmers. I have a pair of Specialized knee warmers from about 6 years ago that have been fantastic but are just getting worn out. I am SUPER picky about knee warmers. I have tried to replace the current pair several times recently but end up with another addition to my knee warmer graveyard. The things I like about the Specialized pair I have used heavily is that they are long, they have a gripper at the top, they have a brushed fleece on the front panel and a "thick Lycra" on the back, the material is thick enough to be warm yet thin enough that it doesn't bunch. The material is relatively elastic so that it moves with me (again no bunching) and the material, while not being water resistant per se, is tight enough of a weave that it takes a lot of water to get them really wet.

Here's my criteria:
- Must be long. Really long. I have long legs (91cm inseam) and I like the knee warmers to be at least at mid thigh and the bottom to be at the bottom half of my calf muscle. If they don't go low enough, the warmers end up sliding up and bunching behind my knee. If not high enough, they can slide down and gap under a pair of bibs. Louis Garneau, Castelli were both way too short for example.

-Must be a high quality fabric that is elastic, can shed water to a degree and warm. (Pearl Izumis are thick, not elastic enough and bunch like crazy)

-Must have a gripper on top. (assos evo 7 do not inexplicably)

-Style wise, I'd prefer not to have a mulitple seams all over it. (Newer Specialized) My old good Specialized pair has one on each side placed perfectly. That was fine.

So I've looked at so many brands. My list of finalists seem to be:
Mavic Ksyrium wool blend
Defeet Kneekers
Gore C3 windstopper
Sportful NoRain (I worry about the length on these since the whole Castelli/Sportful relationship)

Anyone use wool knee warmers? Defeet has "one size" and their description implies they'll be too short on my long legs.

Maybe I should just use a pair of leg warmers sized down a couple sizes haha.

Thanks for your help!
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I use pearl izumi thermal.. cheap and work well... same for leg warmers
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

otoman wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:51 pm
I have a pair of Specialized knee warmers from about 6 years ago that have been fantastic but are just getting worn out.
Why not source a new pair of knee warmers from Specialized?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

ico

by ico

Try ASSOS KNEEWARMER_S7. Completely different to EVO. My inseam si also 91 and size 2, should fit you. It is really a bargain now https://www.swissiconic.com/accessories ... warmer-s7/

otoman

by otoman

Thanks ms6073 and ico!

Ms6073 I am somewhat embarrassed to admit I had not looked at the latest Specialized product. I had several months ago and there were only the Therminal 2.0 with all the seams and swooshes. Not my thing. The “engineered” therminals look much better.

I ordered a pair of the Assos from that Assos outlet website, thanks for the recommendation ico! Even with shipping, about half the price of the Specialized.

Many thanks and Merry Christmas.

Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

robertbb

by robertbb

spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:00 pm
I use pearl izumi thermal.. cheap and work well... same for leg warmers
+1

And the arm warmers.

uraqt

by uraqt

Defeet's no seam manufacturing IMO is the best .. also you can get them in wool and synthetic... wool for extra cold and synthetic for medium cold...

All my socks, arm warmers, leg warmers and ligh weight goves are and will allways be Defeet...

C

LionelB

by LionelB

I have something like 25 pairs of knee warmers and only use the Rapha merino ones. Perfection. Same goes for their leg warmers and arm warmers, all merino.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1415chris

by 1415chris

Although I don't have 25 pairs to comper with, but I will second the above, Rapha merino warmers are great.

ms6073

by ms6073

LionelB wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:31 am
I have something like 25 pairs of knee warmers and only use the Rapha merino ones.
Sort of a topic drift, but aside from selling on Ebay, does anyone have any suggestions for what to do with spare/excess kit for riders based in the US?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

AJS914

by AJS914

ebay is the easiest unless your local club has a message board that you can post ads on.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Pink bike?

73Bronco

by 73Bronco

I'll put on tights when the temps get around 40f, but to be honest, my knees have never felt cold. Ears, fingers, toes, yes, but never my knees. Am I weird in that sense?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ms6073

by ms6073

73Bronco wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:33 am
my knees have never felt cold. Ears, fingers, toes, yes, but never my knees. Am I weird in that sense?
I raced cross in cold to very cold temperatures, and while applying embrocation would help, when there was ice/snow on the ground, I wore knee warmers as much to protect cartilage and ligaments in my knees as I did to stay warm.
- Michael

bilwit

by bilwit

LionelB wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:31 am
I have something like 25 pairs of knee warmers and only use the Rapha merino ones. Perfection. Same goes for their leg warmers and arm warmers, all merino.
I find myself going back to Rapha merino knee warmers as well.. I've tried Santini and a few other ones but none of them work. At all. They just slide down my legs as a I pedal. The Rapha ones are the only ones that stay put.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com