Shimano restricting online UK sales to the US & Canada.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

TheRich wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:58 pm
robertbb wrote: Absolutely. And the "relationship" is entirely one way. You don't owe your LBS any more than you do your grocer... or the stores you buy your clothes. You are entitled to shop around.

Meanwhile the (big) manucfacturers contract their production to the cheapest factories in countries with the cheapest labour. Not always, but mostly. And the likes of Shimano limit sales by geography. They aren't "protecting" distributors or shops, they're protecting themselves.
Not sure how ensuring an entire business sector has less revenue will drive them to provide better overall service.

Same principle applies to the shipping restrictions. Those UK mail-order prices are lower than US cost for dealers....that's not hyperbole, that's the literal truth. US mail order is pretty close to dealer cost already.

I'm not telling you what to do, I'm just saying we shouldn't be surprised by the consequences of our actions.
I think at least in Canada that the pendulum is starting to swing the other way. Pre Covid my Can dollar would go further in the UK compared to the US and the shipping from the UK was always less expensive compared to the US. It was bad enough that whenever I ordered from the US I would have my parcels sent to a warehouse pickup point on the US side and pick it up personally and bring it back across the border. Many Canadians do this to avoid extremely expensive shipping fees across the border. At the moment my Can dollar is still mostly worthless State side so I spend very little money there but the other day I was comparing what it would cost to purchase either a CR or DA cassette from Merlin to Canada with DHL Express($53) or purchase from Canada with shipping to my home address and the difference was like $35 and thats not knowing what extra charges I would incur from DHL. So at this point its almost not worth going through the hassle with DHL or take the chance with Royal Mail and Canada Post but it might take 6 weeks for delivery. I would like to see Canada do better with online purchase and shipping for ppl like me who if they want parts from the local bike shop have to travel for an hour and hope that they have exactly what you are looking for. I dont know how many times I have been told, yeah we have that and get there and its not what you asked for. I was done with that years ago and not about to go back to that BS if I can get what I need online. I am a happy online purchaser and Canada is getting better at it. :D
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

well alot of uk online retailers are buying of dutch suppliers and the like. It technically grey imports but its in boxes. once britain leaves the transition agreements with the eu at the end of this year such imports will attract 4.7% duties. Thats on top of duties paid when importing into the eu.

So uk prices are going to increases.

Shimano may also prevent eu based bike companies from selling to u.k retailers. The irony.

robertbb

by robertbb

TheRich wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:57 pm
robertbb wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:08 am
So your opinion is "evidence".
And you get to decide what points are "on topic" (or not).

:lol:

You'd be fun at parties.
My evidence for mail order vs dealer cost is evidence, everything after that is common sense.

If you're so worked up about prices, you should look into a nice alloy framed 105 bike.
Worked up?

(Aluminium is a great material for bike frames, and 105 is a fantastic groupset)

You could consider why that chip on your shoulder is so big. Or not.

TheRich

by TheRich

robertbb wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:45 am
TheRich wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:57 pm
robertbb wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:08 am
So your opinion is "evidence".
And you get to decide what points are "on topic" (or not).

:lol:

You'd be fun at parties.
My evidence for mail order vs dealer cost is evidence, everything after that is common sense.

If you're so worked up about prices, you should look into a nice alloy framed 105 bike.
Worked up?

(Aluminium is a great material for bike frames, and 105 is a fantastic groupset)

You could consider why that chip on your shoulder is so big. Or not.
Dude, I'm telling you that the sky is blue and you're pretending that I'm making some outlandish claim.

You're lost with your own problems, but people should be informed of what's actually going on instead of endlessly repeating internet rumors.

jencvo

by jencvo

Tried getting a new cassette along with some other stuff from Merlin Cycles, they are now restricted from shipping to the USA as well. Such a shame.

Berzin1

by Berzin1

Merlin also no longer advertise Sidi shoes.

Doesn't really matter, because who would want to pay $170 US dollars or thereabouts for a pair of Genius 10's from overseas when they can get them right here in the good ol' US of A for $300 plus tax AND shipping? (Insert sarcastic smirk HERE)