Shimano restricting online UK sales to the US & Canada.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Not sure if this is a repost but....Just read on CanadianCyclist that starting Jan 1st 2019, Wiggle, Chainreaction etc. is no longer able to sell Shimano components to US/Canadian based customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

avispa

by avispa

Yes... it’s true. It’s been talked about a lot in other forums.

It seems that Merlin still ships to the USA.... let’s see how long those will be doing this. I think if Shimano is behind this move, this could bite them in the ass quickly. They had a huge shortage of parts not too long ago in the USA and now if people can’t buy from these UK outlets, they’ll simply turn and buy something else... like Sram or Campy....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prebsy

by prebsy

This limitation could definitely make sram more attractive again. I used to run all sorts of groups sram, shimano , campy. Then I found UK sites like merlin and PBK then I only ran shimano b/c you could use a group and resell it for what you paid for it. Recently I've seen the US retailers get more competitive with shimano pricing , not quite there since the UK sites are on that "grey market" OEM resale but places like Competitive and Jenson simply don't sell shimano at MSRP.

It's a necessary move to appease the US shimano dealers. I've spoke with plently that feel they are being crushed by these Uk grey market sellers along with a shimano rep who i believe was literally lobbying congress to stop these grey market sales.

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

Interesting. I wonder what these restrictions in shipping ultra-cheap groupsets to North America will do to prices in the used market... my guess is that we'd see price increases in used groupsets since their purchase price will be higher.

Or, some other country's online seller will step up and start shipping to North America and pick up the slack :)

ooo

by ooo

CRC rep told that Shimano sales will be limited to EU only, sales will be banned in most other countries, not just US/CA
if shimano will ban sales to non-eu countries from Germany too, this may drive more international customers to china
aliexpress (http://ali.pub/2zbgkm) started selling shimano recently, some of them offer free shipping
'

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

First it was Sram to ban the UK from US/Can sales and now Shimano. The only thing left is Campy now which might improve there sales. I have used Amazon for some Sram parts since the ban and noticed that they brought the Red chain in from the UK.
Last edited by bikeboy1tr on Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Close one door and another opens. The problem is Shimano sell to wiggle OEM for there bike brands. The problem is oem sales not wiggle. OEM sales should either stop or be at normal trade pricing.

The issue is not wiggle selling into the USA but the unlevel playing field in purchasing. That's shimano's fault.

brownish

by brownish

So I should place my Shimano order with Merlin before the new year?

Will the German sites also be restricted from
shipping Shimano to the US?

robertbb

by robertbb

I wonder if this is an opportunity for Campy.

I'd imagine most people who specifically wants Campy gear are also savvy to install it themselves (or know a someone that can). I don't know anyone who's bought Campy from their local bricks and mortar store. I don't think they'll lose any of the allure they have as a premium component manufacturer if they try to take up the space left by Shimano/SRAM sell and get their kit in the hands of as many as possible via online retailers.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Mavic used to do this as well.. I don't know if they still do, but I couldn't order Mavic from the USA to Canada.. had to get it sent to small town across the border and drive.. Specialized is the same way, they are very particular on stuff staying in the region.. the problem is though that many color options of products are not available in all regions.. I wanted the Camo SWorks SL6 Tarmac, but it wasn't available to Canada, so I ended up having to buy it from the closest Spec shop across the border and drive almost 4 hrs each way to get it!

Re above about Campy.. theres nothing difficult about installing Campy... I had my Tarmac SL5 rewired for SR EPS and all running in an afternoon project.. the biggest PITA was pulling all the Di2 wiring out! LOL

ooo

by ooo

brownish wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:45 am
Will the German sites also be restricted from
shipping Shimano to the US?
yes, after 01.06.2019
'

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I was on Merlin and Ribble the other day and put some Shimano components in a basket and proceeded to check out with no brick wall as of yet. I didnt actually purchase anything but it was a test. Normally they wouldnt allow you to put it in the basket if it was offlimits to NA. I think it was Merlin would allow it to the basket but when checking out it was blocked. I know Ribble was the first one that would not allow me to purchase Sram components last year and it seemed the rest followed suit not long after. Ribble willing at the moment to send a Shimano Group to Canada. Okay Ribble just allowed me to put Sram in my basket now were as before they were not even showing a price on any of the Sram components. Maybe the doors have been opened again.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I was just surfing the Ribble site and noticed that they are not showing pricing on many of the Shimano components and when I selected those they had a warning that these parts were not allowed to Canada. I did check a few of the other Shimano parts and pricing was showing on some of the lower end groupsets but I dont know for how long.
The pricing on all the Sram components were showing and they have the new 12sp etap groups instock.
The other UK sites still show pricing on their Shimano but not sure how long that will last either.

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

the best place for shimano parts is Ali Express....

You dont get hit with duty either EVER.

100% real OEM

Berzin1

by Berzin1

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:17 pm
I was on Merlin and Ribble the other day and put some Shimano components in a basket and proceeded to check out with no brick wall as of yet. I didnt actually purchase anything but it was a test. Normally they wouldnt allow you to put it in the basket if it was offlimits to NA. I think it was Merlin would allow it to the basket but when checking out it was blocked.

With Merlin, if you type in USA as country of origin, the site goes to a page where it will say the item is n/a. This is how I found out Sidi was also on the no-fly list.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com