2019 Pro equipment and rumors

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

I’ll open new topic as year is ending and better to start putting new bikes and jerseys in this topic once they are released.
Stage is yours and I’ll also contribute.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I don’t see any notable new bikes or wheels on the latest UCI Approved lists. Just about every aero bike was updated last season, and some of the endurance/classics bikes updated already too. The only endurance bike really due for an update is the Trek Domane. TT bikes like the Shiv, Speedmax, Speedconcept, will probably see updates ahead of the TdF.

2019 is probably going to be a relatively quiet year for equipment.

TiCass

by TiCass

Maybe a new Cervelo P5 soon

DartanianX

by DartanianX

Should this not just be a 2019 Pro Cycling thread / create that instead?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:28 am
I don’t see any notable new bikes or wheels on the latest UCI Approved lists. Just about every aero bike was updated last season, and some of the endurance/classics bikes updated already too. The only endurance bike really due for an update is the Trek Domane. TT bikes like the Shiv, Speedmax, Speedconcept, will probably see updates ahead of the TdF.

2019 is probably going to be a relatively quiet year for equipment.
I agree with you regarding the Domane, but I think Trek might have something up their sleeve after they signed that contract with SRAM. SRAM is pushing DUB as their new BB standard, and what better way to push it than to have their new partner revise their products over the next year or two, to feature that hub. BB90 is a Shimano derived standard, and I think we'll all agree that GXP on those frames is a compromise, certainly not ideal. Trek could release two new top-end bikes this year: a new Domane in the spring and Emonda in the summer, featuring DUB on the RSL frames, and all other versions sticking to BB90.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I’m betting against Trek retaining the H1/H2 split on the Emonda. Nobody else has geometries as aggressive as H1...it’s not really needed, especially with integrated cockpits pushing -12deg or even -17deg stems instead of -6deg.

For the Domane, I could see the split continue as other brands have been forced to created longer/lower pro-only versions of their endurance bikes for P-R (S-Worls Roubaix and Giant Defy.)

C36

by C36

DartanianX wrote:Should this not just be a 2019 Pro Cycling thread / create that instead?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I do (personally) prefer a split, so we can leave the race comment on on side and concentrate the material part here without being buried under 100s of other messages.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:24 pm
I’m betting against Trek retaining the H1/H2 split on the Emonda. Nobody else has geometries as aggressive as H1...it’s not really needed, especially with integrated cockpits pushing -12deg or even -17deg stems instead of -6deg.
I definitely agree with this. I think H1 is dead, and H2 will be left for lower-end bikes.

I also see Domane moving upscale, especially as other manufacturers release their endurance bikes. I can see an H1.5 and H3 Domanes in the future, the former being an RSL frame (with dimensions similar to, or identical to, the Emonda and Madone RSL frames) and the latter, being an H3 geometry, of a lower-grade carbon.

I think it's going to be an interesting year ahead. I don't know what Trek's going to do with the SpeedConcept. It seems like this area is just stagnant, and even the most marginal gains just aren't worth the costs of R&D and tooling. Maybe we'll see something for the 2019 Kona race, but I won't be holding my breath.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Speedconcept.... only thing to do is put discs on it (without slowing it down)
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The H1/H2 geometry is interesting and kind of depends on the bike, intended market, and purpose. For instance, I’m working on an H1 2018 Madone right now. It’s got more spacers than we’d like currently and we’ll likely remove some. So for the Madone I think the one size fits all headtube of H1.5 is a good move. After all, if you have to have the H2 length headtube on a full on aero bike, then maybe aero really shouldn’t be your focus.
But it’s not as clear cut with bikes like the Emonda for example. I have both an H2 geo bike (Emonda SL rain bike) and an H1 geo bike (Koppenberg). I run the stem pretty much slammed on the H2 (with the exception of a 3mm red anodized spacer for a bit of pizzaz) and they gives me a saddle to bar drop of 69mm. On my Koppenberg, with 2cm of spacers I’m at 84mm. My ideal range which I stay within is generally beteeen 7-9cm). When I got the Emonda SL I didn’t even consider an H1 geo since if I had to run 3cm of spacers what’s the point. I’d rather have the longer supporting headtube. And while I could be just fine with an extra 10mm of drop on the SL, considering it’s purpose etc, I’m very happy with the fit as is, even if it does look a little ungainly up front. But I could see many racers wanting more drop than I’m running on my 60cm H1 frame, and the H1 geo allows for that. There’s also the business case that can’t be ignored. How many people are clamoring for an H2 Madone so they can sit up in the wind. Nuff said on that point. But the Emonda on the other hand... the sales of the H2 probably dwarf those of the H1. The Emonda is just an awesome all round bike, regarldess of whether H1 or H2 fits you best. But very few competitive riders will want the H2 geometry, so the H1 fits that bill perfectly, with a sizable market for both geometries. So, for the Emonda at least, I would like to see Trek hold onto both H1 and H2 fits going forward. For the Madone, I think the 1.5 is a good idea from all standpoints. I think the business case for dollars and cents will be the deciding factor.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

H1 sales numbers are basically zero. Seriously. For the Emonda alone, it might be 1%. For the Domane and the “Pro Endurance” model, less than that. It doesn’t help that low-slung Domane is only available via Project One and the H1 Emonda is only available via P1 or as a frameset. I asked my shop how many H1 bikes they sold last year besides mine...just one other.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The Domane doesn’t have a choice really... the Pro endurance model is just there to be available, and is a completely different geo than the Domane. It’s not like you can choose an H1 or H2 Domane. And unless you are actually racing Paris Roubaix, there’s no reason I can see why anyone would get it.
But the Emonda, for sure H2 sales dwarf H1 sales at the LBS level. No question. H1 geo Emondas are special order items for the most part but the choice is good. Unlike the Pro Endurance geometry, the only difference in H1/H2 geo of the Emonda is Headtube length. I suspect sales are good enough to warrant both and since the majority of their pro riders are on H1, I suspect they’ll keep both going.
Last edited by Calnago on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The way I see it is kind of like this. I’m not aware of any current pros on H1 Emondas and -17deg stems, so if even the pros can’t make full use of the geometry (in its most aero configuration) it’s not necessary. I’d obviously like H1 to continue, but everyone else in the industry is using H1.5 without complaints about their stack heights being too tall.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Don’t know why you’re bringing -17 stems into the equation. Trek Pros have rarely (at least I can’t recall any off hand) used those and most use the standard -7 degree Bontrager stems on their Emondas. Anyway, doesn’t much matter, they will do what they do, H2/H1 choice is good to have for the Emonda.

mag

by mag

I think he means that as they don't use those -17 stems on H1 geo they aren't at the (vertical position) limit anyway and could do with H1.5 and -12 or -17 stem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com