2019 Pro equipment and rumors

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

mag wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:57 am
I think he means that as they don't use those -17 stems on H1 geo they aren't at the (vertical position) limit anyway and could do with H1.5 and -12 or -17 stem.

Exactly this.

TiCass

by TiCass

Also that the -12 and -17 stem are more accepted now then a couple years ago.
Pretty much all aero bikes now are sold with an horizontal stem and you add spacer to adjust the fit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes. Ok. So that’s a really ugly look. A sloping top tube with a slammed -17 stem. They’ve already just lowered where the seattube cluster is. Raising the headtube as well (on an H1) will make it even more sloping and ugly. Then when you have to throw a -17 stem on the thing to get it back down to where they need it, it’s a mess. That look happened already. We don’t need it again. And why lower the H2 head tube since that’s by far the largest market for regular folks and it works. I don’t think Trek needs to compromise on either end here. There’s enough of a market for both H1 and H2 Emonda.
I suppose it’s subjective, but to me this kind of front end set up is Fuugly.... and the more sloping the top tube the uglier it gets...
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I think we can all agree it looks bad, but it’s an uncommon sight all the same.

jlok

by jlok

What about TCR, SuperSix and Ultimate? Looks like updates are due, esp the SS.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Agreed, but it wouldn't be uncommon, at least for the Trek Emonda boys, if they only had the longer, higher headtube to choose from. I've thought about this using my Koppenberg as an example. Would it look better or worse if everything remained the same except for extending the headtube by two centimeters, along with the resulting increase in the slope of the top tube. I think it would look worse. Plus, at 84mm of saddle to bar drop with 2cm of spacers, that's hardly an aggressive drop for a pro. They like the option of getting it lower with the H1 geometry. And let's face it, a good looking bike on Sunday, sells bikes on Monday as much as anything else. My money's on Trek retaining both H1 and H2 fits for the Emonda. Everyone stays happiest that way, and it's good for business. There's a big enough market for both I think.
Mine... 84mm of saddle/bar drop...

And Cancellara's... slammed with the resulting greater drop...
Last edited by Calnago on Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

DartanianX

by DartanianX

I really enjoyed my Trek Emonda SLR H1 Geo.

If I wasn’t working for Scott Sports, it would be my next purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/25352 ... 019-season

Katusha Alpecin (SRAM-Canyon) commit to disc brakes next year, not surprised to see SRAM pushing.

wrenegade

by wrenegade

I heard that the new Supersix Evo is supposedly Disc only? But the frame is lighter than the current rim brake model? Seems like a bit of an odd decision, considering it's supposed to be their lightweight bike and even if the frame is lighter the bike will still be heavier than a comparable rim brake model. Maybe rim brake will be available as a frameset only? I love my SS Evo and find it hard to imagine "upgrading" and ending up with a heavier bike, especially considering mine is 6.3kg with 303 clinchers and no super weight-weenie parts.

guyc

by guyc

micky

by micky

Portoguese Sporting-Taviria on KTM and Etap.

euan

by euan

FIJIGabe wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:20 pm
SRAM is pushing DUB as their new BB standard, and what better way to push it than to have their new partner revise their products over the next year or two, to feature that hub. BB90 is a Shimano derived standard, and I think we'll all agree that GXP on those frames is a compromise, certainly not ideal. Trek could release two new top-end bikes this year: a new Domane in the spring and Emonda in the summer, featuring DUB on the RSL frames, and all other versions sticking to BB90.
DUB isn't a BB shell "standard". Its a crank spindle size thats compatible with BSA, BB92, BB30 and PF30 shells. Its been designed specifically so a new bike isn't needed to use the DUB system(BB and crank), effectively its a replacement for GXP.

All a bit moot because SRAM doesn't currently make road DUB cranks.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

euan wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:15 am

DUB isn't a BB shell "standard". Its a crank spindle size thats compatible with BSA, BB92, BB30 and PF30 shells. Its been designed specifically so a new bike isn't needed to use the DUB system(BB and crank), effectively its a replacement for GXP.

All a bit moot because SRAM doesn't currently make road DUB cranks.

The point is the BB90 shell is the exception. You will need a new bike for DUB Road, or keep using 24 (or 25mm) spindle cranks.

Also regarding the lack of DUB Road cranks, wait a month or two and there will be.

euan

by euan

Well it isn't really. One of the main design criteria of DUB was not to require a new bike. If SRAM can offer BB86 and BB92 DUB bottom brackets, and given BB90 is based on 86/92 Shimano standard all Trek/SRAM needs to do is manufacture equivilent press in bearings, and there you have your bike ready to accept a possible DUB road crank.

And the idea in the original post that GXP in BB86/90/92 is somehow a comprise is fundementally incorrect. If it is then so is Hollowtech
Last edited by Frankie - B on Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit the bold part. Treks BB90 is proprietary. and not based on BB86/92

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Let's wait for 2019 to roll in...
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!