Best respirator mask for riding in wildfire smoke

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Given the camp fire smoke has been affecting the whole San Francisco bay area for the past few days, I thought it might be useful to have a thread about respirator masks. Based on the information available from the agencies, the masks should be at least N95 (EU P1) certified. BUT because of the nature of bike riding, I believe it's better to have a mask that has a higher rating (N99 / N100 / P100). There is very limited information on the internet regarding excersizing in respiratory masks, so this thread might be useful for folks like me in the future.

I tested three masks over the weekend and realized a few basic things one should consider picking the right mask for riding.

x) The mask should always have an exhaust valve. The bigger the better. Otherwise co2 will build up inside the mask pretty quickly making it impossible to climb up even short hills.
x) It's pretty hard to properly fit a disposable mask and check it for leeking
x) Moisture will build up inside the mask and it may clog the exhaust valves.
x) It's unclear when to throw out a disposable mask, but usually manufacturers recommend 40 hour usage OR when you feel that it's harder to breath through the filter.
x) Breathing is harder in these masks and you shouldn't ride too hard because you can end up gasping for air and removing them is not easy with your helment on.

I found the Honeywell SAF-T-Fit disposable mask with valve easy to breath in and out. The issue with this mask is moisture inside the mask and comfort.

=============

Because of the comfort issues I decided to buy a decent respirator mask and I ended up with the 3M 6500QL. I added two P100 filter cartridges. I think this particular mask is suitable for riding for a few hours. It's very well fitting, relatively comfortable and lightweight (with the round filters). Also the quick release latch makes it possible to temporarily remove the mask for drinking / eating or cleaning the exhaust valve. During fitting it's easy to check for leaks and easy to adjust the mask during riding.

The biggest issue is moisture building up inside the mask clogging the valves making harder to breath.

===============

Please share your favorite respirator mask for riding. Any other tips are welcome in this thread regarding excerising in wildfire smoke.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Oh and just to stay on topic...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

I'd just ride indoors.

Can you really get enough air volume through a mask for an effective workout?

mattr

by mattr

Not really.
Even clambering around on site at work was hard work with a respirator on.
You need an air supply really.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

AJS914 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:06 pm
I'd just ride indoors.

Can you really get enough air volume through a mask for an effective workout?
The air indoors is also effected by the smoke particles unless you have a HEPA air cleaner sized for the room. That's an other great topic I'd love to hear more about.

Obviously you can't do intervals with the mask on, but I was able to maintain low-tempo / tempo power numbers for 15-25 minutes. But it's ok to keep commuting or spend a few hours outside on your bike.

yinya

by yinya

How long is this smoke estimated to stay around in SF? Was planning a ride on the weekend but would skip packing my bike gear if it stays this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJS914

by AJS914

The fire near Chico is only 30% contained so the smoke will probably be around for a while. Check the air quality forecast:

https://airnow.gov/state/CA/index.cfm

nemeseri

by nemeseri

yinya wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:26 pm
How long is this smoke estimated to stay around in SF? Was planning a ride on the weekend but would skip packing my bike gear if it stays this way.
The air quality deppends on the wind direction and there is a chance that it will clear out before the weekend. At least that's what the weather forecasts said this morning. Keep in mind that it can change very quickly even during the day.

Great site to check third party air quality measurments: https://www.purpleair.com/map?#10/37.8237/-122.379

addictR1

by addictR1

Supposedly by Saturday it’ll clear out for north Bay Area.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

addictR1 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:04 am

Now forecasters are saying it's going to remain bad until well after the weekend.

Strangely enough, riders are posting photos with smiles while out on group rides with heavy smoke in the background.

I wish everyone would readup on all to toxic elements in this smoke and their long term effects.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

i would not ride at all.

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

mike wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:08 pm
i would not ride at all.
I second this. Living up in the PNW, 3 out of the 4 past summers have had periods of very bad forest fire smoke. I monitor the air quality like a hawk, and I'm very careful about the time of day I ride when the AQ is marginal but I remember one day in 2017 where the smoke got a lot worse over the 2 hours I was out. I have perfectly healhty lungs, no asthma or serious bouts of pneumonia, and after that day my lungs and bronchii were irritated for at least 48 hours. I hope to never experience that again.

For anyone really wanting to ride, here are the issues (I am not an expert, but I've done my research). The particulate matter is the big problem. Especially what is called PM2.5, which is 2.5 microns or less. These particles can get deep into the lungs and cause irritation, and most fire smoke is very high in PM2.5. The larger PM10 particles are not as bad but still a problem. In addition to fire's particulate matter, the prevalent smoke also increases the ozone count when the sun hits it so ozone levels also rise. Normally ozone is mostly from human activity (traffic pollution mainly) and tends to be low in the morning, peak in the late afternoon, and then drop again through the evening. But with a blanket of smoke in the area the baseline ozone starts out much higher. Also, weather has an effect. A large dome of high pressure is a big problem because it comes in over top and creates an inversion, which tends to push all the pollutants to the surface. Here in BC this is always what gives us trouble....fires burning in the interior, high pressure moves in and creates an outflow wind situation dragging smoke into the Vancouver (or Seattle) area, then as the ridge establishes the winds die and the inversion sets up driving the smoke down to the ground.

yinya

by yinya

Thanks, really appreciate the background.

addictR1

by addictR1

Yea I heard on the news tonight.. kinda bummed. Guess it’s back to riding TR indoors

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Bridgeman wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:58 pm
addictR1 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:04 am

Now forecasters are saying it's going to remain bad until well after the weekend.

Strangely enough, riders are posting photos with smiles while out on group rides with heavy smoke in the background.

I wish everyone would readup on all to toxic elements in this smoke and their long term effects.
spare the air to tuesday now.. :cry: wednesday rain.. wish it would rain now to help the situation.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault