Painting Canyon Ultimate CF SLX

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

dorin

by dorin

I was hoping for the new models to have all cables hidden, as it didn’t happen, and I can’t consciously justify replacing a not even 2yrs old bike, want to “spice things up” and paint the Ultimate.

Right now is black with red, planning to have it red with white (for logos and lines). The red will be the Renault Flame Red, Spoke with a garage to do it, they can get the paint easily but i’m (We’re) stuck at the sanding down the current paint job. The guy fron the garage estimates the new paint will be about 300-350gr (3 coatings of paint and 2 clear coatings), which of course is quite much, I wonder how much of the original paint I can “sand down”? Till what point is safe to sand the current paint job? As the guy never painted bikes (does cars on daily business) so he doesn’t know how much he should sand down therefore he proposed to do a fine sanding to be able to apply the new paint.

Any suggestions, share of experiences are more than welcome.

Cheers,
Dorin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rudi

by Rudi

Pretty sure you can sand all of it off. I have on two bikes now. I doubt you'll be taking off less than he is going to put back on though.

Edit - you might want to check how he is taking the paint off as I did mine by hand. If he is using something mechanical then that might be why he is being cautious.
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

dorin

by dorin

Thanks Rudi, as you’ve done it by hand can you pls let me know what did you use to sand it off? 1500?2000? And when did you stop? Is by any moment the carbon layer obvious beneath the paint?
I’m aware I won’t keep it weight neutral, but I’d hate to gain 350grs (esp since using the Aerobars I gained 750...)
Cheers,
Dorin