Assos Equipe Rs rain vs Gore C7 Shake-Dry stretch

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ducman

by ducman

How does the c5/c7 stand time? Vs assos

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dolophonic

by dolophonic

Is the Gore jacket warm ? I have used a Rapha pro team rain cape, great when u need to stay warm and dry all day but not something you want to try to pack into your pocket.
The Gore sounds packable but will it keep you warm in bad conditions with cold /wet temps ? or is it better for intermediate temps ?

Thanks

TonyM

by TonyM

moyboy wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:01 am
.... the lollipop color was a pain to clean all the time from road grime.

....you need fenders..... :mrgreen:

TonyM

by TonyM

dolophonic wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:37 am
Is the Gore jacket warm ? I have used a Rapha pro team rain cape, great when u need to stay warm and dry all day but not something you want to try to pack into your pocket.
The Gore sounds packable but will it keep you warm in bad conditions with cold /wet temps ? or is it better for intermediate temps ?

Thanks
The Gore is only a waterproof membran. That's why it is incredibely light and also breathable.
I really love it as it worsk 100%. And you can combine it with any cloth under it.
I use the Gore with some base layer and jersey under it for the rainy days with temp around 1-2C. No problem at all as the Gore acts against the wind and the base layer and jersey for the warmth.

The only downside is that the material is quite sensitive (not for MTB for example). And it is only available in dark (not the safest colour).

zebragonzo

by zebragonzo

Gore is great. Never felt wet inside it (from sweat or rain). Only downside is that it's not very visible. I get around that by wearing the Assos Emergency Vest. The vest method has the advantage that you can tuck the gore jacket up inside the sides of the vest if you want to have waterproof arms and back, but want massive breathability.
Dimples: Laminar flow separates more easily from a surface than turbulent air. Delayed separation reduces drag. A groove perpendicular to the flow triggers laminar to turbulent conversion. A spinning object uses dimples so an edge always faces the flow.

zebragonzo

by zebragonzo

dolophonic wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:37 am
Aside from wind blocking, it's not warm at all - there is 0 insulation. It's meant to be worn outside something else that's warm.
Dimples: Laminar flow separates more easily from a surface than turbulent air. Delayed separation reduces drag. A groove perpendicular to the flow triggers laminar to turbulent conversion. A spinning object uses dimples so an edge always faces the flow.

guyc

by guyc

That’s why they now make the insulated version.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

I've ended up with the Gore stretch in size large.
First the Assos in size large felt just a little to narrow at my current chest (I'm a basketball player so my current body is not that of a cyclist).
The Assos in size xlarge felt just too big overal.
The Gore Stretch in size XL was way too big but the size large felt perfect (probaly also due to the stretch fabric) over a normal summer jersey but also over something like a gabba jersey. On first hand the Gore also feels more packable.
Second, and my main dissapointment, was the zipp of the Assos jacket. both the size L and XL I had ordered had the same issue. Impossible to close properly. even at home in front of the mirror while fitting the jackets. So I do not want to imagin what problems it would give on a rainy day with cold hands or on a cold day with gloves on.
Only downside of the Gore, I liked the lolli-pop color of the Assos more.

Anybody any experiance with the Gore Shakedry insulated jacket with Polartec Alpha fabric?
I have 2 similar jackets of Rapha with Polartec Alpha.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

bruno2000 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:25 am
Second, and my main dissapointment, was the zipp of the Assos jacket. both the size L and XL I had ordered had the same issue. Impossible to close properly. even at home in front of the mirror while fitting the jackets. So I do not want to imagin what problems it would give on a rainy day with cold hands or on a cold day with gloves on.
Only downside of the Gore, I liked the lolli-pop color of the Assos more.
After about 5 or 6 times of doing and undoing the zip, this becomes a non issue. Granted it is difficult to do when not wearing the jacket, and it is a little alarming to begin with, but after your first ride, it goes away.