now i've seen it all. i just need to get this out

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Lewn777 wrote:Another Trekz Titanium user.
My god they are sh** headphones. No bass, interfere with most helmet straps and often break. I'm on my third pair on warranty. Wouldn't recommend them for music, better for podcasts. If you buy them keep your reciept!
I agree - sound quality is poor. But i like the distraction they give me during a ride

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Frankie - B
Administrator

by Frankie - B

tymon_tm wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:48 pm
Nef, I'm sorry, but you're on the wrong side of the rainbow on this one. I don't know if it's a thing where you live, but here lots of early teenagers walk/ride around with small speakers? phones? wtf? playing crappy (both in quality and, erm,... genre) music out loud. nothing more annoying than a kid like that on a bus stop or walking few meters in front of you - just like cities weren't loud enough!
Tymon, I still seem to remember that this was the way we walked around the neighbourhood:

'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
Please follow me on Instagram

by Weenie

Stitchking

by Stitchking

+1 for podcasts and music on solo rides. Especially helpful on regular routes that I've ridden a billion times.

However, I've never listened to music or podcasts in a group ride. Unsafe, antisocial, and unnecessary. Plus you look like a massive douche.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

bilwit

by bilwit

I personally also think it's pretty bad form.. the comparison to people playing music on their phone or something on the street (or on a bus) is spot on. Seems a little inconsiderate and practically it sounds like shit when you can just wear an earbud or something like that instead. In terms of needing to listen to something in general, sure, I do that all the time on the trainer, but outside.. I just wouldn't do it.

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

When I go on long solo rides I use AirPods with one in my right ear to listen to podcasts or audible books. With the left ear open I can hear traffic and other riders. I guess it’s fair to say that I like listening to the spoken word content more than I like listening to the chain go around the cogs. It that gets me banned from the tribe then so be it.

Also, I have a teenage son who I am introducing to the sport. He doesn’t love it like I do, but he’s slowly getting the feel for it. Often when I ride with him I’ll put his Bluetooth speaker box in my back jersey pocket and we’ll listen to his type of music as we ride along. It’s loud enough that we can hear it but not so loud that it is blaring at others. I realize this is a little Fred-like, but I don’t see anything in the rules prohibiting it, and it gets us out there together which makes up for any breach in protocol in my opinion. Uniformly, whenever we come across other roadies in real life in my area they’re generally complimentary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IchDien

by IchDien

"SilentDrone", indeed.