Alpenbrevet Switzerland 2019

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

Folks..... A quick one!
Does anyone know the date of Switzerland's Alpenbrevet in 2019
The website says (I think- as its in German) that the date will be confirmed later : When will the date be confirmed?

Thank you in advance

Rappid

by Rappid

Alpenbrevet usually takes place in last week of August.
You can start your hill training now :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

campagowlo

by campagowlo

I did it in 2017, very well organised and an amazing route. I did the 172km route (Grimsel, Nufenen, Gotthard, Susten). I am thinking of doing it again in 2019 followed by the Otztal (if they are on consecutive weekends).

Rappid

by Rappid

@compagowlo, good choice! :) Otztal is on 1st Sept 2019.

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

Any further word on Alpenbrevet date for 2019?

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

I also notice that the Gold route for 2018 started in Andermatt, and the route went in the order; Sustran, Grimsel, Nufenen & Gotthard.
Is this a change from previous years? Will tjis be the case for 2019?

crux

by crux

Enda Marron wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:03 am
I also notice that the Gold route for 2018 started in Andermatt, and the route went in the order; Sustran, Grimsel, Nufenen & Gotthard.
Is this a change from previous years? Will tjis be the case for 2019?
No the date is not yet confirmed.
They changed the starting point last year and I think it will be Andermatt too for the oncoming years.

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

Thank you for the replies - my (reliable) sources tell me that the date is 24 August 2019 and the routes are the same as 2018.
Any comments on this.
The moment that I get creditible confirmation I will book flights, entry, hotel, time off work......

Ruben58

by Ruben58

Does anybody know what kind of Watt/KG is required to finish the platinum in time? My dad is an absolute diesel but is worried he will not climb fast enough. I fully understand this is a 'it depends' kind of question, especially with regard to descending and how long you take breaks. Just a ballpark answer would be nice.

Rappid

by Rappid

Ok lads, Alpenbrevet date is confirmed to 24th August 2019!

@Ruben58,

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

Great news - they emailed me and I've the flights booked
Rappid, I am Irish and am going with a few other lads
If you are on for it we could hook up either before during or after for a bit of craic

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

Those who have completed Alpen Brevet; what kit/clothing is required and reccommended?
Obviously if rain is forecast then it will be lightweight waterproofs, but if weather is sunny (in the valleys) what kit is neccessary for the summits and for the descents?
In the Dolomites my Castelli Idro and back up armwarmers are usually sufficient.
Any thoughts?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Enda Marron wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:19 pm
Those who have completed Alpen Brevet; what kit/clothing is required and reccommended?
Obviously if rain is forecast then it will be lightweight waterproofs, but if weather is sunny (in the valleys) what kit is neccessary for the summits and for the descents?
In the Dolomites my Castelli Idro and back up armwarmers are usually sufficient.
Any thoughts?
Should be same as the Dolomites, same as mountains anywhere. But if you have any bad weather at all you need to be prepared for low single digits at the top of the passes.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Rappid

by Rappid

@Enda Marron, I did check videos from last couple of year and weather is general good, they had bad weather this year if I good rememebr.
If it's nice ad sunny you need gilet or lightweight wind breaker for long descents.
I did Tour de Mont Blanc this year, it was cloudy with few showers on the way. I had only light wind jacket and arm warmers.
As Mr. Gib said before, we had single digit on the top of St. Bernard 2500m and then 30 degrees in the valley :)
Anyway, it will be cracking day on the bike that's for sure!
I have to register and pay for Tour TransAlp first and then I will sort out Alpenbrevet.
Let's stay in touch.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

campagowlo

by campagowlo

I did it in 2017 when the weather was variable. Damp climb up the Grimsel, warm climb up the Nufenen and Gotthard then heavy thunderstorms. Defos pack a light rain jacket and arm warmers.