Alpenbrevet Switzerland 2019

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

My thoughts are: decent rain cape ( assos equipe rs or mavic cosmic ultimate gtx with a insulated gilet assos mille gt or mavic cosmic sl vest)
If really poor forecast I will have ready an assembly of overshoes, long gloves, buff, rain cao, bib knicks etc etc etc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

Next question...
I plan to ride the Gold Route; Susten, Grimsel, Nufenen & Gotthard.
Is the Nufenen the toughest if this quartet?
... any specific advice fir the event?

basilic

by basilic

None of them is super hard, all have civilized gradients. It's the accumulation that makes it a hard day.
When they started from Meiringen Susten was hard, mostly because it came last, could be hot, and the straightaway before the switchbacks was mentally draining. But now it comes first, shouldn't be a problem. Grimsel has the most gain (1500m) but easy gradients, very scenic in places. Nufenen has a few harder sections but not by much and is shorter. Gothard could be hot out of Airolo, then it eases up when you reach the cobblestones, which are pretty special, and last effort on the day.
The worst part is the initial descent from Andermatt to Göschenen in the galleries, be careful there, esp at 6am in the dark.
They used to have a neutralized feeding zone before the last climb, where the riding clock effectively stops. If you care about your final time, there is a free respite.

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

I have been looking through video of previous Alpenbrevet editions, a lot of the riders are doing it wit a small ruc sac!
Is this neccessary or advisable.
I jad hoped to take wind/waterproof jacket, gilet &full finger gloves in my jersey pocket
All advice welcome

csteenbe

by csteenbe

Enda Marron wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:15 am
I have been looking through video of previous Alpenbrevet editions, a lot of the riders are doing it wit a small ruc sac!
Is this neccessary or advisable.
I jad hoped to take wind/waterproof jacket, gilet &full finger gloves in my jersey pocket
All advice welcome
No it is not neccessary a ruc-sac :shock:

Rappid

by Rappid

csteenbe wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:02 am
No it is not neccessary a ruc-sac :shock:
I think they carry a small tent in rucksak. Just kidding :)
@Enda marron, everything you need you can put into your back pocket.
Last edited by Rappid on Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maquisard

by maquisard

RIding in Suisse Alps, the weather is very variable. Be prepared for thunderstorm.

cjnl

by cjnl

I rode Platin last year and some friends rode Gold.

I have been told it was excellent weather for more than 4 months before the race. But on race day it was cold on the tops, even snowing on Oberalp. But also 26 degrees Celcius in Biasca. I started with two thin layers and a Castelli Perfetto outfit. Nanoflex arm and leg pieces. For decents a Sportful hotpack. Two gloves, short and neoprene for descents. Shoes with Velotoze (rubber) over shoes.

It was too hot in Airolo and too cold after descending from Oberalp to the finish. But in between all was doable. I started the day with a helmet hat, but took that off during the first climb (Sustenpass).

Just make sure you take all the clothing options with you and decide the last day when the forecast is most trustworthy.

As for the toughest climbs, it all depends how hard you attack them. :D I feared Nufenenpass looking at the gradients. Some people 'complained' a lot about Gotthard, especially the road. The friend I rode with on Platin, lost it on Lukmanierpass after seeing a sign it was another 28 kilometer to the top. I suffered on Oberalp. The day before I rode a part of it and it was sooo easy. On the race day the wind made it really hard. Climbing the last pass and fight the cold wind, and expecting an easy finish, took the last bit of energy.

Last year they announced a mandatory stop on top of the Sustenpass. After a bad start a bit too far behind after the neutralized descent, I managed to get back in the first group right at the top. But I expected we needed to stop. My helmet was loosened because I took off the helmet hat and opened my coat and shirt during the climb. I planned to fix those on top. No one was stopping us so we continued and since I did not want to lose those guys again a descended like a madman in the mist without my helmet being closed. :shock:

Ruc-sacs are totally unnecessary for any of the distances. We had so many stops with food and drinks you could easily overeat.

Enjoy the preparation for this great goal! One of the best experiences of my life. So tough, but so rewarding.

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

Thank you for all the replies, they are very helpful
Another question
Do you guys have any hotel/accomodation reccommendations?
I could go with a cycle tours company, but I am experienced enough to organise everything myself - the only "lottery" is getting a good hotel (close to start/finish area, good amienities, reasonable cost, no need for luxury just a good clean comfortable hotel)
Thanks in advance

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

Guys....
Sorry to bother you, but another question.
I have a friend who wants to ride the Bronze Tour, (he has booked his flights, so he is committed!), he wants to hire a GOOD QUALITY road bike for Alpenbrevet.
The guy is a super fit rower, and has ridden a few stages in the Giro delle Dolomiti, so he knows what he is letting himself into.
Anyway at 185 cm he is probably a 58cm frame.
He hired a 58cm Cervelo for Giro delle Dolomiti and it was quite good - he should have changed the stem and saddle, but it was ok two days in the Dolomites.
At home he rides his dad's Colnago (but it's not quite right for him), I am trying to get him to buy a bike but at the moment he is reluctant.
Two questions
1. What good bike shops in/ near Andermatt that might help him out
2. What suggestions have you got - I am trying to make him see the advantages of buying a suitable bike.
Thank you all

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

Folks...
Once again, is it possible to hire a top end bike (58cm) in the Andermatt region of Switzerland, or even anywhere close by - and have it brought to Andermatt?

basilic

by basilic

I doubt you can rent a road bike in Andermatt, let alone high end. One outfit (www.bikeundevent.ch) seems to rent fatbikes and mtbs, I suggest you contact them to ask if they know of any road rental shop. Best bet would be to rent in Zurich or Geneva (wherever you fly into). In Geneva try Bike switzerland, they rent treks, speak English.

If you want to preview the Furka, Susten, Grimsel course, Tour de Suisse will ride that on 22-23 June (forget which day).

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

Basilic,
Thank you for this reply. I will follow up your suggestions and continue to persuade my friend to go and buy a decent bike
Any advice, suggestions re. Alpenbrevet, Andermatt cycling in Switzerland will be gratefully received