Tumble drying cycling kit

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
mattr

by mattr

xcnick wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:09 am
I never said I had one set of winter kit! I have several but when you’re used to Assos winter tights at £150+ the cost really adds up when buying more stuff.
Don't commute in Assos?
It's too expensive to do that in! I moved down a couple of steps (or bought it all in end of season clearance sales. So half price or less.)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

I think you should commute in ASSOS! Not least because I work for them. But also the repair / crash replacement policy.

mattr

by mattr

Is there a "wear out because the use/wash ratio is way out of whack" replacement policy.

A summer of 5 days a week use/wash and they are only fit for the bin.
They might do two winters, but only as winter is shorter. And only as my bike has mudguards.

TonyM

by TonyM

What’s about spinning the clothes in the washing machine? Do you use it that way ? If yes low, medium or high?

AJS914

by AJS914

I've never worried about the washing machine but I do put bibs in a wash bag so that they don't get tangled on other things.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

TonyM wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:54 pm
What’s about spinning the clothes in the washing machine? Do you use it that way ? If yes low, medium or high?
You're not supposed to spin them too much.

I do at 1600 though.... :noidea: I might be a little less precious about my cycling clothing though, by virtue of my job!

madik

by madik

Bought a dryer year ago and I do use it on almost everything. Cant see any major negative effects so far (.. ok some reflective glued stickers on castelli leg warmers are pealing off). Only things that I dont put into dryer are garmin heart rate strap, castelli superleggera windprpoof jacket, cycling caps (plastic in the shield is too sensitive to high temperatures and bends). I also try to not put into dryer membrane jackets (too expensive to risk it).
But everything else I put into dryer and dont care. And summer cycling kits are just fine.

"Do not tumble dry" label is a manufacturer's scam I believe and incompetence. I would maybe pay a little extra for a high quality garments that are designed, tested and labeled for use in dryer but as it appers, manufacturers just put "Do not tumble dry" as a default on everything without any thoughts. Dryer is great for making my life easier (living in a small appartment) as I dont have to hang everything in a balcony (uggh..) or on a dryer in my room in a winter months..
Functionality > Performance > Weight

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

supertemp wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:21 am
We hang our kit on one of those indoor hanging frames, in a small room with a dehumidifier. Works great and always dry by morning, both Winter and Summer gear.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
+1 on this and my cycle kit room is in the basement. When I hang my tights and bib shorts to dry I always turn the shorts inside out so the chamois is exposed and with the tights I will fold the shoulder straps down and position the hanger right at the chamois to expose it as much as possible to enable quicker drying time. Always good to go the next day.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

Conza

by Conza

xcnick wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:06 pm
My commute is about to go from 5 mile daily to 30 mile daily so I’ll Either have to buy tonnes more kit or try and get it washed and dried fast (not easy)
Does anyone tumble dry their kit without any harm?
DHB bibs, and charity ride / grand fondo jerseys. Tumble drying both, NO problem. These are usually indestructible, and if destroyed, don't care. I've commuted like 7 years, rotating a few DHB bibs and still alive, no problem. Amazinggggg value.

Just get more kit.

Rapha stuff for weekends, group rides etc. and NEVER tumble drying.
It's all about the adventure :o .

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

madik wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:22 am
Bought a dryer year ago and I do use it on almost everything. Cant see any major negative effects so far (.. ok some reflective glued stickers on castelli leg warmers are pealing off). Only things that I dont put into dryer are garmin heart rate strap, castelli superleggera windprpoof jacket, cycling caps (plastic in the shield is too sensitive to high temperatures and bends). I also try to not put into dryer membrane jackets (too expensive to risk it).
But everything else I put into dryer and dont care. And summer cycling kits are just fine.

"Do not tumble dry" label is a manufacturer's scam I believe and incompetence. I would maybe pay a little extra for a high quality garments that are designed, tested and labeled for use in dryer but as it appers, manufacturers just put "Do not tumble dry" as a default on everything without any thoughts. Dryer is great for making my life easier (living in a small appartment) as I dont have to hang everything in a balcony (uggh..) or on a dryer in my room in a winter months..
Why would manufacturers try to scam you into not using a dryer?

Manufacturers do it, because either some or all of the materials will be sensitive to heat and shrink. Often it is only the stitching which will shrink - that not so bad, but is detrimental and is easily avoided. Other times it is shortening the life. Elastic fibres loose elasticity over time. Heat from dryers (or sublimation) dramatically accelerates this.

(I no longer work for a clothing company)

glepore

by glepore

Yeah, I'm with RTW. Logos peel off, seams pucker, chamois go away. Get more get and hang dry.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

TonyM

by TonyM

I think the post of madik was sarcastic in reference to the election in the US .....

AJS914

by AJS914

I think manufacturers just say no dryer because it would be too nuanced to say to only use a low temperature mode or delicate mode. Our dryer will cook your clothes if you leave it on "normal".

I've never had a problem with cycling clothes on the lowest temperature setting but I only do it if I'm in a rush otherwise I just hang them.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

robertbb wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:44 am
Good luck trying to get it dry quickly if it's merino. Biggest sham for active wear, ever. Massively overhyped.
Yep. :thumbup: The only thing that I own that is made of wool is a poncho! :lol:
I wouldn't mind if they touted the eco benefits of wool but they never do. It's all about wool's "performace". :shock:

I'm another one that says don't tumble dry. It's too harsh on synthetic clothes. They always dry faster than you think and then it overcooks. If you do do it, periodically monitor them every 5 minutes or so. Or if you have to, dry them separately, don't mix them in with your normal clothes. By the time the cotton stuff is dry the synthetics are fried. :wink:

I think it's alright to spin your cycling kit, I always do it at the maximum setting :twisted: , that obviously helps [all] clothes to air dry (a lot). Here in Australia we air dry everything (including cotton stuff). On the odd days that that doesn't work, I suggest a cheapy drying rack. They can be bought very cheaply.
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nismosr

by nismosr

bilwit wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:12 pm
I put it in the washing machine and hang it in the shower. It's completely dry in the morning. Not an issue.
This I do on all my kits !
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante