You want politics? i'll give you some REAL politics... how come people who only

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Catagory6

by Catagory6

use campagnolo are referred to as "campy snobs", but nobody has ever once called someone who only uses shimano as a "shimmy-snob"?

put up yer dukes, cuz i just came at you swingin'

otoman

by otoman

And people that use only SRAM are called “noobs”
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Catagory6

by Catagory6

otoman wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:39 am
And people that use only SRAM are called “noobs” Image
oh dude, that was harsh, and it made me re-think the obvious divisivness of my original post.

i think even a certain other OP would be circumspect of my subject matter

this thread is turning ugly, my APOLOGIES for going over-board POLITICAL, in a decidedly non-political forum....

SCREW YOU SHIMANO

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

I always wonder where word “Campy” came from. Did lazy, or should I say cool millennials came up with it? HELLO?! I’m talking to you. Repeat after me “Cam - pani - o - lo“ not “Campy”. Isn’t this the exact generation that start making up their own short lexicon? Yes, indeed. Loud and proud.

Anyways, James does a much better job of expressing his opinion www.lavelocita.cc/opinion-page/why-i-love-campagnolo
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

liam7020

by liam7020

mpulsiv wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:16 am
I always wonder where word “Campy” came from. Did lazy, or should I say cool millennials came up with it? HELLO?! I’m talking to you. Repeat after me “Cam - pani - o - lo“ not “Campy”. Isn’t this the exact generation that start making up their own short lexicon? Yes, indeed. Loud and proud.

Anyways, James does a much better job of expressing his opinion www.lavelocita.cc/opinion-page/why-i-love-campagnolo
Always thought Campy was a North America thing? Apart from the cool noobs, on this side of the pond we've always referred to them as Campag which at least is marginally more accurate!!
Last edited by liam7020 on Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

AJS914

by AJS914

People have been saying Campy since I started riding in the late 70s and I would assume before that.

silvalis

by silvalis

sh*tmano...
Chasse patate

liam7020

by liam7020

AJS914 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:36 am
People have been saying Campy since I started riding in the late 70s and I would assume before that.
Where do you live?
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

L3X

by L3X

liam7020 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:34 am
Always thought Campy was a North America thing? Apart from the cool noobs, on this side of the pond we've always referred to them as Campag which at least is marginally more accurate!!
Agree, actually talking to people I've never heard anyone call it Campy here in Europe... Campag is pretty common though :)

robeambro

by robeambro

mpulsiv wrote:
Repeat after me “Cam - pani - o - lo“
Eeerm no. The "Gn" is a very characteristic Italian sound, which may be tricky for foreigners, but it is necessary for a correct pronunciation.
There's plenty of resources online to listen how to correctly pronounce it, so I won't go too much into detail.

If you have to butcher the Italian pronunciation, you might as well say "Campy". :smartass:

2old4this

by 2old4this

OK, I am dying to ask this for a little while. ..

Why is it so offensive to call the Campy break/shifter combo as brifter? I get it; the break lever does not shift. But why on earth is brifter so offensive?

jih

by jih

robeambro wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:47 am
mpulsiv wrote:
Repeat after me “Cam - pani - o - lo“
Eeerm no. The "Gn" is a very characteristic Italian sound, which may be tricky for foreigners, but it is necessary for a correct pronunciation.
There's plenty of resources online to listen how to correctly pronounce it, so I won't go too much into detail.
Indeed, it isn't really a hard 'g' sound at all. The closest I can think of from English is the 'gn' in 'align' - more like a 'y'. Nothing like the 'n' sound from the 'gn' in 'gnostic'.

'pani' is pretty suspect too. I'd write it phoenetically more like 'Cam - pan - ylow - lo'

For what it's worth, Shimano in Japanese is more like a hard French 'a' than the way we usually say it. Not "shim- arh - no", and more 'sh - man - o"

micky

by micky

How much does it weight?

mag

by mag

Even Campagnolo themselves use the term Campy in some occassions. But I suppose they haven't started it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Moved this to Chat for obvious reasons.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.