You want politics? i'll give you some REAL politics... how come people who only

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

AJS914

by AJS914

liam7020 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:52 am
AJS914 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:36 am
People have been saying Campy since I started riding in the late 70s and I would assume before that.
Where do you live?

I grew up in northern California near San Francisco.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kbbpll

by kbbpll

I agree that I've heard "Campy" since the 80s. Maybe it came over from Australia, since they love to put the "ee" sound at the end of everything. 8)

liam7020

by liam7020

AJS914 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:53 pm
Dunno what they say in Oz but Campy is definitely a north American thing. In 40 years of bike riding in the British Isles and Europe I've never heard anything but Campag! And it shows where the EPS market mainly lies when the app is called MyCampy....!
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Catagory6 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:23 am
use campagnolo are referred to as "campy snobs", but nobody has ever once called someone who only uses shimano as a "shimmy-snob"?
Just because it is/was more expensive, Italian, and in North America in the last 20 - 30 years, less common. Other brands lack this status which limits their "snob" potential.

I use it because the relative rarity does convey a higher level of exclusiveness. I get more appreciative glances when I bring my Campagnolo equipped bike out on group rides then my bikes with other groupsets. So it accomplishes what I expected. If I refused to use, let alone acknowledge the quality of other brands, that would indeed make me a campy snob.

So what of it? Some people cling to brands as part of their personal identity or personal "brand". You literally hear people say "I'm a Campy guy". And part of that involves rejecting the competition. It can be very satisfying and fulfilling for some and shouldn't be looked down upon. It's part of typical consumer behviour. Superficial in-and-of itself perhaps, but not an impediment to an idividual having other more substantive values. Love your Campy if you must.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

wingguy

by wingguy

mpulsiv wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:16 am
I always wonder where word “Campy” came from. Did lazy, or should I say cool millennials came up with it? HELLO?! I’m talking to you. Repeat after me “Cam - pani - o - lo“ not “Campy”.
You should tell these guys they're doing it wrong!

And I was once firmly assured by a rider I met that the correct pronunciation is 'Compolongo'. As far as I'm concerned, that settles the matter :P

Discodan

by Discodan

liam7020 wrote:
AJS914 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:53 pm
Dunno what they say in Oz but Campy is definitely a north American thing. In 40 years of bike riding in the British Isles and Europe I've never heard anything but Campag! And it shows where the EPS market mainly lies when the app is called MyCampy....!
In Australia we call it “Campafuginyolo” most of the time, it rolls off the tongue at lot easier for our native Stralyin speakers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Campag is decidedly British. I only hear this diminutive used there.

Campy was indeed used by Campagnolo itself through the years, but not recently to my knowledge.

Campagnolo is snobby because it is functional art, where as other brands (e.g. Shimano) may be more viewed as purely functional.

And then there is SRAM, which is basically the pimply, ginger cousin most people try to ignore at family gatherings. (<-- comments like this are another reason why Campagnolo loyalists are considered snobs.)

robertbb

by robertbb

kbbpll wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:50 pm
I agree that I've heard "Campy" since the 80s. Maybe it came over from Australia, since they love to put the "ee" sound at the end of everything. 8)
Yep. Over here "Campy" is what it's called almost exclusively.

The way our slang goes, it could also easily have been: Camp-o or Camp-ah.

My FD alignment tool is labelled Campy. Pretty sure I saw a prototype hydraulic Campagnolo groupset labelled "Campy" as well.

wingguy

by wingguy

Stolichnaya wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:30 am
Campy was indeed used by Campagnolo itself through the years, but not recently to my knowledge.
They use it now, quite extensively.

Rondje

by Rondje

We just call it Campa

MichaelB

by MichaelB

kbbpll wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:50 pm
Nope. Not us.

We shorten words and then put "o" at the end of it.

e.g.
Service station (where you buy petrol) becomes 'servo'
Bottle shop (buy grog or liquor for you Americans) becomes 'bottle o'
Housing trust tenants (those that get subsidised housing) baecome 'houso's'

Ad infinitim :D

kbbpll

by kbbpll

Sure, but there's also barbie (BBQ), Brizzie (Brisbane), breckie (breakfast), stubby (bottle beer), bikie (motorcyclist)... But yeah, I guess it should be Campo down under.

The operative word in this discussion is "snob". There's "gear snobs" in everything. Personally, I can't stand them, skiied with a couple guys extensively for a couple years and on the lifts it was just this endless blah blah blah about whose boots were better and whose skis were better and finally I never did anything with them again because of it. But it sure drives sales, I guess.

sawyer

by sawyer

I love the hood shape, levers and the aesthetics of the cranks and a few other bits. And the old fashioned racing car bang of the gear change on mechanical (when it works). Their wheels are the best on the market.

The point made earlier that Campo/Campy/Campag/Camp-peen-now-looo riders are suspected by many others to be snobs (unfairly) is right. And it's straight snobbery.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

monkeytusmc

by monkeytusmc

Personally i prefer SRAM. You can send me all your SRAM groupsets. I wouldn’t want you to be seen with such a low class crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

2old4this wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:19 am
OK, I am dying to ask this for a little while. ..
Why is it so offensive to call the Campy break/shifter combo as brifter? I get it; the break lever does not shift. But why on earth is brifter so offensive?
Because it's a horrible mash-up of a word. Just call the thing an ergo shifter if it's Campag, an STI unit if it's Shimano, God only knows if it's Sram.