Got a ticket on a road bike :roll:

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

TLN

by TLN

kbbpll wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:56 am
It's been a long time since I lived in IL, so my questions and advice is probably worthless, but here goes. What does "on my record" mean, exactly? Here in CO, you get "points" on your license. I mean, this is just a "moving violation" / traffic violation, right? What that means here is 1) auto insurance sees that and can raise your rates or deny coverage; however, most companies have a certain number of "points" to exceed before they raise your rates, and it mostly impacts you when you're shopping around to change insurance - they all ask if you got a ticket in the last 3 or 5 years. 2) if you accumulate more than a certain number of points in a certain timeframe, your driver's license is suspended.

So, if you don't own a car, I see little impact. If you plan on getting one (and insurance), call a few companies and find out how a violation on a bike impacts your ability to get insurance on a car, or the cost.
That's pretty much what I though.
I plead guilty, pay fine and get points on my record. Or Pay a bit more, take the class and no points on my record. Record means license.
Not really into court thing: this will take at least two days, I don't have a car to get there, and so on. Is it doable? Yes, for sure. Is it worth it? Probably no.
I won't bet on cop not showing up. Even when I asked, what is fine for my serious violation, he replied something "well, you have options, may not need to pay it, please read your ticket". I agree, that he's getting paid for that extra time, and won't bet on not showing up.

Interesting, that my ticket doesn't say "bike, car, or etc", field where he suppose to mark it is empty. IDK, if that helps me fighting the ticket though. I got my name/license/address, location and offense: traffic sign disobey or something. Nothing else.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bilwit

by bilwit

kbbpll wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:56 am
But don't count on that. A good friend of mine got busted, on his bike, going 55 mph down a really steep hill in a 35 zone, with two buddies. One of the buddies was a lawyer. Talked them all into taking it to court. Got all the way through the process described above, cop shows up though, judge wasn't having any of it with their defense (not sure what it was, bikes don't have speedometers or something), and they all got fined.
:lol: classic