What size ultrasonic cleaner?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

uraqt

by uraqt

Commited to removing the chain to clean and wax... if you are using an ultrasonic cleaner what size and what brand?

This is my 1st choice but I think it might be small?

https://www.amazon.com/UC-20D-PRO-Profe ... b_title_hi

C

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Most of the 6L ones on ebay look big enough to comfortably take a chain and casette without issue. The ones to fit a chainring are huge tho.
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beanbiken

by beanbiken

I'm actually expecting a 3l one for fathers day. I have recently started hot waxing, will report once received whether larger would be better. I'm expecting it will fit chain and cassette not really planing to use it for CR's as apparently the anodised finish can be attacked so I'll just do them by hand.

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

uraqt

by uraqt

Thanks @beanbiken... I went with the 2L one, I only bought one as I was going to use a crockpot to melt the wax, but I re-read the friction facts artical and they are using 2 one for clean and one for melting and mixing .. so sounds like I might be getting a 2nd one : ) got to go all in!!!! : )

C

JoO

by JoO

I just bought the cheapest one for jewellery.
For rewaxing I pour boiling water + washing up liquid in de ultrasonic cleaner.
Wash out with alcohol in an old bidon
For waxing I use a cheap rice cooker.

kode54

by kode54

i use one crock pot but have 2 inserts (metal containers that come out). one for reuse and dirty and one for clean wax. i just swap the inserts when I want to rewax or apply new wax. its a lunch crock pot to keep food warm.
uraqt wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:19 pm
Thanks @beanbiken... I went with the 2L one, I only bought one as I was going to use a crockpot to melt the wax, but I re-read the friction facts artical and they are using 2 one for clean and one for melting and mixing .. so sounds like I might be getting a 2nd one : ) got to go all in!!!! : )

C
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

oh, to answer the OP question...I have a 2L one for small parts and chain. easier to fill with less waste. i don't ultrasonic my chain rings.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

ManekiNico

by ManekiNico

I can confirm a 2L ultrasonic cleaner is plenty big for chains and most parts, but obviously not chainrings. I wouldn't get hung up on the brand as I suspect many of these are made in the same one or two factories and sold under a variety of names.

As far as slow cookers go, I went too small (Rival 2 Qt) which makes using MSW's "swisher" a struggle. I regret not buying a slightly bigger or oval-shaped crock-pot.
Mom: He was very sickly until he started riding around on that bicycle.
Dad: Yeah... well... now his body’s fine, but his mind is gone.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Just saw this... and I'm sure you already bought one, but for reference... Size it one size larger than your cassette (sitting in the mesh basket). Also get the heated unit. A metal lid is easier to clean, as plastic gets that layer of grease on it. Otherwise, get the cheapest one.

Lessons learned - don't put any plastics with ink/paint in there (think your roof rack towers with the logo) as the ink will be removed. Some steel tools have an oil finish, don't put these in without re-oiling them. Run just about every car part through it, but nothing with a coating (throttle bodies). Don't put RX glasses in there (glare coatings) .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com