Need shoes recommendation

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

addictR1

by addictR1

looking for a new pair of cycling shoes. prefer full carbon sole for stiffness. price range under $250 if possible. size 43 and in WIDE.

thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KCookie

by KCookie

Not to sure on the price but I have the Shimano RC9 in 43w, awesome shoes. Tried a few Lakes and didn't get on with them at all.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

numberSix

by numberSix

I never had any luck getting a wide shoe on sale; sizes 43-45 seem the first to sell out.

I have Shimano SH-R320-Ws, and just bought the XC9 wide for mtb. Very impressed with the fit and functional durability of Shimano shoes. The cosmetics don't last quite as well, but the fit and sole width are about perfect. I.e. wide fore-foot but medium-ish heel width and retention.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

I"m kinda partial to Giro, I have Factor Techlace for Road, and Empire VR90s for CX/off road and given a do-over, I'd probably go with the Empire SLX or Prolight for road, and if you deal search, you could probably find them in that price range. IMHO, Boa just doesn't stay tight over long rides like laces and velcro do, at least not a single Boa.

I know Giro offers some of their shoes in wide. I would say stay away from Fiz'ik. I had a pair of their shoes and they were a bit narrower in the toe box. The Giro's are much more comfortable once you get to the 3+ hour point.

I also have a pair of Northwave winter boots, which are fine, but I don't now how that relates to regular shoes as they are A. boots, and B. a size big to accomodate thick socks.

I haven't had any other brands in at least the last 15 years, so I can't speak to anything else (had Specialized and Shimano back then, both were fine).
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

uraqt

by uraqt

I always post, pay the extra $$$ and get the last shoe you will own "Sidi"...Seriously they will last forever and they a wide option.

C

numberSix

by numberSix

Sidi Mega are a high volume upper, on the standard width sole. The issue is when you pull up, the sides collapse to the sole’s width.

Yes they make nice shoes that last, but the sole width is a major problem IMO.

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

The OP asked for wide shoes
IMO the Giro Empire SLX are quite narrow

Shimano RC 9, S Phyre, are quite wide but I found one of the BOAs would rub on my feet
RC 7s are much more comfortable & cheaper

I'm currently riding Specialized Sub 6, which I find fit my feet & riding style well.
I got a great deal, may still be able to get S-Works 6 at a reasonable price
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

uraqt

by uraqt

numberSix wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:32 am
Sidi Mega are a high volume upper, on the standard width sole. The issue is when you pull up, the sides collapse to the sole’s width.

Yes they make nice shoes that last, but the sole width is a major problem IMO.
No, you are just wrong

MEGA LAST

• 4 mm wider across the ball of the foot

• More volume, a high instep and a wider heel cup

• Mega lasts are EE o EEE width

mvnsnd

by mvnsnd

The Lake CX-218 Wide would fit the OP requirements.

numberSix

by numberSix

Ok you win the internet. I called Sidi to confirm what I wrote. I’ll send them your contact information so you can retrain their tech staff, or help them fix their ad copy. And if you really need wide shoes, 4mm ain’t shite. I guess most people don’t pull up.
———

MEGA LAST

• 4 mm wider across the ball of the foot

• More volume, a high instep and a wider heel cup

• Mega lasts are EE o EEE width

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

I haven’t found a shimano rc9 in local lbs to try out. Lake shoes are hard to come by in local shops here in California ices are limited. Found a distributor for Bont, so will give check it out tomorrow and see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk