Dolomites Summer Tour Accommodation Location

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

RivetRider

by RivetRider

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to organise a summer trip fro my Uni cycling club to go to the Dolomites (this year we went ot Bourg d'Oisans). In particular I'm looking for accomodation which would be in cycling distance (170 km round trip) to both the Passo Giau and the Zoncolan. Has anyone who has travelled to this region have any tips/locations for good acomadtion in the region in general?

Thanks,
RivetRider
have you tried riding your bike harder?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

You could look at places in Cortina d'Ampezzo. It'd be nearer 200km round trip to the Zoncolan, but you'd be right at the foot of the Giau between it and and Tre Cime, and could easily ride out to the classic Sella Ronda loop and back - kind of a tweaked version of the Maratona - and plenty more of the most famous Dolomite passes.

c50jim

by c50jim

I've been in the DOlomites many times and both the most poular areas and Zoncolan area the last two years. It's a REALLY long way from anywhere you'd want to ride and Ovaro at the foot of the Zoncolan. I think the only realistic alternative is a transfer early in the morning and back at the end of the day. We did Corvara (the best place to stay in my opinion) to Ovaro last month and it was something like 170 km. So even from Cortina (a more expensive tourist trap about 35 km from Corvara) you'd be looking at over 300 km if you tried to do a round trip.

micky

by micky

As said above, Zoncolan is a bit out on its own.
I suggest as well to base somewhere else and go around there by car.

Vagabond

by Vagabond

I was planning on the Dolomites this autumn but they might have to wait until next year. I did a bunch of research and concluded that Corvara was the best town for basing out of for rides. There are several inclusive bike hotels there from the super plush Hotel La Perla to several that are much more affordable. All include the half board including breakfast and amzing chow for dinner and bike rooms that securely store your bike and provide stands and tools if you need them. Have fun and post picutres. I'll be just south of you spending a eight days riding around Lake Garda.
Colnago e Campagnolo

jasjas

by jasjas

i'd look at chalets for accomodation in and around Corvara, La villa, San Cassiano, far cheaper than hotels.
There are loads of climbs around that area.
https://www.altabadia.org/en/info/touri ... badia.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jockeywilson

by jockeywilson

Went in August, stayed in agordo. Loads of amazing climbing around there. Duran, Pordoi, Fedaia, Giau, campolongo, sella, Falzarego etc. Agordo a great base, lots of the other small towns have bugger all in terms of eateries or bars. Easy access from Venice airport too.