ProBikeKit.com - Are they legit?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

mattr wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:14 am
Like i say, i reckon MisterNoChain works for Wiggle/CRC or one of the other big web retailers.
Or Evans.
It's either that, or really really really crap at phrasing google searches.
I just did a google search on Probikekit + reviews, and at the top of my list this site shows. 112 out of 148 1 star reviews, sorry i didnt do the math, it's only 76%. Should this make me feel confident at buying there?

No i dont work at Wiggle or CRC, i just wanted to warn the topicstarter about what i've read. Feel free to buy there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

I have done, many times, both as a UK resident and an international customer.
I've never had an issue.

And a huge number of the issues seem to lie with the buyer. (Orders the wrong thing, can't read, doesn't check currency type and so on) or having a shit postal service.
Which you can have with any web seller.

robertbb

by robertbb

As I said above, never had an issue with PBK and I've bought a ton from them.

I wonder what the ratio is of happy vs unhappy buyers leaving reviews. I'd imagine it's the positive experiences that tend to go unreported. 148 reviews isn't a lot in total... with the volume of stuff PBK moves you'd expect that is a tiny percentage.

But on the topic of shops to avoid. Bikeinn / Tradeinn. Simply avoid at all costs. I should start a separate thread on that. Thousands of angry people across multiple review websites. STAY AWAY!

KCookie

by KCookie

Well I have just ordered 3 tyres from them so I will keep you all posted. I've never had any problems with them before so I'm expecting they will arrive in Australia in about 7-10 days.

NickJHP

by NickJHP

I've ordered from them multiple times, and have never had a problem. Biggest item I can recall ordering from them was a pair of Dura-Ace C24 wheels...

RivetRider

by RivetRider

I recently bought a Rotor ALDHU crankset from PBK. After deciding that I no longer wanted it (after a week). I returned it no poblems. They belong to the Hut Group, a large company on the UK with other online outlets (MyProtein being most notable) so I think they are legit. Probably just wanting to find out who is responsible for the loss of the item for insurance/legal reasons. Someone, somewhere has got those wheels, let's hope they are enjoying them at least. Best of luck with getting your money back, although I can't see there being much of a case about not getting it back.
have you tried riding your bike harder?

RyanH

by RyanH

I've purchased probably $5k or or more of stuff from in 2016 and 2017. Primarily tubular tires, Boras (x2) and the last thing was Mavic Cosmic Ultimate. They're fine until there's a problem. With the Cosmic Ultimates, they were defective. It took almost a month of communication (all indicating they were going to get the RMA processed) of nothing happening before I finally issued a charge back with Amex. A few days later I had my RMA in my inbox. Amex definitely came through for me on that. My wife's experience with a charge back through Chase, while she ultimately won, was a significantly different experience.

robertbb

by robertbb

RyanH wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:28 pm
I've purchased probably $5k or or more of stuff from in 2016 and 2017. Primarily tubular tires, Boras (x2) and the last thing was Mavic Cosmic Ultimate. They're fine until there's a problem. With the Cosmic Ultimates, they were defective. It took almost a month of communication (all indicating they were going to get the RMA processed) of nothing happening before I finally issued a charge back with Amex. A few days later I had my RMA in my inbox. Amex definitely came through for me on that. My wife's experience with a charge back through Chase, while she ultimately won, was a significantly different experience.
How does a chargeback actually work? Does your bank need authority from the sellers bank to do it?

I'm currently trying to get my bank to charge back an item from Bikeinn / Tradeinn (hence my post above). Their scam (widely reported on multiple review sites) is that if you return something to them they simply don't accept the parcel back (they get a letter from Spanish customs) and it simply sits there in customs and doesn't move (2 months and counting). I've provided all the evidence to my bank but they're still saying it's up to the seller to "agree" to the chargeback... :noidea:

nismosr

by nismosr

robertbb wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:30 am
As I said above, never had an issue with PBK and I've bought a ton from them.

I wonder what the ratio is of happy vs unhappy buyers leaving reviews. I'd imagine it's the positive experiences that tend to go unreported. 148 reviews isn't a lot in total... with the volume of stuff PBK moves you'd expect that is a tiny percentage.

But on the topic of shops to avoid. Bikeinn / Tradeinn. Simply avoid at all costs. I should start a separate thread on that. Thousands of angry people across multiple review websites. STAY AWAY!
oh so sorry about your problem with Bikeinn, I have only used them once when I bought a rotor Carbon Chainring and even recommended a ride buddy, we received our order with in 2 weeks.
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2022 Ridley Kanzo Adv Rival/GX AXS-Zipp 303s
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2022 Basso Palta 2-Rival/GX AXS-Zipp 303s
2023 Colnagno G3X-SRAM Force-Levante

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Over the last 10 years or so, I have ordered several dozen times from them. Largest and most expensive order was a pair of LightWeight tubular they had at one point!. Everything well packed and shipped very quickly. Have never been charged import taxes either. Things get to me sometimes in FL at an alarmingly quick speed. Example, I bought some tubular tyres from them that got here 2 days later. Contrast that with taking 1-2 weeks regularly for stuff mailed within the US including an online retailer that is literally 75 miles away!!! Longest I have waited for something was about 2 weeks. No CC issues or problems so far, of course, until now that I said it!!

rlpaul

by rlpaul

I've received the blue bags (do they still ship in blue bags?) multiple times. Never had an issue, although time to arrival was always random. Could be a few days, could be two weeks. Can't speak to their customer service, but the shipping service has been good (getting the item shipped, not the processing time after it was picked up).

KCookie

by KCookie

KCookie wrote:Well I have just ordered 3 tyres from them so I will keep you all posted. I've never had any problems with them before so I'm expecting they will arrive in Australia in about 7-10 days.
Again no problem at all. My parcel arrived 7 days after delivery. Well packaged as usual.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

biwa

by biwa

Can anyone confirm if they charge your card in USD or GBP when you order from the US (all prices are shown in USD)? Thanks.

kbbpll

by kbbpll

The price shown in USD is what they charged my cc, in USD. This was a couple years ago though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KCookie

by KCookie

They always charge of you country of origin. When I go on their website it always shows in AU dollars. So if in USA that what it would be.
Good prices and delivery, I've never had any problems as some have suggested.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk