Riding and wedding ring

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

Hello all,

I wanted to ask what you guys do with your wedding ring while riding:

- keep it on? The simplest option, however googling for wedding ring avulsion gives me an uneasy feeling regarding this - in particular since in general I ride without gloves, I am terrified of the ring getting caught on something in the case of a crash.

- remove it? Seems a safer option. Especially when the ride starts at home it is easy to leave the ring on the bedside table or something. However when starting the ride from some hotel room or the car I am not sure where (except my finger) I should keep the ring while riding without risking to loose it.

What do you guys do, and why?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cro2

by cro2

For the last two years since I've been married, I've always kept my wedding ring on. During that time I had one very nasty crash during a race and the ring didn't event get a scratch. The chances that the ring catches something on its way when you fall is pretty slim - it's hard to scratch it, let alone cause damage to your hand. This is quite contrary to e.g. rock climbing, where you can REALLY hurt yourself by wearing a wedding ring on.

Stueys

by Stueys

If you are worried then just leave it at home on the bedside table. Out of harms way then. Mines a simple platinum band and I tend to just wear it, there's more likelyhood of it scratching or dinging my bike then coming to any damage.

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

Just to be clear, I am not worried about damaging the ring I am worried about seriously injuring my finger because of wearing a ring.

But maybe cro2 is right and the risk of this happening is so small that it is not worth worrying about. I guess it is difficult to access how likely it is to hurt oneself by wearing the wedding ring while riding...

Another option would be to tape over it when starting a ride at a hotel room or car, although I am not sure if this makes things any safer.

exctasy

by exctasy

i ride with my ring on.
Maybe i should remove it, perhaps i can climb faster! :D

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Wearing it, always, even on the bike for almost 8 years straight now.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

mattr

by mattr

Always take it off.
If I'm going from home it stays in the bedside table.
If I'm away from home it goes in my wallet.
Almost always wear gloves too.

Have one family friend who partially degloved a finger (fixed surgically, still has problems today, 15 years later) and one with no ring finger (my father watched him fall off! He eventually had the little finger amputated due to breaking it so many times). And three or four friends/acquaintances/team mates who've damaged fingers. (Breaks, partial deglove).
All due to rings and falls off the bike. Usually putting a hand out as well.

And just before summer vacation a colleague damaged his getting knocked off his bike. Not seen the fall out yet. But rumour is that he'll lose the finger.

TBH i really can't see why you wouldn't take it off.

FWIW i also have to take it off in parts of the factory, any of the prototype workshops and have done in my last 3 or 4 jobs.
It also comes off if I'm working on the bikes/cars/house using power tools and stuff like that.
Seen a few crush injuries made worse by rings being in the way.

sychen

by sychen

For myself as a general rule for most sports is to take it off and put it on my neckchain or bedside.

Why?

Football:falls off with sweat and contact
Surfing(all water sports really) : water
Rock climbing: no degloving thanks.
Cycling: don't like ring against bar feel and fear it falling off due to sweat. Don't always wear gloves in Aussie summer.
Even look it off skiing as it's come off inside the glove before.

Those are the reasons why I take it off.. Or maybe I'm not as fat as I was?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

WinterRider

by WinterRider

No gloves? Ever been done even at a slow clip?

Reconsider that choice.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

Conza

by Conza

mattr wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:02 pm
Always take it off.
If I'm going from home it stays in the bedside table.
If I'm away from home it goes in my wallet.
Almost always wear gloves too.

Have one family friend who partially degloved a finger (fixed surgically, still has problems today, 15 years later) and one with no ring finger (my father watched him fall off! He eventually had the little finger amputated due to breaking it so many times). And three or four friends/acquaintances/team mates who've damaged fingers. (Breaks, partial deglove).
All due to rings and falls off the bike. Usually putting a hand out as well.

And just before summer vacation a colleague damaged his getting knocked off his bike. Not seen the fall out yet. But rumour is that he'll lose the finger.

TBH i really can't see why you wouldn't take it off.

FWIW i also have to take it off in parts of the factory, any of the prototype workshops and have done in my last 3 or 4 jobs.
It also comes off if I'm working on the bikes/cars/house using power tools and stuff like that.
Seen a few crush injuries made worse by rings being in the way.
:shock:
It's all about the adventure :o .

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I take mine off, and either leave it on my dresser, cupholder in my car, or inside a shoe.

The reason I take it off is because as I sweat, it starts to slide, and I'm worried it will fall off. Also, it is a bit large. (It's been sized down twice in the 13 years we've been married and could probably be sized down again. (Also, it's been 13 years since I started cycling. Not a coincidence.)) I also take it off when I lift because I don't want to scratch it up on the bar grips.

Anyway, I did lose it once, about six months after we got married. I was clearing snow and not wearing gloves, and somewhere along the way it flew off. I searched and searched, and started formulating plans to replace it without letting my wife know, and was just about to give up, and I saw something shiny under a car about 20 feet away. There it was. I'd prefer not to go through that again.

Alex222

by Alex222

I remove mine for cycling and hockey. If the relevant finger gets broken then the hospital are likely to have to cut the ring off. Having had a finger badly broken playing hockey I don't want to take the risk.

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

I crashed with my ring on. It was badly damaged and needed a jewler to fix. On the bright side, when it came back from being fixed, it was like brand new and 20+ years of wear/tarnish were absolutely gone. I still wear it on rides, but have considered one of those silicone things instead.

When i played ice hockey, I did remove the ring and left it at home. It always felt odd however.

sychen

by sychen

WinterRider wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:11 pm

Reconsider that choice.
ya its a risk ..
Used to always wear gloves... but as I'm riding alot during our winter in the early mornings.. start with gloves and i'm always taking them off as it gets too hot and sweaty later in the morning..
Not going to take another pair for a ride.. so ride the second half without.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WinterRider

by WinterRider

sychen wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:29 pm
WinterRider wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:11 pm

Reconsider that choice.
ya its a risk ..
Used to always wear gloves... but as I'm riding alot during our winter in the early mornings.. start with gloves and i'm always taking them off as it gets too hot and sweaty later in the morning..
Not going to take another pair for a ride.. so ride the second half without.
Used to ride cold winter allot.. leather<----. Breathes.. and more protection when the hand slides across that rough asphalt. Road rash anywhere.. particularly the hand.. is bad news. Been there....
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.