First crash on my bike, very bad. Update 30.3.19

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

KCookie

by KCookie

Calnago wrote:Butcher brings up a good point. I just got a new Garmin 1030 and it's got brilliant map features for sure but one of the things that could prove very useful is a warning for upcoming sharp bends or turns ahead. Could be extremely useful for descending mountains where the turn ahead is unknown to you. It also has "incident detection" so if you were out riding alone and suddenly found yourself unconscious on the other side of a guard rail not readily visible to passing traffic etc., the Garmin automatically notifies someone (You set this up prior of course) which I think is really good. I can think of at least a couple of times where I could have benefitted from this. The other thing that's useful for riding alone (or even in a group where people might not know you very well), is a RoadID (wish I had thought of this, as it's gotta be a great business as well as a very useful service). I'm sure you're aware of it, but for not very much money you get a band with whatever you want on it (Emerg Contact, etc.). But it's also got an online service where you can place critical information (blood type, insurance, doctor, or anything else of import) in an online service only accessible by password which is etched on the back of the RoadID band. You can imagine how this could be invaluable information to the first responders should you find yourself in that situation. I think that service costs something like $10/year. Pretty cheap considering how valuable it could be if you need it. This thread reminds me I think I need to update mine.
That is a great idea using the map, especially the incident detection. That really would have been a life saver. I still don't know how on earth I clambered up the bank with these injurys, but being left down there for God knows how long didn't seem to appealing.
I don't know if my 520 has the incident detection on it, if not an up grade will be made.
Will look into the RoadID band to.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Your 520 does have incident detection. Just pair your phone to the 520 utilizing bluetooth, select the people you wish to be notified. They will receive a permission text that they agree to and you are all set. If the Garmin senses a crash, an incident detection screen will appear with a countdown timer to cancel it. If not cancelled, your assigned person/people will receive a nicely done, professional text that gives the location, shows a map, gives gps coordinates, advises how long it will take the assigned person to get there, and provides numbers of local police/fire dispatch. The best thing about it is it sends a signal to your phone to activate an ear piercing locator siren. I was unaware my phone volume could even get that loud. Would have been perfect in your situation. I advise that you test it a few times first, to see what the sensitivity is. I dropped mine on to the carpeted floor and it worked, as well as shaking it violently. Rough roads, potholes, and banging the bars around have not set mine off, but I am confident it will work in a crash. Gives my wife huge peace of mind. If it is a minor crash where you are ok, it gives the option to activate a Garmin generated text that advises you are ok using the down arrow button.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KCookie

by KCookie

Awesome. Many thanks for the reply. I will definitely be activating that service ready for my next ride. When ever that will be.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Oh damn, get well soon man! At least you havent lost your sense of humor.

Like posted earlier, on unknown decents, use the map function of your bike computer. It can realy help not overcooking a turn.

The others have mentioned a auto signal system that garmin provides. Although it is a cool feature, my guess is that it uses your telephone to send out a distress message to the appointed contacts. Well, this isn’t going to work when there is no cell signal.

I’m glad you came out alive.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

jlok

by jlok

Frankie - B wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:50 am
Like posted earlier, on unknown decents, use the map function of your bike computer. It can realy help not overcooking a turn.
2nd that. I used exactly this method to safely navigate from the top of a unknown descent. Just a quick glance every now and then and keep the sense.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

themidge

by themidge

At the risk of sounding a bit insensitive, perhaps you shouldn't be going so fast on unknown descents in the first place..?
Sounds like an awful crash, get well soon and I hope the bike survived as well.

chorus88

by chorus88

You're alive, and you'll ride again.
Get well soon.
When Technology Becomes Emotion
2023 Tarmac SL7 Expert R8100 (90622-3352)

wobbly

by wobbly

OMG, sorry to hear and see this KC. Get well soon. As someone has already pointed out it is Winter in Oz so time to recover and prepare for next season.
We've all made mistakes/taken risks and some we get away with - you just seemed to have copped for one here.
Stay strong and get stuck into the rehab.

KCookie

by KCookie

themidge wrote:At the risk of sounding a bit insensitive, perhaps you shouldn't be going so fast on unknown descents in the first place..?
Sounds like an awful crash, get well soon and I hope the bike survived as well.
You are correct. You not being insensitive at all. Just stating the facts. I know how bloody stupid I was, that's what's getting me down so much. I've never ridden on a road without driving the route first, so why did I this time, I just don't know. I'm an idiot that has certainly learnt my lesson. Albeit a bloody painful and expensive one.
Luckily all my customer's I had booked in are happy to wait until I'm ready to start work again. I'm told them 7 weeks, so fingers crossed.

KCookie

by KCookie

wobbly wrote:OMG, sorry to hear and see this KC. Get well soon. As someone has already pointed out it is Winter in Oz so time to recover and prepare for next season.
We've all made mistakes/taken risks and some we get away with - you just seemed to have copped for one here.
Stay strong and get stuck into the rehab.
Thanks.
Yes I must admit it hasn't been much fun riding in the shitty weather we have been experiencing. So one blessing I suppose.

KCookie

by KCookie

jlok wrote:
Frankie - B wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:50 am
2nd that. I used exactly this method to safely navigate from the top of a unknown descent. Just a quick glance every now and then and keep the sense.
I think I'll be concentrating on trying to go up hill quicker than down hill in the future. Would never like to experience this again.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

KCookie wrote:Image
That thing has so much potential!!

1. Put some decals. My kids say you can 5hp/decal do that should be like 5-7 watts min!!!
2. I hope the front wheels are tubular, but I suspect tubeless without Stan latex in them! Check the bearings to make sure they are ceramic!
3. Wear your helmet at all times when riding it, but I suspect you already know you are getting a new one even if it didn’t crack on your crash!
3. Put an aerobar on it. Take advantage of the conditions you have available, not the ones you are available for!!
4. Did you get a Retül fitting for it?
5. Get a 3D printed Garmin and GoPro holder for it. You need to record it all including your KOM in the hallways and such!
6. While I see you have an aluminium model, I didn’t see a weight or pict of it on a scale. Stop slacking!!
7. If you need help coming up with a good interval session scheme, let me know. Have a few things in mind already!
8. Hope your hospital gown is at least Assos or Rapha because we don’t need little cheap beotches on this site!

Stay up!!

AndreLM

by AndreLM

KCookie wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:51 pm
And most importantly since this is WW: how much does it weight?

Get well soon!

KCookie

by KCookie

Yes I had a retul fit yesterday, feels ok but a few more meters around the ward will let me know if it's set up properly.
Will weigh it when I get home. Lol.
Good point about the helmet, I never even thought about changing it due to no damage.
So I should claim for this as well then.
Obviously will be claiming on all my lovely Assos clothing that's been cut off. There's a crack in my xpresso 15, wheels damaged
My Assos sunnies disappeared into the scrub.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

oldturd

by oldturd

Sorry to hear about your crash, and best wishes for a speedy recovery. I know we've all likely been there having too much fun without being too careful, it happens to the best of us. Great to see your attitude is very positive though.