First crash on my bike, very bad. Update 30.3.19

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

KCookie

by KCookie

Many thanks.
Believe me I've certainly had some low days, but l know i have to stay positive. So far the negatives out weight the positives but I need to put them to the back of my mind. The money I'm going to loose and the bills I'm going to receive are going to have a massive impact on our finances
Hopefully I Can get passed this and come out better the other end.
Just been told all medication by injection will stop tomorrow using tablets only.
Nervous times a head. Still no idea when when I can go home though, but I'm in the best place I suppose.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

exctasy

by exctasy

KCookie wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:56 am
Obviously will be claiming on all my lovely Assos clothing that's been cut off. There's a crack in my xpresso 15, wheels damaged
My Assos sunnies disappeared into the scrub.

the gipfelsturm damaged? my rear meilenstein was damaged too, managed to send it back to LW germany and got it fixed. Weirdly, the tubulars on my wheels didnt puncture!
my attaquer kit was torn, my 100% sunnies broke!

Orbital

by Orbital

Sounds like a nightmare and I hope u heal quickly and completely. I have yet to have a bad wreck on the bike in 10 years of riding. But I’ve had my share of broken bones from hockey and 17 years of skateboarding in my youth. Most have healed 100%, some haven’t but are luckily 80-90% good and don’t impact my life. What happened to u is my wife’s worst nightmare and the cause of panic texts and calls if I’m out longer than a few hours without checking in!!

glepore

by glepore

Don't be too hard on yourself, many of us have taken dumb risks up to the point where we had a hard contact with the ground at speed. Its when you don't learn from that incident that you should beat on yourself.

Hope the Gips are good. Heal well, what you do for a living is hard enough.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

KCookie

by KCookie

Thanks guys, all your positive comments, certainly does pick me up.
I've just seen the Trauma nurse and she gave me this pic of my x-ray. Her words, if I hadn't been found when I did with the severity of the injurys another couple of hours and it would have been fatal.
As you can see my heart was on the right, and my left lung completely collapsed. Let alone the pain I was in with all ribs broken.
This morning has really made me realise how lucky I am.
Safe ridding everyone.

glepore

by glepore

The good news is that your kids don't love you any less.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Really sorry to hear about this. I hope you heal well.

I also want to thank you for giving me a wake up call. I am heading to the Alps tomorrow for a few weeks of insanity and I think it's time to abondon my aggressive descending. Grew up on a ski hill and it's in my DNA to rip the descents. Never go to the same place twice so as with all my European mountain adventures, every route is new terrain for me so every descent will be "blind". All the more reason to back off the throttle.

Thanks again and stay positive.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

KCookie

by KCookie

Mr.Gib wrote:Really sorry to hear about this. I hope you heal well.

I also want to thank you for giving me a wake up call. I am heading to the Alps tomorrow for a few weeks of insanity and I think it's time to abondon my aggressive descending. Grew up on a ski hill and it's in my DNA to rip the descents. Never go to the same place twice so as with all my European mountain adventures, every route is new terrain for me so every descent will be "blind". All the more reason to back off the throttle.

Thanks again and stay positive.
Many thanks.
Please be careful, I would hate for anyone else to end up with these injurys or worse. Believe me it ain't much fun.
I'm still jealous though, you'll have an amazing time. Be safe.

stax

by stax

Very sorry for you- really tough break. What’s next medically?

I broke 3 ribs on a gravelly roundabout slide out a few years back and the pain was bad. I cannot imagine what you have been going through for the past while- even with the IV pain relief. How has it been without?

A tip for when you get home- sleep in a reclining chair if you have one. Going from flat to upright with broken ribs is tricky and painful for the first few weeks and if you have an adjustable hospital bed, it may not be that apparent.

Anyways, you are still here with a family looking out for you and also needing you. You’ll be a bit better in a month, a lot better in 3 and in 12, which is not that long- and you really notice that as a dad- you’ll be as quick uphill as ever. Well, if you ever catch up with your workload and get back on the bike that is!

All the best and PM me if you’re ever heading to Melbourne with your bike- lots of good riding over here!

KCookie

by KCookie

stax wrote:Very sorry for you- really tough break. What’s next medically?

I broke 3 ribs on a gravelly roundabout slide out a few years back and the pain was bad. I cannot imagine what you have been going through for the past while- even with the IV pain relief. How has it been without?

A tip for when you get home- sleep in a reclining chair if you have one. Going from flat to upright with broken ribs is tricky and painful for the first few weeks and if you have an adjustable hospital bed, it may not be that apparent.

Anyways, you are still here with a family looking out for you and also needing you. You’ll be a bit better in a month, a lot better in 3 and in 12, which is not that long- and you really notice that as a dad- you’ll be as quick uphill as ever. Well, if you ever catch up with your workload and get back on the bike that is!

All the best and PM me if you’re ever heading to Melbourne with your bike- lots of good riding over here!
Many thanks for the kid words.
Tonight will be my first only on tablets, approx 30 in 24hrs. So I'm not looking forward to that.
Had another x-ray today to see how my lung is improving. So far just the bottom is collapsed. Will not discharge me until fully inflated and the pain relief is correct.
I actually did say to the wife about sleeping on the lounge recliner as laying flat will hurt, and it's right Pita to get up.
I only work 4 days a week but five will be imminent to claw back 2 months of lost wages.
Can't wait to get back on the bike, but my main aim will be climbing quicker, there's some great hills around me. Sod going 90+ kmh down hills again.
I think I'll use the Kickr and swift for a while first to build up my strength. Just walking a few hundred metres to completely tired me out. Most weeks I ride 250-300km now I can't hardly walk. Talk about depressing.
I'll sure PM you if I head your way.
Cheers

LocoDuck

by LocoDuck

Very unfortunate, we've all been there (i think) although not as severe. Had my fair share of offs and if i'm riding a descent blind I tend to have my garmin zoomed out on the gps page so that I can see any nasty bends coming up. Good luck with the recovery and take it easy for a while (easier said than done).

Keep us all posted on the recovery and keep your chin up! You're still breathing after all. :beerchug:

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Just saw this now...

Quite the survival story. I’m relieved you’re OK and am keen to read about your road to recovery.

Not sure I’d see a stick moving on the side of a road if I were driving by ... you’re very fortunate someone was paying good enough attention!

:arrow: Be safe out there everyone.
Last edited by Johnny Rad on Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

KCookie

by KCookie

Yes I was very lucky, especially when the Trauma nurse said I would have died of a heart attack within hours.
I'm just waiting on some more stitches under my armpit from where the tube came out, then I can be discharged. I can't believe how little pain I'm in now compared to a week ago. Obviously healing really well, plus the Tramadol and Oxycodone is doing wonders. On wards and up wards now. Looking forward to getting on the trainer in a few weeks and the confidence to hit the road.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Good for you man! As I mentioned in my first post, be mindful of where you stand with those pain meds. As I look back on my situation, the first thing I think about was how miserable it was trying to kick those meds. It took a month before they decided to do surgery so I was in pretty bad pain the entire time leading up to it, and took a lot of Vicodin. Then I was on them for a month or so after surgery. As soon as you are able, try to start tapering down on them.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

agree with wheelbuilder ...get off those meds as fast as you can. It took me a couple days to kick the meds but it was rough. I didn't taper, I just stopped taking them.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com