First crash on my bike, very bad. Update 30.3.19

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

KCookie

by KCookie

Had my first night at home last night and it didn't go well. Trying to mimic a proper hospital bed with loads of pillows really is uncomfortable. Didn't set my alarm for the four hourly meds so I could see how long I could sleep for, woke at 4am in quite a bit a pain, 2 hours after the Tramadol should have been taken. Maybe all the walking around the house yesterday was a little to much. Might have over done it. I have googled these meds and I do know how serious they are, realising people have died from over use, but at this moment they are needed. The Oxycodone I'm only taking before bed 4x 5mg. During the day I will use Panadol.

Orbital

by Orbital

If I’ve learned anything about pain management it’s to not get off the regiment of administering pain killers. All it does is makes you suffer and makes you cranky. However, I’ve never taken anything more than Tylenol or Advil for any of my breaks and surgeries so I don’t have the experience to talk about what you’re going through with proper opiates. My wife has lived with RA since she was 19 though and she had to ween herself of some pretty toxic stuff when we decided to start our family. The worst thing she did was go cold turkey. She turned into a complete stranger.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KCookie

by KCookie

Had an awful day yesterday feeling terrible pain in my back and shoulder, so much so I struggled to walk. Today I feel better. So far I've managed to stretch the meds out another 2 hours. Went to the docs today for some anti inflammatorys which has really made a difference.
To any of you guys that have had broken ribs, when did you get back to riding, I'm talking on the trainer, I know I've got a long way to go until I'm out on the road. The boredom of doing nothing is torturous, just want something to look forward to.
Cheers

basilic

by basilic

Hey KC, hang in there!

Even though it's none of my business, I feel like giving a warning about the idea of checking your garmin screen while descending, for the beginners who read this site. It's fine to preview the road before the descent, but on a small twisty alpine road, keep your eyes on the road, all the time. Looking 1 second away is way too much. Especially when approaching a blind corner and thinking uh-oh. As someone wrote above, don't go faster than you can see.
(This from someone who's had his share of craashes and many more near misses).

stax

by stax

KCookie wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:48 am
To any of you guys that have had broken ribs, when did you get back to riding, I'm talking on the trainer, I know I've got a long way to go until I'm out on the road. The boredom of doing nothing is torturous, just want something to look forward to.
Cheers
I can’t quite remember how long I waited, but it wasn’t very long. Like you, I was keen to get the rehab started, so it would have been 2 or 3 weeks before having a gentle spin on the trainer. I didn’t have a punctured lung though, so I’d check with your doc beforehand.

Hope the recovery is coming along.

euan

by euan

I left it until I could breathe without pain

guyc

by guyc

Whatsoever you do, don’t rush it. The pain is there for a reason.

My worst crash was two wheeled but of the engine variety at 70mph when a driver on his phone punted me off my Fireblade.

Dislocated shoulder (posterior, so nasty), snapped shoulder blade, broken elbow, kneecap, ribs and finger. I was out of the game entirely for 6 months and another 3 before I could even look at a bike. Allowing the recovery full time to heal meant that I don’t suffer many ill effects 13 years later aside from some loss of rearward movement in my left arm.

Rest. Properly.

KCookie

by KCookie

Thanks guys
With the pain I'm in atm I still have a long way to go. My left arm still hasn't full movement and feels very week. I would like to get on the trainer in around 3 weeks.
Yesterday my wife drove me to where I crashed to see if I could get some answers.
She pointed out to me the warning sign for the upcoming corner with 25kmh above it, the one i really wished I'd seen. Obviously she gave me a telling off. Don't blame her either.
I'm counting this accident as a blessing in disguise as I always thought it will never happen to me, now I will be coursous and sensible whilst descending. I think it was only a matter of time until something bad happened.
As you can see from the pic attached, there's no way I was getting round that corner at high speed. Image

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

guyc

by guyc

FWIW I found the mental side trickier than the physical and kept re-running it over in my head. You have to try and accept that it happened, on another day you got round or slowed, and that you're alive and ok. As you said you'll likely come back a different rider.

sychen

by sychen

Tight,blind off camber corner.. high speed.. looks quite dirty.. bad combo indeed.
How did the weekend treat you?

One thing i found was little victories was my milestones in recovery that was very important.
For me.. was stuff like making it to the front gate and back/ making it to the block corner/ making it to the cafe for coffee 3 blocks away..etc.

Diffrent for you obviously as you can walk but take it slow.. there will be shit moments and setbacks that while minor.. will feel much larger mentally.
Keep up the little wins and you'll be back before you know it.

exctasy

by exctasy

sychen wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:49 am
Tight,blind off camber corner.. high speed.. looks quite dirty.. bad combo indeed.
How did the weekend treat you?

One thing i found was little victories was my milestones in recovery that was very important.
For me.. was stuff like making it to the front gate and back/ making it to the block corner/ making it to the cafe for coffee 3 blocks away..etc.

Diffrent for you obviously as you can walk but take it slow.. there will be shit moments and setbacks that while minor.. will feel much larger mentally.
Keep up the little wins and you'll be back before you know it.
Yes, the little wins will build your confidence mentally.
Same for me
Showering on my own
putting on clothes
putting on my bibs
hoping on the kickr for a slow short spin, without pain
:thumbup: :thumbup:

KCookie

by KCookie

Yes I definitely agree with you guys, setting goals is now what I'm doing. Walked 1.1km yesterday and 1.9km today, albeit in some pain. Hoping for 2+km tomorrow. Would love to get on the trainer by the end of the month, just depends on the pain and how well I heal.
Only taking one Tramadol in the evening and paracetamol during the day.
I've given up taking the Endone before bed as I can't stand the tripping out and weird feelings off them, unfortunately that's leaving me in considerable pain throughout the night with very little sleep, but I don't won't to be dependent on them.
Pacing the house all day is driving me mad and watching the cycling just makes me jealous. Lol. Can't wait to get back to normal.

maverick_1

by maverick_1

@KCookie,
Damn...so sorry to hear about the mishap.
Get well soon buddy!!
Stay positive!!

fitty4

by fitty4

Yes, small goals all the time and maybe combined with bigger goals.
I hit a tree with 60 kmph, clavicula, 1 rib, torn muscle in the thigh and 6+ fractures in pelvis, I had no surgey.
I was in the hospital for 8 days, it took me 7 weeks before I could lie in my own bed. 3 and half months after the accident I climbed Teide at Tenerife, I had to use 3 attempts. My wife had to do an intern there and so we went there 3 months after my accident. When I had the strenght I put my bike where I could see it, from my hospital bed in our livingroom, just to motivate me to climb Teide which was my biggest goal. My second biggest goal was to walk without crutches to welcome my wife at the bus station as she left to her home country 3 weeks after my accident and she came back 4 weeks later. I should never have walked those 1½ km with out crutches, I walked sideways and used the walls of buildings to be my cruthces, know your limits. My first rides were on a trainer and my first ride on the road I could do one 300 some watt sprint. I'm sure you will have a speedy recovery at the begining but I think you'll also have a few body issues that will take longer time to heal. As other say don't rush things. See a good fysiotherapist, osteopath or something that help you with with recovery, the sooner the better, that way you will also get out of the house which can make one a bit nuts. And yes you were danm lucky.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stax

by stax

KCookie wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:47 am
Yes I definitely agree with you guys, setting goals is now what I'm doing. Walked 1.1km yesterday and 1.9km today, albeit in some pain. Hoping for 2+km tomorrow. Would love to get on the trainer by the end of the month, just depends on the pain and how well I heal.
Only taking one Tramadol in the evening and paracetamol during the day.
I've given up taking the Endone before bed as I can't stand the tripping out and weird feelings off them, unfortunately that's leaving me in considerable pain throughout the night with very little sleep, but I don't won't to be dependent on them.
Pacing the house all day is driving me mad and watching the cycling just makes me jealous. Lol. Can't wait to get back to normal.

There are some decent alternatives to endone that your doc should be able to prescribe. I couldn’t stand the spaced out feeling from endone so got tapentadol instead. Much nicer to my head. With regard to sleeping, it may be worth trying an antihistamine. Zyrtec is the one I use when I need a good nights sleep.

Any word on the bike? Apologies if I missed the update on it.