First crash on my bike, very bad. Update 30.3.19

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

KCookie

by KCookie

Hi Guys.
After seeing some post on here from some crashes you guys have had, I always thought that will never happen to me, well unfortunately it did.
I've ended up with 6 broken ribs and a collapsed lung. Another MRI the following day picked up a fracture in my sternum. To say I'm in pain is an understatement, even though I'm being pumped with drugs constantly.
Normally before I ride new roads I'll go out in my car look for pot holes etc, hard shoulder to ride on and especially the corners.
Well Saturday morning this didn't happen, riding a new road down hill 75kmh thinking how much fun I was having, then o shit there's a 90 degree turn to the left. I went straight on into the scrub over the bars and came down on a boulder. Now 3-4m down a bank I started shouting for help, but no-one could see or here me. Panic set in as there was no phone service either.
I some how managed to get high enough to wave a branch and call for help. Luckily some one stopped about 20mins after I crashed. 30 minutes later the ambulance arrived taking me to hospital. Where I'm going to be for another 4+ days.
My stupidity that day has ended up with me loosing 2 months work,( I have my own paving business ) with no Ambulance cover or income protection to help, another stupid mistake.
I've definitely learnt my lesson.
Stay safe all.
Cheers
ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Last edited by KCookie on Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

Get well soon!!! Hows the bike? :wink:
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

KCookie

by KCookie

Thanks kgibbo.
Mate said damaged. Didn't want to say to much to keep me smiling. .
Luckily I have great insurance for the bike.

bouds

by bouds

Man I'm glad you're alive. We all do dumb shit at times, some of us are lucky enough to get second chances. Heal up, rehab, and get back on the saddle. Just take it easy going forward, its fun going fast but better to be cautious on unknown roads, its hard enough avoiding traffic sometimes.

Be well dude, good luck, and glad you're amongst the living!

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

You will get through this. I crashed in December of last year, similar but different circumstances and injuries, but I was off the bike for four months and had to endure a painful surgery that still gives me problems. Three broken ribs, broken humorous, concussion, and collarbone that required fixation surgery.....5 inch plate with seven screws. I was very depressed at the prospect of no riding for so long. You are probably going to go through a "thrill of the crash" stage that will last a couple days, but then the reality of a long rehab and no riding will set in. Mind your depression levels, and don't keep asking for more pain meds towards the end of the recovery period. Kicking the Vicodin was tough for me, and it made me feel crazy after a month or so. Get on a trainer in your house as soon as you can hold yourself up and spin. It sucks, but it helps. Treat yourself to some bling or a new frame or something you really want. It helps. Things are going to seem desperately shitty for a while, but you WILL come back stronger. I am stronger now than I was at the crash, and have an even deeper obsession with riding and fitness. Good luck man. You will heal.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Geez, sorry to read about your "incident". Never had a "serious" off such as yours. Got very close coming down Mt Buller but fortunately didn't go over the side just slide in the gravel. Slowed me down some what.............. for a while anyway. Good luck with your recovery and hang in there.

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

Mate...some fairly significant injuries but from your description it sounds like it could have been heaps worse.
Very impressive ink...and chest drain...
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

Marin

by Marin

KCookie wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:32 pm
before I ride new roads I'll go out in my car look for pot holes etc, hard shoulder to ride on and especially the corners.
Well Saturday morning this didn't happen, riding a new road down hill 75kmh thinking how much fun I was having, then o shit there's a 90 degree turn to the left.
Sorry for having to say this, but you have to adapt your protocol. Riding faster than you can see is a recipe for disaster.

I don't know how often per day I witness drivers or riders going around blind corners or overtaking, expecting the road to be clear because last time it was too. Sometimes they are wrong, and it might even be me coming the other way :(

Still, wishing you a speedy recovery, and get better insurance for yourself!

dastott

by dastott

Damn! I was a fairly decent descender (ok, average) until I got hit by a car last year (not on a descent actually). Now I am pretty slow and careful. No shame in that. Never comfortable hitting 75 km/h on a descent. Have too much to lose...

KCookie

by KCookie

Thank you all for all the kind words. Much appreciated.
I've been down to surgery again and they are now saying all ribs on the left side are broken.
Really struggling to find the right pain relief meds that doesn't make me feel so spaced out and like I'm tripping. Reality has definitely set in since I've started calling my customer's and letting them decide if they want to wait even longer for me to proceed with the work.
Saw the physio today and it's going to be a slow journey. Lung still hasn't fully drained, but I'm hoping the tube can be removed tomorrow.

KCookie

by KCookie

Squashednuts wrote:Mate...some fairly significant injuries but from your description it sounds like it could have been heaps worse.
Very impressive ink...and chest drain...
Just a little bit more ink for you mate.Image

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Every time I see a mate pushing ahead on a descent I say "self-employed father of two". And then I slow down!
Had a buddy hit head on by a bike in May and, as hes a North Sea Oil-Rig Diver, he hasnt been able to work since even though his injuries wernt severe
Glad its not as bad as it could have been, get well soon.

jlok

by jlok

Sorry to hear that and thanks for sharing your story. Definitely will learn from your mistake. Get well soon!
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

jorryt

by jorryt

Get well soon!
But your tattoos rock!

KCookie

by KCookie

Leviathan wrote:Every time I see a mate pushing ahead on a descent I say "self-employed father of two". And then I slow down!
Had a buddy hit head on by a bike in May and, as hes a North Sea Oil-Rig Diver, he hasnt been able to work since even though his injuries wernt severe
Glad its not as bad as it could have been, get well soon.
I have two young daughters to, it's now made me realise how important they are to a KOM.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com