First crash on my bike, very bad. Update 30.3.19

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Leviathan wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:36 am
Every time I see a mate pushing ahead on a descent I say "self-employed singlefather of two". And then I slow down!
Had a buddy hit head on by a bike in May and, as hes a North Sea Oil-Rig Diver, he hasnt been able to work since even though his injuries wernt severe
Glad its not as bad as it could have been, get well soon.
A motorcycle accident 3 years ago did the same to me. But I will admit speed is my weekness, and I do forget it sometimes. Not for long though.

I do feel for you. Given what I do for a living and having had a couple of cracked ribs due to a cycling pile up, I know what you must be feeling and what you'll go through in the next few months. Very painful and little to do about it other than wait it out!!

Best of luck in your recovery. It can always be worse!! :beerchug: :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Positive thoughts and hope you get better quickly!
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

KCookie

by KCookie

Thanks guys.
Felt really good yesterday, managed to stand for a very short time with the aid of a Zimmer frame. Needed to change my bloody sheets.
Had a really bad night as my pain relief machine packed in and have only just changed it 6hrs later.
You guys are right with the emotions, id admit they are playing havoc this morning, I don't mind admitting a short cry. Gone from feeling great to shit over night is a big slap in the face.
Once the surgeon looks at me I'm hoping the tube and bag from my kidney will be removed today. So much discomfort from this.
Cheers for the positive words guys, I certainly need them.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Whilst I've had a minor stack on the bike (lost front wheel on a hairpin and did a grade 2 tear on the AC joint) and that has slowed me down more now, a major motorbike accident in 1985 had me off work for 6 months and in bed for 3 (compound femur farcture, permanent injuries to L 4th & 5th metacarpals, and ruptured R ankle tendon), I know how you feel at the moment all too well.

Only thing I can say is, it does get better. Been there & done that.

I truly enjoy riding now, and whilst descending fast was/is brilliant, just a bit slower is still pretty good.

Heal quick & well !!

Seedster

by Seedster

Speedy recovery! Stay positive.

Hope you can get back to work soon and the bike is in good condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robertbb

by robertbb

Stay positive KCookie. I'm recovering from surgery (not accident related) myself and it's hard being off the bike. Thankfully it's Winter here in Oz though so the FOMO is lessened a bit. As with everyone else, I wish you a speedy recovery.

Can I suggest a few books you might like to read? More so than movies, they'll take your mind to another place and that's handy when you're likely to be stuck in your own mind for a while. I found these books life-changing, and you may too... this might be the perfect time to take a fresh look at things and these will certainly help with that. It will inspire you way more than social media.

1) Way of the peaceful warrior - Dan Millman
2) Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts
3) The little Prince - Antoine de Saint Exupery

Good luck!

Stitchking

by Stitchking

Sick bike.
Sicker ink.
Hope you feel better soon man. Being bedridden sucks, especially for us active types

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

KCookie

by KCookie

Awesome posts guys, truly inspiring.
Well the tube has finally been removed from my lung which was a great relief. Another x-ray has shown there's still considerable damage so tonight will tell if another tube will be inserted in the morning.
Another MRI due on my shoulder tomorrow as I'm struggling with movement.
On tablets now and not being injected as much is another plus, and best of all I walked 25m with a Zimmer.
Should have turned on Strava.

zulu695

by zulu695

I wish you a speedy recovery! And like everyone said stay positive! Take the time to heal correctly!

mrfish

by mrfish

Wish you a speedy recovery. Keep going and you will get through.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

You have to find humor in everything sometimes. I’d suggest you do all kinds of KOM on Strava just walking the hallways!! Doubt anyone will top those ever LOL.....

I assume a Zimmer is what we call in the US “a walker”?

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Get well!

I usually use my map portion of my Garmin when I'm on an unknown road. It has certainly helped me make some wise decisions on when to slow down.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Butcher brings up a good point. I just got a new Garmin 1030 and it's got brilliant map features for sure but one of the things that could prove very useful is a warning for upcoming sharp bends or turns ahead. Could be extremely useful for descending mountains where the turn ahead is unknown to you. It also has "incident detection" so if you were out riding alone and suddenly found yourself unconscious on the other side of a guard rail not readily visible to passing traffic etc., the Garmin automatically notifies someone (You set this up prior of course) which I think is really good. I can think of at least a couple of times where I could have benefitted from this. The other thing that's useful for riding alone (or even in a group where people might not know you very well), is a RoadID (wish I had thought of this, as it's gotta be a great business as well as a very useful service). I'm sure you're aware of it, but for not very much money you get a band with whatever you want on it (Emerg Contact, etc.). But it's also got an online service where you can place critical information (blood type, insurance, doctor, or anything else of import) in an online service only accessible by password which is etched on the back of the RoadID band. You can imagine how this could be invaluable information to the first responders should you find yourself in that situation. I think that service costs something like $10/year. Pretty cheap considering how valuable it could be if you need it. This thread reminds me I think I need to update mine.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

KCookie

by KCookie

dgasmd wrote:You have to find humor in everything sometimes. I’d suggest you do all kinds of KOM on Strava just walking the hallways!! Doubt anyone will top those ever LOL.....

I assume a Zimmer is what we call in the US “a walker”?
If i didnt try and laugh id cry.
Got to keep the Km up one way or another.
Yes us poms call it a Zimmer, rest of the world walker. We are a strange species. ImageImage

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Tubs or clinchers??? and where is the CF...... come on do you forget to where you are posting??? :smartass: :mrgreen:

Seriously, keep smiling as it can always be worse.........

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon