First crash on my bike, very bad. Update 30.3.19

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

KCookie

by KCookie

Ok mate thanks, I'll look into the alternatives. Yeah so far the bike is good, can't believe I was the one that got smashed up, wish it was the other way around. Certainly would have been quicker and easier to fix the bike than poor old me. Lol.😀

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KCookie

by KCookie

maverick_1 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:30 pm
@KCookie,
Damn...so sorry to hear about the mishap.
Get well soon buddy!!
Stay positive!!
Thanks mate, appreciated.

KCookie

by KCookie

fitty4 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:58 pm
Yes, small goals all the time and maybe combined with bigger goals.
I hit a tree with 60 kmph, clavicula, 1 rib, torn muscle in the thigh and 6+ fractures in pelvis, I had no surgey.
I was in the hospital for 8 days, it took me 7 weeks before I could lie in my own bed. 3 and half months after the accident I climbed Teide at Tenerife, I had to use 3 attempts. My wife had to do an intern there and so we went there 3 months after my accident. When I had the strenght I put my bike where I could see it, from my hospital bed in our livingroom, just to motivate me to climb Teide which was my biggest goal. My second biggest goal was to walk without crutches to welcome my wife at the bus station as she left to her home country 3 weeks after my accident and she came back 4 weeks later. I should never have walked those 1½ km with out crutches, I walked sideways and used the walls of buildings to be my cruthces, know your limits. My first rides were on a trainer and my first ride on the road I could do one 300 some watt sprint. I'm sure you will have a speedy recovery at the begining but I think you'll also have a few body issues that will take longer time to heal. As other say don't rush things. See a good fysiotherapist, osteopath or something that help you with with recovery, the sooner the better, that way you will also get out of the house which can make one a bit nuts. And yes you were danm lucky.
Wow, that certainly sounds like a nasty accident you had, 6+ fractures in your pelvis would have been bloody painful. Glad your ok now. Yes hitting trees at high speed is not good for the human body, unfortunately the tree always wins. I think us cyclists always seem to push ourselves to the limit, I don't know if that's good or bad, but all I want is to get back to work, on the bike and not to feel so bloody useless. I've got a hospital appointment next Thursday for a scan so hopefully I can see how well I'm improving, I'll also ask about some exercises to help with the recovery.
Yes I agree being stuck in the house is not good for the mind, and yes I am lucky, It could have been so much worse, believe me I keep playing the accident over and over in my head with no answers still, it's just a blank.
Will walk 2km this morning then I'm going to walk and pick my kids up from school, that will be another 1.5km, at least I get to use Strava, lol 😀.

kbbpll

by kbbpll

I've been following this and I wish you a full recovery. Absolutely check with your doctor on pain med alternatives - everyone's chemistry is different. Tylenol and Vicodin do absolutely nothing for me, as an example, but Advil works like a charm. Don't overdo it - ribs take a long time to heal, and rushing it won't help. Chase your daughters' KOMs for the next 6-12 months. Accept that your "riding style" might change, for the better. I haven't ridden with my hands off the bars for 35+ years, because - you know why.

KCookie

by KCookie

kbbpll wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:45 am
I've been following this and I wish you a full recovery. Absolutely check with your doctor on pain med alternatives - everyone's chemistry is different. Tylenol and Vicodin do absolutely nothing for me, as an example, but Advil works like a charm. Don't overdo it - ribs take a long time to heal, and rushing it won't help. Chase your daughters' KOMs for the next 6-12 months. Accept that your "riding style" might change, for the better. I haven't ridden with my hands off the bars for 35+ years, because - you know why.
Many thanks, appreciated.
Let's hope they don't take to long to heal, I have my first job booked in to start in 4 weeks. I didn't take any meds yesterday just to see how much they work, bad mistake that was. I can honestly say the meds do work as the pain doubled. Terrible nights sleep to, I'm so over this, doing my head in being constantly in pain. I don't know if walking 4.5km yesterday contributed to the pain getting worse. I'll take it easy today.
I know the longer I'm off the bike the harder it's going to be to get back on, just makes me more nervous every time I think about the accident.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

So long as you are having pain, you do need meds. They help you cope with your daily activity. It’s ok to reduce dosage only as needed, but you do have injuries = pain causes!!! They take time to heal. It’s that simple.

This is a good time to start spending time doing things you normally wouldn’t do or as much. Enjoy those other things while you have the time!!

Have you posted pictures of he bike damage yet? Maybe I missed those

beanbiken

by beanbiken

KC, at least you are still here to tell us about your recovery rather than being just another statisic......... stay +

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

KCookie

by KCookie

dgasmd wrote:So long as you are having pain, you do need meds. They help you cope with your daily activity. It’s ok to reduce dosage only as needed, but you do have injuries = pain causes!!! They take time to heal. It’s that simple.

This is a good time to start spending time doing things you normally wouldn’t do or as much. Enjoy those other things while you have the time!!

Have you posted pictures of he bike damage yet? Maybe I missed those
Luckily no damage to the bike, just need a new helmet and replace the cloths that were cut off by the paramedics.
The best meds seem to be the 400mg anti-inflammatorys.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

KCookie

by KCookie

beanbiken wrote:KC, at least you are still here to tell us about your recovery rather than being just another statisic......... stay +

BB
Yes that I'm thankful for. Nothing but praise for the paramedics and trauma team. They couldn't believe I didn't break my spine or neck. Could be writing this from a wheelchair. Someone was looking over me that day. Image

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Maybe the best medicine is to buy more bike gear! Keep shopping so you can get back on a hot new bike.

That’s a beautiful Berk seatpost in the “what did you buy today” thread...

KCookie

by KCookie

Yes buying new gear normal makes me happy, but with the lose of two months wages I now have to be careful.
The post was a warranty swap, also got these. 1k saddle was a warranty swap to but unfortunately the wrong one was sent, so still waiting on the correct one. Also got another Lupina padded on the way but with the German flag on to match my Urgestalt. ImageImage

Bogan

by Bogan

Glad to see you on the road to recovery. You are sounding more positive as you go along. A positive mindset always helps!

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

KCookie

by KCookie

Bogan wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:14 am
Glad to see you on the road to recovery. You are sounding more positive as you go along. A positive mindset always helps!

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk
[/quote
I am slowly thanks, it's been 3 weeks now since the accident so I'm still in quite a bit of pain. Walked 12km last week by doing the school run, it's great to get out the house but every step does hurt. To be honest I'm absolutely sick and tired of the pain and boredom. Sleeping is the worse time as I'm still sleeping upright, always waking up in pain.
Got a hospital appointment on Thursday for another x-ray so it will be good to see how the ribs and lung are healing. Another four weeks until I need to get back to work so this pain needs to start subsiding. I am trying to stay positive but having all day to yourself with nothing to do but think about how stupid I was plays havoc with your mind.
I need to buy more bike stuff that will make me happy. Lol :) :D

KCookie

by KCookie

Hey guys,
Just a quick update, last Thursday I had a CT scan and only got the results today, unfortunately I still haven't healed fully but I'm on the mend. The only rib I didn't break was number 12. I haven't taken any medication for eight days now, the pain is still there but manageable without relief. Im still uncomfortable in bed, waking a lot during the night so I'm still without a good full nights sleep.
Im going to book in for an x-ray mid next week as I'm hoping the extra 1.5 weeks is going to show I'm healed as I really do need to get back to work, now seven weeks without pay has put a stop to buying more bike parts, gutted. 😒.
It's times like these where I wish I didn't have such a demanding job on the body as I could have returned weeks ago. With Christmas on its way and my parents coming over for six weeks from the UK, that's going to be another big strain on the bank account. Still very annoyed with myself.😡
I have managed two short rides though on the Kickr, 21km and 18km and Jesus was that hard work. Couldn't breath properly, high heart rate and so bloody uncomfortable. Most of the ride was bolt upright, as soon as I put my hands on the bars the pain just got worse in the rib cage, but it felt good to get the legs spinning even though I kept getting passed by women. So embarrassing. Lol. Just hope I'm back on the the road by the TDU.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Stay positive, just a matter of time before you're back!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk