Estes Park Colorado

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

I am traveling to Estes Park Colorado next weekend and looking to do some riding. I have a;lready scouted out some MTB trails within a short ride of wear I am staying, now I just need help finding a shop to rent bikes from while I am in town. Closer to town/Lake Estes is best as that is where I am staying.

So who's got suggestions?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

While a local may chime in, as someone who visits Estes 2-3 times each year, my sugestion would be to find a shop in Boulder or Lyons as there are no 'LBS' in Estes, and the places that rent are aimed more at recreational riders, not someone who frequents the WW forums.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

LeDuke

by LeDuke

What trails are you planning on riding?

I get up there fairly frequently, and I’ve hiked the new trails at Hermit Park with my wife and dog, but there just isn’t a whole lot of mileage up there.

There are some super old wagon roads and trails coming out of Hermit Park. I think the Estes Epic uses them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

I was looking in the hermit area. Limber pine, homestead and road 120? I've just been using MTBproject to find some trails that I can ride too from the hotel.
Was looking at getting bikes from Estes Park Mountain Shop, they seem to have some adequate Giant bikes as rentals.

Im also considering doing a road/dirt road/gravel type ride in that area if that provides better options. Any insight in welcome

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Will you have a car?

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

yes, but doubt it will have a hitch or the abillity to carry 2 bikes...

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Understood.

You could ride down to Glen Haven and try to ride some of the trails north of there. Gets relatively remote real fast.

The Sourdough and St. Vrain networks south of Allenspark are great.

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

thanks for the input. i will have a look at that area too

ms6073

by ms6073

wpccrunner wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:27 am
Was looking at getting bikes from Estes Park Mountain Shop, they seem to have some adequate Giant bikes as rentals.
That is going to be your best option for bike rental in Estes. We often stay at the resort just up the street, and usually rent spikes or snow shoes from that store. From what I have seen, the rental bikes are okay and if there other equipment is an indication, reasonably well maintained.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

wpccrunner wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:34 am
thanks for the input. i will have a look at that area too
Small world. I just returned from Estes myself. It’s a beautiful place though I don’t visit as often as ms6073. As a roadie, I really enjoy taking Hwy 34 down to Loveland and back plus a modified version through Glen Haven. (As an aside, I’m pretty sure the two switch backs above Glen Haven on Hwy 43 are featured in a SRAM ad from a few years back.) Anyhow, the 34 has a couple of one-lane sections still due to road construction during the week, but not during the weekend.

I’ll second the Mountain Shop on the east side of town off the Hwy 34 as the best place to talk turkey with local riders. It’s definitely not a LBS as noted previously, but they’re knowledgeable enough. Just let them know that you’re not a yahoo looking for a 3mi easy spin!

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

thanks for all the tips. it was quite a trip out there. Did not get to ride in Estes but rented some gravel bikes in boulder and went south towards marshall lake/greenbelt plateau. Damn was it a lot nicer than living in North Carolina, really has me considering a move out west, like a lot of other people.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com