“Correct” sock length

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Wookski

by Wookski

I’m noticing more and more riders wearing socks that rise beyond mid calf- this is not a new trend but recently it has become more mainstream. Instagram accounts such as sockdoping also promote this aesthetic.

I personally think there should be at least an inch between the top of the sock and the beginning of the calf muscle.

Here’s a pic of me this morning and apologies for the lack of leg definition, I just can’t seem to grow guns :cry:
Anyway, keen to hear your thoughts on “what is “correct” when it comes to socks.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I have zero calf muscle, but most of my socks are around 6-7 inches (15-18cm)

Please excuse my mangled unshaven leg and clown foot.
Attachments
0494B603-3EA8-4813-8889-B1F9C0F9ED06.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Between flush to 1" under the bottom of the calf. 6-7" socks work for me.

Ridge Supply are a tad short Image
Swiftwick 7"
S-Works "Tall"
Sako 7 work well

Using Tapatalk

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Socks are shoe liners. Why should they extend above the shoe? You guys must have epicly dorky tan lines.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Rule #7//

Tan lines should be cultivated and kept razor sharp.

Under no circumstances should one be rolling up their sleeves or shorts in an effort to somehow diminish one’s tan lines. Sleeveless jerseys are under no circumstances to be employed

Rule #27//

Shorts and socks should be like Goldilocks.

Not too long and not too short. (Disclaimer: despite Sean Yates’ horrible choice in shorts length, he is a quintessential hard man of cycling and is deeply admired by the Velominati. Whereas Armstrong’s short and sock lengths are just plain wrong.) No socks is a no-no, as are those ankle-length ones that should only be worn by female tennis players.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Wookski

by Wookski

Lelandjt wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:06 am
Socks are shoe liners. Why should they extend above the shoe? You guys must have epicly dorky tan lines.
Are you a bib pisser or a female tennis player?

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

meh.......I've been rocking the 2.5 inch Fignon/Eddy length since 1982. Love it. Feel like Mike Tyson.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Wookski wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:18 am
Lelandjt wrote:
Are you a bib pisser or a female tennis player?
Neither, I'm from new England. Since moving "out west" I've never gotten an explaination for why people this side of the Mississippi like long socks. The only defense they have is that ankleless socks or no socks at all look ghey. I spend the other half of my year "way out west" in Hawaii where tan lines get you laughed at and sock styles mimic New England.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

If it's good enough for Eddy, I'll carry on short ones until I can't buy them. I do like the idea of bright socks for visibility and since longer means more visibilty I might head down that way. And on another note, as far as I'm concerned Armstrong started the long trend.
Less is more.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

As a road cyclist, funny sock tans should be the least of your tanline worries. How many of you with low-socks wear gloves...do you wear "arm coolers" too?

I like mid-length cuffs with patterns to break up the monotony.

Besides, I don't wear socks with my running shoes most of the time so I don't have a sock tanline anyway.

guyc

by guyc

Lelandjt wrote:
No.

Yes.

Earned on the road.

I’m not a sodding triathlete.

ebsilon

by ebsilon

shimmeD wrote:If it's good enough for Eddy, I'll carry on short ones until I can't buy them. I do like the idea of bright socks for visibility and since longer means more visibilty I might head down that way. And on another note, as far as I'm concerned Armstrong started the long trend.

+1
Speed of Lite

mag

by mag

@Nefarious86 white socks & pink bike, pink socks & white bike... the end of our world is near! ;-)

By the way: longer socks > more material needed > higher weight > fail! :-D

853guy

by 853guy

When I hoisted my leg over the top tube this morning at 8am it was 26 degrees Celcius.

By the time I hit the first incline, I had already folded my socks down to a more Merckx-friendly length.

Sorry, purists, but sometimes funtion takes precedence over form.

853guy

Wookski

by Wookski

In summer temperatures here can exceed 40 degrees C and I have never thought of folding down my socks :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com