“Correct” sock length

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

853guy

by 853guy

Wookski wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:16 am
In summer temperatures here can exceed 40 degrees C and I have never thought of folding down my socks :noidea:
I also had my zip down below my nipples. :oops:

And yes, you're totally welcome to equate the above as an admission of me being a complete light-weight (1).

853guy

(1) New Zealand slang. The opposite of being a hard man. I.e. "Wow, that guy's already passed out after one beer. What a total light-weight."

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

mag wrote:@Nefarious86 white socks & pink bike, pink socks & white bike... the end of our world is near! ;-)

By the way: longer socks > more material needed > higher weight > fail! :-D
Call the horsemen

I've got shit combos and mismatching down pat hahaImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wookski

by Wookski

Nefarious86 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:10 am
Call the horsemen

I've got shit combos and mismatching down pat haha
What a disaster!

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Let it flow through you. All the aero disc mismatching goodness.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Oohhhhhmmmm....
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

themidge

by themidge

I think my new assos socks are just the right length

Eddy Merckx looked cool with his short socks, but I don't think that style fits these days. Honestly, we all look pretty silly so I say do what you want :D.

TonyM

by TonyM

I am „old school“ (80/90s) and don‘t like high socks. Neither the current „regular“ nor the „high“ socks from Assos or Castelli or Rapha.

And they just don’t have any low socks....I suppose that in a few years when all my stock of socks is used I would have to go with higher socks....or maybe meanwhile the trend will come back...

Vagabond

by Vagabond

Five inch socks are as tall as I’ll go. Most of mine are three inches tall and lower. And I wear ankle socks on really hot days. All of mine are Defeet. I love their product.

The whole high sock thing to me is ridiculous. But you can all can express your individuality on all that fabric while all working hard to be exactly the same. Makes me chuckle.
Last edited by Vagabond on Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago e Campagnolo

Vagabond

by Vagabond

TonyM wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:11 pm
And they just don’t have any low socks....I suppose that in a few years when all my stock of socks is used I would have to go with higher socks....or maybe meanwhile the trend will come back...
Check out Defeet. The “Aireator” in particular.
Colnago e Campagnolo

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

I wear 4 inch white socks with rainbow polka-dots...but I occassionaly win races so...DILIGAF

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

I buy only white cotton female ankle socks - not more than 0,5 cm higher than the shoe. I also use "old style" jerseys, with sleeves ending right before the biceps, and shorter bibs (not Voeckler like short but covering like half of my upper leg.

why? first and foremost - tan lines (hint: see my avatar). even for work I often wear shorts and flip flops or surf slip-ons, or moccasins, plus a regular t-shirt. that's the wardrobe I use since late march till early october (sunny 10-15C means a flip flop season start). late '90s/early 00's standard tan lines just blund in with most of them (and no, I dont use gloves as well), and no one can tell I'm tanned untill I get naked ...OK, that didn't sound right, but you catch my drift (BTW, girls did dig that a lot, now my wife is probably so used to, she doesn't even notice lol)

second - long socks remind me of my tennis days and I'd just feel awkward wearing so much material when it's warm and sunny outside. and when it's wet - it's even worse. same with bibs and jerseys. I even entertained riding Cipo style with sleeveless jerseys, but then I looked like a dork and after few rides got rid of it (interestingly, sleeveles are kinda popular with female cyclists here).

so yeah, fashion is the least thing on my mind (of course I do ride color coordinated stuff, I'm no savage) but I guess covering so much of my body just feels wrong. I don't know who sets these leghts, but I'm fine with mine - been riding like this almost two decades now, and won't change it unless a doc tells me my health and life depend on it!
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I'm still confused by this tanline issue. Do you guys not go outdoors with shorts + flip-flops/running shoes and low/no socks ever? My feet, ankles and shins are virtually the same skin tone from only a couple days working outside in the yard/garden.

TonyM

by TonyM

Vagabond wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:07 pm
TonyM wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:11 pm
Check out Defeet. The “Aireator” in particular.
Thanks! :thumbup: for me Aireator 3" would be good indeed.

C36

by C36

Guess I am conservative but never understood the last 15 year trend to have the socks increasing in length and look like a football player. Still remember in 2006 the team dress code was very clear on this for races.
I would keep the just above the ankle, furthermore it keeps the tan lines less ridiculous :)

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Wookski

by Wookski

themidge wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:56 pm

Eddy Merckx looked cool with his short socks,
No, Merckx’s short socks looked stupid. Anquetil’s were perfect.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com