Black bibs any good?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Sock3t

by Sock3t

Want a couple of new Bibs since my cheap ones are starting to wear out. How do people feel about the "black bib" company bibs?

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Your "cheap ones" wore out? how much were they.......10 bucks? Jeez man, the bibs you are talking about are 40.00. That is ridiculously cheap and you will know why once you wear them. Even in the photos they look really bad man......seam stitching is completely folded and raised about 8mm above the panel. Cuffs are attrocious, and a "Cool Max" chamois. I don't know.......if you are used to 20.00 bibs they may be fine, but as far as serious road cycling goes, you don't even really begin to get into quality textiles and construction until you pass the 200.00 dollar mark.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

silvalis

by silvalis

just buy DHBs if you want cheap bibs
Chasse patate

blaugrana

by blaugrana

wheelbuilder wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:03 am
as far as serious road cycling goes, you don't even really begin to get into quality textiles and construction until you pass the 200.00 dollar mark.
200? I'd say that with anything below a 1000+ € custom made skinsuit there is no reason to bother trying to ride your bike.

AJS914

by AJS914

wheelbuilder wrote:
you don't even really begin to get into quality textiles and construction until you pass the 200.00 dollar mark.
Go on ebay and get some decent Pearl Izumi bibs for under $100.

henryj30

by henryj30

I have been reading reviews on pearl izumi and suprisingly quite a bit are negative. I'm thinking elite pursuit shorts or the pro r cool bibs. Maybe people are just upset with the sizing. I'm a 36 waist with larger legs so I'm going with the XL.
AJS914 wrote:
wheelbuilder wrote:
you don't even really begin to get into quality textiles and construction until you pass the 200.00 dollar mark.
Go on ebay and get some decent Pearl Izumi bibs for under $100.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Come on people. Give the guy a break - do any of you have experience of these bibs? I cannot comment, because I don't.

When purchasing cycling shorts, like most things, the more you spend the better product you will get. Look for brands which come highly recommended, and ask experienced cyclists what they wear. If they are sponsored riders, move on. It is about what people spend their own money on.

A good pair of bibs is all about the chamois. You should also avoid bibs which are printed (like most team shorts are) as the sublimation process shortens the life of the fabric (they will become non elastic faster). In the past, it used to be that the more panels, the better the fit. This was because fabric technology wasn't what it is today and joining multiple pieces to taylor the stretch was neccessary. This is now really old technology, and if you are looking for really good shorts, they will have as few panels as possible to reduce the number of seams (seams irritate the skin, can pull out hairs and prevent stretch which inhibits the fit). If you want shorts to be flattering, a higher front will pull your stomach in, but be aware that this makes it more difficult to use the toilet & at the same time puts pressure on your bladder meaning you will need to go more frequently. Finally make sure they fit you. MOST people I come across who complain that a bib is uncomfortable have bought a product which is too large for them. It isn't about the fit in the shop standing up, but the fit on the bicycle. Try to replicate this and look out for any bunching around the groin.

Remember some of the better brands have reputations for their products lasting forever, and some offer crash replacement / repair service. It is often better to buy one good pair of bibs and wash them immediately than to have multiple cheap ones. Your bum (well groin) will thank you for it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com