One Screw in Road Shoes

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

henryj30

by henryj30

My Shimano road shoes and ultegra pedal set up is too far towards my toe, this causes my legs to weaken and fatigue faster since my natural riding stroke is near the middle of my foot. Right now I put the cleat all the way down the middle but with one screw & screw plate (since the other two are too far up). Is this normal or should I get new shoes that have 3 screw holes farther down? Thank you all!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

silvalis

by silvalis

The cleat will pivot and you will pancake or crash. Need at least 2 screws.

I assume that you're aiming for a midfoot cleat position. something like method3 here
https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bi ... -position/

You will need to custom drill your shoe

I don't know your history, but if you've only just transitioned from flats to clipless i'd suggest to ride a few weeks with normal cleat positioning rather than try to do custom midfoot mounting...
Chasse patate

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Agreed that running only 1 bolt is just asking for trouble, possibly with consequences that leave you on the ground.

SPD-SL cleats are one of the more challenging to convert to midfoot. Redrilling for Speedplay, or 2 bolt SPD cleats, is much easier, since they both have a flat shoe/cleat interface rather than having a radius to the cleat. http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2 ... ition.html

Some shoes allow a more rearward cleat position than others, but there is no standard measure. Within brands, Shimano and Specialized both have tended to be further back than other brands (depending on model a bit), and then both have been creeping back further still. I mean that in terms of the centerpoint of the range of adjustment, and in terms of how much total range they offer. If you have current 2018 Shimano shoes though, you are likely about as far back as you can get on a stock offering.

I agree with silvalis. If clipless is new for you, give your calves time to adapt. You also might want to reevaluate your saddle height, both because your new shoe setup will have changed your effective reach to the pedals, and because having your saddle too high can cause you to have to point your toes to reach the pedal at 6 o'clock, which strains the calves.

I've been redrilling my shoes for years, and don't plan to stop any time soon, so I don't mean to discourage you, but I don't reccomend it to others unless there is a compelling reason, due to the hassle and potential to mess it up.