Help with new kit choice

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

wobbly

by wobbly

I'd appreciate help with choosing some new kit.

Three 3 things in mind

New adaptor head for CO2. Last one broke just when I needed it :shock: half way down a mountain and was solo. Put a small amount of air in tube before fitting inside tyre and the tap decided to blow....I just added to the world's CO2 problem :shock: :shock:
Had to wait for a fellow descender to pass and ask for help. So which CO2 tap is best rated - preferably a metal one that wont let me down again. Advice please.

2nd: I normally wear club top with a variety of bibs. But I like the look of the ones with fluo yellow around the arms or waist - also better visibilty on the road. Apart from Ale, any other jerseys that you would recommend. (Also catering for taller fit if poss)

3rd bit of kit - which mini-pump do you use/carry (in case point 1 fails again)

thanks for your suggestions...

1415chris

by 1415chris

Point 1. Genuine Innovations Air Chuck, hard to beat. Fully made of metal, small only 16g, works perfectly and comes with lifetime warranty.
There is also Air Chuck + version with added plastic handle, so no need to hold cartridge directly. Personally I have never felt that holding Co2 cartridge even in bare hand is problematic.
Point 3. I use pump only on trips abroad as Co2 not allowed on airplanes. In that case Lezyne Road Drive Mini.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wobbly

by wobbly

thanks Chris
ordered :thumbup: :thumbup:

micky

by micky

I happened to get for free a Bontrager mini pump which is really.............mini, it's small enough to hide inside my jersey pocket but at the same time the few times I had to use it, it worked perfectly.

TonyM

by TonyM

My mini pump for the jersey pocket: 85g only

http://www.blackburndesign.com/en_ca/pu ... -pump.html

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

@TonyM does that pump actually work - as in, can it get you back on the road following a puncture?
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

TonyM

by TonyM

Yes it works good! But if you want 100 psi with any of these really small pumps you have to spend some time and energy. They are for me the backup of a CO2 cartridge.

themidge

by themidge

@Fuchspk wins the light weight pump game!
https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 5#p1294429

Multebear

by Multebear

Regardng no 3, I posted a similar question some time ago and most people recommended the Lezyne drive pumps. They come in a couple different styles, designs and sizes. I bought both a Lezyne Pressure Drive size medium, and a Lezyne Tech Drive Size small. Both are very good. They give pretty high pressure, and you're not about to lose your arm with pain when done using it. The smallest one is almost completely hidden in the jersey pocket. And they have this adaptable rubber hose that screws onto the head of the pump. This does two things; firstly it makes attaching the adapter to the inner tube valve much easier and because it can be threaded on to the valve it is secure and won’t blow off as you build tyre pressure. And that is the second point, the hose effectively makes the pump a lot longer giving it the ability to push more air under pressure:

REGICYCLE

by REGICYCLE

RE NO.2 - http://www.wiggle.com.au/dotout-pure-jersey-1/
This is one of my favourite jerseys, not sure if its available in your location or not... It has an aero styled fit and is super comfortable... I also use and love their Icon bibs.

wobbly

by wobbly

thanks Regi - yes, I have been going through the wiggle pages :thumbup:

The pump and CO2 adaptor have arrived and seem solid and well made - the CO2 adaptor was on amazon and included 2 carts.

Any more suggestions for good quality jerseys with fluo style sleeves or band around waist area . Thanks

REGICYCLE

by REGICYCLE

No problem... You did say apart from Alé, but the PRR 2.0 Piuma Jersey is a great option for a superlight summer jersey or even for cooler days with an undershirt.
I haven't personally tried it but a friend uses the Morvelo Marley short sleeve in grey and fluro and likes it...
No idea about these but they look ok
Santini SMS Interactive 2.0 SS Jersey Fluro Yellow 2016
Santini SMS Airform 3.0 Jersey Yellow/Navy Blue 2018
Castelli Climbers 2.0 Jersey Anthracite 2019
It's surprising, but when you actually look for tasteful fluro and black jerseys, they aren't easy to find :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com