Flims, Switzerland

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Im staying for three days in Flims Switzerland. Any tips for good HC climbs?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jorisee01

by jorisee01

No one? I'm a bit afraid I will end up on MTB roads

elSid

by elSid

I've only driven through Flims, but there are at least 5 1300+ meter climbs nearby. using google steeet view, I can see they're paved. Appear very quiet and scenic. Or, just take a train (or ride) a bit west to Andermatt, where there are a bunch of giant, famous climbs and options for loops.

edited due to misspelling Andermatt
Last edited by elSid on Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Thanks. I'll take a look at Andrermat.

elSid

by elSid

From Andermatt, riding south to Wassen, over Sustenpass, then Grimselpass, and finally, Furkapass, is among the top five rides I've ever experienced.

basilic

by basilic

MTB roads cannot be all that bad there, it's Nino Schurter country.

Flims isnt exactly central to the main road passes, but they're not far.
Oberalppass from Disentis takes you to Andermatt, and the loop described above is excellent (North/down to Wassen, Sustenpass to Innertkirchen, Grimselpass to Gletsch, Furka from the West), as is Furka from the East to Ulrichen, Nufenen pass to Airolo, and the old paved Tremola road up Gothard pass (a classic). From Andermatt both are about 150km and >3000 climbing, so maybe overnight there. The busy road from Andermatt down to Wassen is unpleasant at the start, it's bearable as you're going downhill faster than most cars, but by all means take the bike route turn-off just as the covered galleries end (wine colored arrow to Goschenen, across the road so easy to miss). At the top of Grimselpass do the short extension West to see the Oberaarsee and high alpine peaks, it's worth the effort.
Or head SE to Thusis. Ride up to Glasspass (little known but hard) and back, up San Bernardino pass (the road is in tunnels and quite scary to begin with), and even better to Splugen pass, down to Chiavenna, then East to Maloja pass and Silvaplana (fronm Chiavenna to the Swiss border there is a nice bike path to avoid the traffic), then Julier pass and down to Tiefencastel (I would take the train from Tiefencastel to Thusis, too many tunnels; or straight to Flims). If you ride toward Spluga/San Bernardino stop in Zillis and visit the fabulous XIIth century church with incredible painted ceiling.
From Tiefencastel ride to Filisur and up Albula pass, very pretty from that side, then return from Engadin by way of Julier or Flüela pass.

I would also ride into the local dead-end valleys, such as Safiental, Lumnezia, the road up to Kunkelspass from Tamins, or the small road Ilanz to Versam to Bonaduz (I have not done these personally but have heard good things). Vals has a great spa, interesting modern building by Zumthor, but the road tends to be a bit busy due to that.

By all means use the trains. Get a day ticket for the bike. Very practical, esp if you are caught in a storm and would rather pack it in. And they are the pretty red ones there, Unesco approved.

PS: a personal favorite: once you are down in Innertkirchen, turn N to Meiringen, and atop the small hill between the 2 towns turn left to Grosse Scheidegg, then down to Grindelwald (return by Interlaken and lake Brienz). You will not regret this.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Wow! Great info guys! I will look into it.

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Check out the Mannlichen climb out of Grindelwald. Some super steep sections and some lovely quiet sections at 7-10%. An awesome climb. The Grimsel, Nufenen, Gotthard and Susten loop is probably the best day on a bike I have ever had. Truly awe inspiring and the Nufenen out of Obergoms is damn hard.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com