Time S C/K YLON OWNERS, WHAT CRANK SET BRAND DID YOU USE?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

DEADRE

by DEADRE

Hi Everyone,

I’m asking this question because I’m in the process of purchasing the TIME Alpe d’Huez Ulteam Frame, but before in doing so, I need to ask the below question, so that I do not waste any money in the process. Thank you everyone!

Time S C/K Y LON (BB 386) owners please prove me wrong what I’m saying below:

In my 2 cents, I feel that with the manufacturers producing these frames with press fit bottom brackets cups, as means of saving weight or the new trend of BB’s. It seems that in doing so, the crankset when spun with out the chain attached, only spins about 1/2 to 2 revolutions the most (1st video). When this happens, the effort to just pedal takes so much out of you, that you tire out easily, it’s as if you are pedaling with your brakes on (please don’t even suggest that I have break rub) or up a hill while you’re on flat terrain. Unlike it’s predecessor, the cups that you screw in the frame, it spins freely with out any hindrance (2nd video).

I recently asked an owner of a Skylon, (Ultegra crankset) to remove the chain & spin the crankset. His response was it was only able to spin 1 revolution. For me I find this troubling because if this is the case and frame can not function at a 100%, while pedaling. You’ll find your self being dropped, losing $$$$$ because the frame is flawed by Design & now you have to sell it or just hating cycling because your rig is not up to par.

For you Time S C/K Y LON owners, here is a list of crankset that is out there (if I miss, sorry, say your piece). Please adv. which one of these crankset that is currently in your bike & spins freely like the #2 video. If your crankset spins like video #1, now you know your dilemma. If you had video #1 drama, what actions did you do to fix the situation?

1. FSA
2. Shimano
3. Campagnolo
4. Rotor
5. THM
6. AX lightness Morpheus
7. Sram

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2rg-RfD75E

2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTbzeuye6W4
Last edited by DEADRE on Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Campy Super Record. Campy cups. Spins fine. All about the install. Use proper press, make sure the cups are in straight and square. That first video is a bodge job. Could be several things wrong with it, but it’s not right. At all.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

I also use Campy Super Record with Campy BB386 cups. I had FSA cups before. Both work perfect.
Time has been tested by Hambini for BB tolerance and it came at the very top:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zryhuHkbb-o&t=3s

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Well, I don't know that Hambini's test (and I have the most utmost respect for what he does), are the be all and end all of praising Time's tolerances. Having built a couple or three, maybe four or more... Time leaves a lot to be desired in certain design areas, not the least of which is their seatmast clamps... and don't even get me started on the ill fitting grommet for EPS/di2 wires coming out of the chainstay.

But the bottom bracket installed just fine, no better, no worse than others I've done, providing you do it just right. Again, it's really the quality of install that matters in most pressfit applications... get that right, and it should be fine. And I checked tolerances of the shell before I started. It was ok... not as good as say, the alloy Threadfit shell in the Colnago threadfit systems, but good enough that there's been no problems since.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

kgt

by kgt

Hambini tested 200 frames in samples of 12 from each brand. He had only good things to say about Colnago (see comments) mainly because of their 90mm spacing and not because of the alu inserts. Cannondales had also alu inserts (or full alu BB in the case of CAADs) but not good tolerances.
Very few brands with full carbon BB (see Time or Look) had proper alignments and tolerances.