Leg size differences

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

3rdworldcycling

by 3rdworldcycling

So I'm right leg dominant, I'm about 3 years into my cycling each year a bit more intense and I have always had fitting issues with my left leg having pain over a longer ride , I have always noticed that there were strength differences my right leg being stronger I have finally measured my thighs and it's a solid 1inch difference in size, what can I do to bring my less dominant peg up to par?

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

Ghost234

by Ghost234

I'm a little different. I'm right leg dominant... but my left leg is bigger and stronger (no idea why). Even when I gave up cycling and hit the gym full time for 2 years, the differences never dissapeared (although my legs ballooned).

Various power meters have always had me with 49/51 to 51/49, so on the bike it always came about even. I have never felt any pain. I'm not sure how to fix the pain issue (maybe a fit issue?), but size rarely has anything to do with it. If you were to measure most left/right side muscles, you would find discepencies anyway.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

3rdworldcycling

by 3rdworldcycling

Im now riding a more aggressive specialized allez which fits a bit better and the pain is gone, I've read articles that suggest riding at higher cadence 100+ and that will help even out the work load across each leg, I don't have a power meter but just from feel I can tell my right leg is working more

kytyree

by kytyree

I never measured my legs but I used to have issues on one side but I think riding more, improving the fit over time, focusing on a good stretching program and improved core strength seem to have made it a thing of the past.

Working on riding smoothly and not grinding along low cadence in too big of a gear can alleviate a lot of problems. I think for me sometimes it was just a matter of one side of my body getting tired first coupled with cycling a lot, sitting too much for my job and not doing anything to counter that.

3rdworldcycling

by 3rdworldcycling

I find myself with many of what you described, haven't Incorporated any core work or stretching tho, I should try those