Saddle bag and tools choice?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

TLN

by TLN

Hi all.

I've lost my SpeedSlev Saddlebag recently, and have to replace all the tools now. What do you guys use to store all the stuff? May be there're better optnions (storage ardound bottle holder?) Need to carry very minimum: tubes, wrench keys, etc for short and fast rides.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mentok

by mentok

For <2hr rides I'm not normally carrying water so I've been using one of these:

uraqt

by uraqt

I love my Silica bag

https://silca.cc/collections/packs/prod ... oll-premio

It's $$$$$$$$$ but It's going to last for sure.. and it's not light..

I also use fizik sadle so I have one of these

https://www.fizik.com/us_en/men/accesso ... ium-1.html

You have to make sure you get the updated fizik one, the 1st gen one from a 4 or 5 years ago had really bad reviews.. But I hunted for a G2 one when they came out and it's not broken after a few years...

That said the silca bag is by far the best made and designed one period. They need to come out with one that is made of Dyneema and made to save weigh at the cost of durability.
C

TLN

by TLN

uraqt wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:22 am
I love my Silica bag

https://silca.cc/collections/packs/prod ... oll-premio

It's $$$$$$$$$ but It's going to last for sure.. and it's not light..
How is it secued to saddle? I see Boa and one button. Is therre anything else? Or if this buttons opens somehow - I lose all my stuff?

uraqt

by uraqt

: )
I don't think the Boa is going to break loose.... you can crank it down....

C

sychen

by sychen

uraqt wrote:: )

C
I use the silca.. So far so good. No issues with cranking down.
Boa cables are changeable.. If it breaks.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

themidge

by themidge

I use a chopped off bottle if it's a ride under 3 hours (only need one water bottle). That's enough to carry a mini-pump, tyre levers, 1 tube, and park super patches. I used to use a saddle bag for longer rides (two water bottles), but recently I've taken to cramming everything into my pockets (unless it might rain), seems to be working so far.

TLN

by TLN

sychen wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:11 am
uraqt wrote:: )

C
I use the silca.. So far so good. No issues with cranking down.
Boa cables are changeable.. If it breaks.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I mean, if it's only secured by Boa and Button? I.e. if that button accidentally opens - bag will fall off the bike? OR there's something else that secures it to the saddle?

TimW

by TimW

Silca roll for me too. Previously used an Arundell bag which was good but this is better. Cranks up nice and sung, no rattles. Once opened it is so easy to get things in and out compared to a saddlepack. One of my current fave purchases.

No the bag will not come off if the popper comes undone as the cable loops over a catch and is tightened.

uraqt

by uraqt

Sorry I knew I didn't really answer as sooon as clicked submit...

On the cable end of the boa there is a floating plactic c shaped clasp that goes around a 1/2 circle post that is cross stitched in to the bag. It's almost a snap fit it's so close.. There really is no way it's coming off, the snap button part is just to hold down the easy to grab tab for the c shaped clasp.

C

TonyM

by TonyM

For either no saddle bag but a jersey bag from Rapha (which replaced a ziplock bag) for the regular bike rides, or a small Castelli saddle bag when I go for a very long bike ride and need all the space in my jersey pockets. In the winter I use sometimes a bottle as a tool box.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bilwit

by bilwit

I used to not bother with saddle bags but found myself having to stuff so many things into my jersey pockets that it felt unwieldy, the weight of everything pulling my jersey down like a boat anchor. Now if I'm in that situation I use:

Blackburn Barrier Micro

25gs, fits an inner, co2, co2 head, a couple levers, flat-shaped multitool, and I can squeeze one of those small front lights that wrap around the handlebars in there.