Any feedback on the garmin speed and cadence sensors (the magnetless ones)

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

As my GSC-10 speed/cadence sensors are getting older, I was looking at the magnetless speed/cadence sensors that mount on the hub and crank arm. Does anyone have any feedback on their performance, lifespan, etc and or comparison to using the GSC 10 with magnets?

Thx...
Speedplay is the devil!

coriordan

by coriordan

No issues whatsoever. Have gsc-10 on one bike and the hub based one on another. Both fine.

The cadence sensor on the new one does seem to be vunerable to being snagged and ripped off.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

i had a set, but ended up getting rid of them. they just look fugly. didn't care for them. i wing it and use the GPS in my Garmin.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

shuttlenote

by shuttlenote

No issues as well.

I don't use the speed sensor either, just rely on Garmin headunit.

mattr

by mattr

I "lost" mine.

Except I didn't, they've been strapped to my training bike (black hubs, black crank) and just doing their thing ever since i got them. So about a year.

Bogan

by Bogan

No issues whatsoever. I have the speed and cadence sensors.
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

sib

by sib

I have two genuine Garmin speed sensors and a cheap Chinese copy - all three work flawlessly.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Thanks for the feedback. I need the speed sensor as I tend to have long sections of riding under cover of trees, which is fantastic on hot days, but you watch your speed drop 2-5 mph because of the interference. I've had this w/ the original garmin edge 305, then the 500, and now with the 800.
Speedplay is the devil!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I tried the magnetless Garmin sensors for awhile. Then took them off. Didn’t like the ugly brick on my hub. But it also seemed to take a while to “connect”. The magnet based sensors are immediate and reliable. Since they don’t make the GSC-10 anymore I’m using the Wahoo sensor... it’s small and easy to fit, and looks good I think.
I don’t like using gps only based speed as, like you point out, it’s easy to lose the signal in canopied wooded areas, cities and tunnels. You can always tell when signals are being lost when riding in a group through wooded areas. Beeping all over the place.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

nickf

by nickf

I use the speed sensor on my mountain bike. Works great at low speeds and when there is a lot of tree cover. Road bike Its GPS only.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

ugly but work for me..connects fast
GPS speed for me is garbage and I dont trust it.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

TonyM

by TonyM

I tried them and they do work good! But so ugly.....

zebragonzo

by zebragonzo

I use the cadence sensor on my cross bikes. Works no problems for me. I like the lack a sensor that can twist slightly around the chainstay and start rubbing against the crank/spoke magnets.
Dimples: Laminar flow separates more easily from a surface than turbulent air. Delayed separation reduces drag. A groove perpendicular to the flow triggers laminar to turbulent conversion. A spinning object uses dimples so an edge always faces the flow.

desperado95219

by desperado95219

I have the magnetless sensors on two bikes. The speed sensors work perfectly for me...every bit as well as the old magnet version. The cadence sensor also works fine, but the black band that holds it on the crank arm makes black marks on my white shoes no matter where I mount it on the arm.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

I'm not a massive fan of Garmin, I had a HR strap that went wrong, and an Edge 520 replaced on warranty. But I've done probably over 50,000kms on the Garmin speed and cadence sensors, they work very well all conditions, would recommend them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com