Bandit Clips

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

zebragonzo

by zebragonzo

Hi all... it's been a while since I've posted on here*!

When I came back to cycling, it really bugged me about how bad bib shorts were. Lots of stuff has been fixed in my 6 year absence, but this problem remains. One-piece race suits were meant to be the answer but then you're stuck with the jersey and shorts. What happens when you want a different short/jersey combo? Also, there is still no decent way to escape bibs for toilet breaks.

Anyhow, I came up with a solution that works brilliantly for me; a temporary clip between jersey and shorts. Enough people were interested that I've put it out for crowdfunding. Please take a look and give me your thoughts:
Link

*The reason was actually related to a post I saw on here years back - someone posted that if you're not enjoying cycling then take a break until you miss it then come back. I've taken a break and now I'm coming back!
Dimples: Laminar flow separates more easily from a surface than turbulent air. Delayed separation reduces drag. A groove perpendicular to the flow triggers laminar to turbulent conversion. A spinning object uses dimples so an edge always faces the flow.

zebragonzo

by zebragonzo

Oh and being weight weenies, you'll be wanting the weights of the bibs vs two pairs of Bandit Clips
10g for 2x pairs Bandit Clips vs 51g for the bibs cut off my Assos shorts:
Dimples: Laminar flow separates more easily from a surface than turbulent air. Delayed separation reduces drag. A groove perpendicular to the flow triggers laminar to turbulent conversion. A spinning object uses dimples so an edge always faces the flow.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zebragonzo

by zebragonzo

There doesn't seem to be a lot of interest.

Would anyone mind giving me some feedback - is everyone completely happy with bib shorts and doesn't see the need for this?

FilmAt11

by FilmAt11

Yes, perfectly happy with quality bib shorts and well cut jerseys and jackets. Once I was enlightened to bib shorts (no waistband!), I've never considered shorts again.

TonyM

by TonyM

Very happy with my Assos bibs (even with my Rapha and Castelli bibs). Shorts are not an option for me.

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Bib shorts all the way for me.

zebragonzo

by zebragonzo

Have any of you guys tried the one piece race suits which are meant to be far more comfortable than seperate bibs & jersey?

I can understand the resistance, but I can't believe that you don't resent the difficulty in peeing or the extra material covering your torso on hot days?

IchDien

by IchDien

To be fair Castelli bibs are cut very low at the front in order to solve both of those issues.

FilmAt11

by FilmAt11

No resistance, many feel that bibs are a superior solution. Believe it - no resentment...I love bibs!!! Comfort and breathing without the waistband is really a big factor. Front deployment is not an issue IMO.

mattr

by mattr

zebragonzo wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:50 pm
Have any of you guys tried the one piece race suits which are meant to be far more comfortable than seperate bibs & jersey?

I can understand the resistance, but I can't believe that you don't resent the difficulty in peeing or the extra material covering your torso on hot days?
skinsuits you mean? Been using them on and off for 25 years and never had an issue. Same with bib shorts.

Maybe you need better fitting shorts? Or just better gear.
I almost always wear a base layer as well. Even when it's 30 + outside.

kkibbler

by kkibbler

I mean I prefer a slice of cake over getting kicked in the teeth. I’m not resistant to getting kicked, it’s just that one is far more enjoyable than the other. :p

Also bib straps pull double duty as nipple protectors on those really sweaty days.

No issues with frontal relief either: Pull down or roll up a leg no big deal.

bilwit

by bilwit

zebragonzo wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:21 pm
There doesn't seem to be a lot of interest.

Would anyone mind giving me some feedback - is everyone completely happy with bib shorts and doesn't see the need for this?
I can't really see why anyone wouldn't just wear bibs. The clips are a solution for a problem that has not only already been solved long ago, but already has a universally accepted standard in cycling culture. Maybe some people just can't be comfortable with bibs and prefer shorts and those are the people you're targetting, but I can't really imagine there's a big market for that.

Shorts have their place though... on the trainer.. in which case most people don't bother with a jersey in that case and wouldn't need the clips :noidea:

zebragonzo

by zebragonzo

Thanks again for everyone's replies. To answer some specific points:
mattr wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:35 pm
zebragonzo wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:50 pm
skinsuits you mean? Been using them on and off for 25 years and never had an issue. Same with bib shorts.

Maybe you need better fitting shorts? Or just better gear.
I almost always wear a base layer as well. Even when it's 30 + outside.
There seem to be several different names for them, but something like the following (from a guy who rides really long distance):
https://ridefar.info/2016/12/the-most-c ... e-outfits/

All reviews I've ever found of this type of 2 in 1 jersey-shorts kit, by people who review all brands and types of kit, say that switching to kit where the jersey is sewn onto the shorts at the back is much more comfortable than bibs and jersey. I was hoping that someone on here had tried them so they could share their experience.

For me, I've tried top end stuff from Assos and Endura. Bandit Clips work so much better, but then I would say that...
bilwit wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:11 pm
I can't really see why anyone wouldn't just wear bibs. The clips are a solution for a problem that has not only already been solved long ago, but already has a universally accepted standard in cycling culture. Maybe some people just can't be comfortable with bibs and prefer shorts and those are the people you're targetting, but I can't really imagine there's a big market for that.

Shorts have their place though... on the trainer.. in which case most people don't bother with a jersey in that case and wouldn't need the clips :noidea:
Everyone used to wear braces to hold their trousers up, but now no-one does. You can't honestly believe that there is no step change development that could improve the current range of clothing? In shoes, evereyone used to be fine with laces, then velcro, then ratchets and now boa. As linked above, one piece jersey-shorts are more comfortable.

For clarity, I'm not saying that waistband shorts are the way to go - I did most of my testing on bib shorts with the bibs cut off, but I've also tried waistband shorts with the waistband cut through.

mattr

by mattr

zebragonzo wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:04 am
All reviews I've ever found of this type of 2 in 1 jersey-shorts kit, by people who review all brands and types of kit, say that switching to kit where the jersey is sewn onto the shorts at the back is much more comfortable than bibs and jersey. I was hoping that someone on here had tried them so they could share their experience.
well, yeah. People who find bibs and jerseys comfortable aren't going to drop a couple of hundred quid or more on something as limited as a speed suit. And TBH they sound just like the skinsuits i used to use for MTBing and/or CX, full length zip and a couple of pockets. And they weren't used for comfort, just convenience.
zebragonzo wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:04 am
As linked above, one piece jersey-shorts are more comfortable.
you'll need to hawk your wares somewhere that people agree with you then.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

basilic

by basilic

zebra, I can sort of see why your idea makes some sense, but:
1) the "problem" of overlap between shorts and jersey isn't (a big) one, esp with say assos bibs that are widely cut at the front
2) your proposal requires a lot of (guess)work:
- cut and destroy perfectly good bibs
- hem them so they don't unravel
- position correctly the hooks on all bibs and jerseys, sew them on. This may be a nightmare with different brands of each, different elasticities, etc

maybe female cyclists may have interest, as the requirements for nature breaks are different.
GL!