Bandit Clips

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

zebragonzo

by zebragonzo

Thanks for your comments Basilic.
basilic wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:03 pm
zebra, I can sort of see why your idea makes some sense, but:
1) the "problem" of overlap between shorts and jersey isn't (a big) one, esp with say assos bibs that are widely cut at the front
2) your proposal requires a lot of (guess)work:
- cut and destroy perfectly good bibs
- hem them so they don't unravel
- position correctly the hooks on all bibs and jerseys, sew them on. This may be a nightmare with different brands of each, different elasticities, etc
I get what you're saying - I started off on old bib shorts with this as I wasn't too sure how well this would work, but I've now cut the bibs off all my shorts! I was also slightly nervous about the hem, but there's no unravelling at all oddly even after washing kit for months with exposed seams. Although sewing is the "better" option, I still use the temporary fasteners on some kit - no sewing required!
mattr wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:10 pm
you'll need to hawk your wares somewhere that people agree with you then.
It seems that very few people have tried the 2in1s where everyone raves about the comfort (and no, I don't mean skinsuits). I had very limited ambitions when I set out - make back my costs and provide a solution to make other riders more comfortable. I'm not giving up on those goals yet - I'll go away and get a range of people to test this and provide feedback. Until then, next time you're riding up a steep climb and sweating rivers, think about how nice it would be to unzip your jersey and have a nice cooling breeze against your chest and 50% less insulating fabric across your back!
Dimples: Laminar flow separates more easily from a surface than turbulent air. Delayed separation reduces drag. A groove perpendicular to the flow triggers laminar to turbulent conversion. A spinning object uses dimples so an edge always faces the flow.

mattr

by mattr

What sort of bibs are you buying?

Some sort of body suit?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zebragonzo

by zebragonzo

mattr wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:42 pm
What sort of bibs are you buying?

Some sort of body suit?
:D

The 2nd post shows the 50grams of Assos insulation that I no longer have to lug around in the current heatwave. I didn't weight the bibs on my Endura FS260 pros but I believe they will also have similar thermal and weight properties as the assos bibs or, say, a small star.
Dimples: Laminar flow separates more easily from a surface than turbulent air. Delayed separation reduces drag. A groove perpendicular to the flow triggers laminar to turbulent conversion. A spinning object uses dimples so an edge always faces the flow.

kkibbler

by kkibbler

If you’re really angling to sell this thing might wanna change the name. Specialized have “Bandit” accessories and they’re litigious.

mattr

by mattr

Funny, all mine have straps ~2" wide, mostly made out of mesh. Provide no insulation at all. Heart rate monitor strap provides more.........

mattr

by mattr

zebragonzo wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:54 pm
It seems that very few people have tried the 2in1s where everyone raves about the comfort (and no, I don't mean skinsuits). I had very limited ambitions when I set out - make back my costs and provide a solution to make other riders more comfortable. I'm not giving up on those goals yet - I'll go away and get a range of people to test this and provide feedback.
The skin suits i was talking about had a full length zip and "flaps", i.e. only stitched on the back half of the jersey. Not all the way round to the end of the zip. I don't have them anymore (too small and pretty shredded after a few seasons MTBing) still have a few proper skinsuits though (also too small! Just can't bring myself to chuck them.)
zebragonzo wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:54 pm
Until then, next time you're riding up a steep climb and sweating rivers, think about how nice it would be to unzip your jersey and have a nice cooling breeze against your chest and 50% less insulating fabric across your back!
Um, thats everytime i open my jersey. Maybe your issue is wearing lycra right next to the skin. I find that unpleasant and clammy, especially when not riding at high speeds, so i wear a wicking base layer and the whole issue goes away. Fast or slow, no clammyness, no rivers of sweat (whut??), and a pleasant breeze with an open jersey. Only issue is zipping the bloody thing back up if i undo the zip completely.
Using a 2 in 1 (or whatever you call them) won't solve the issue, as i'll still have a lycra top against the skin.

zebragonzo

by zebragonzo

kkibbler wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:35 am
If you’re really angling to sell this thing might wanna change the name. Specialized have “Bandit” accessories and they’re litigious.
Good spot. It seems that there's more development required in multiple areas!
mattr wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:56 am
Um, thats everytime i open my jersey. Maybe your issue is wearing lycra right next to the skin. I find that unpleasant and clammy, especially when not riding at high speeds, so i wear a wicking base layer and the whole issue goes away. Fast or slow, no clammyness, no rivers of sweat (whut??), and a pleasant breeze with an open jersey. Only issue is zipping the bloody thing back up if i undo the zip completely.

Using a 2 in 1 (or whatever you call them) won't solve the issue, as i'll still have a lycra top against the skin.
I think that the only thing that we'll ever agree on is the difficultly of zipping back up!

I know that I'm not going to change your mind on anything, but on a point of clarity; I've never suggested wearing lycra against your torso. The 2 in 1s seem to be a regular jersey on top (similar material to your non-insulating bibs). Similarly with the clips (whatever they're now called), you wear a regular jersey on top. Also worth mentioning is that after getting rid of bibs is the first time in my life I've ever been comfortable without a base layer.

mattr

by mattr

A large number of my jerseys, race or otherwise, are a lycra mix, usually with polyester.
Probably all of them.