Stages Power Meter G2 discrepency with Strava and cutting out?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

dim

by dim

I recently bought a Dura Ace 9000 crankset with a Stages G2 Powermeter.

My son is using the power meter in the meantime on his Canyon.

He went for a short ride today, and the Garmin Edge 1000 (v14.7 software) and on the Garmin Edge, the average Power stated 135 Watts, but on Strava, it shows it at 107 Watts.

We have the latest firmware on the Stages.

When he cycles, it shows the cadence and power readings, but then sometimes the readings show 0 (while he is pedalling with the same effort) .... this happens for 2-3 seconds. The Stages has a brand new battery

Why is there a descrepancy between Stages and Strava, and why does it keep cutting out (showing 0) .... the ride was for approx 40 minutes and this happened 4 times?
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

bilwit

by bilwit

Average power can differ depending on your settings and whatever Strava's method is, ie. if you choose the option to "include zeroes in power average" on your head unit then the average will be much lower than without that option.

If you have Strava premium or any other power analytic tool, just look at the segments where the issue happened and see if the power data actually did drop at those times. Otherwise it might be just a weird blip with the head unit. If the data proves it's a problem then you should probably contact support and get it replaced under warranty..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dim

by dim

bilwit wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:29 pm
Average power can differ depending on your settings and whatever Strava's method is, ie. if you choose the option to "include zeroes in power average" on your head unit then the average will be much lower than without that option.

If you have Strava premium or any other power analytic tool, just look at the segments where the issue happened and see if the power data actually did drop at those times. Otherwise it might be just a weird blip with the head unit. If the data proves it's a problem then you should get it replaced under warranty..
thanks .... I will look into that and perhaps I need to change some settings on my Edge 1000 .... My son also uses the Garmin Varia Radar unit and I'm not sure if that might interfere with the Stages PM
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

dim

by dim

A quick update .... I removed the silicon protective case from my Garmin Edge 1000 and problem sorted. (I read an article that stated that sometimes the case can cause problems with signal between the Stages Powermeter and the Garmin Edge.

It's working perfectly now
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand