Moving to warmer climates, thinking of downsizing (n-1)

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

raggi

by raggi

So next fall my girlfriend and I will be moving from Iceland to Spain. For the past two years I've been running two bikes; one rim brake bike (Tarmac) I use for training and racing, and then a disc brake do-it-all bike (Open U.P.) I use for outdoor training in the winter running studded tires, and then gravel and wet weather training in the summer (there's a lot of wet weather training during the Icelandic summer).

Now that I probably won't need a bike to run studded tires in the winter I want to take the opportunity to run a single bike for training (also makes it a lot easier to move between countries etc).

I can't decide whether I should just keep my rim brake tarmac (SL6, amazing bike), or if I should get a new disc brake bike to help with downhill braking in the wet, rim wear, etc, since I'm going to be riding/climbing in rain.

Option a. Sell off both bikes and get a single disc brake race bike for all-year-round training/racing.
Option b. Keep the rim brake bike and deal with dodgy carbon-clincher descending and the inevitable rim brake track wear.
Option c. Just stop overcomplicating things, enjoy the experience and ride your damn bike?

Anyone that has any experience dealing with this kind of life-altering-decision want to chime in?

mattr

by mattr

Option c
But get some large slicks for the UP and use it for exploring the lanes and tracks.
Two bikes, no overlap.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Oh, FWIW i moved to colder climates (UK to Sweden) and used it as an opportunity to do the old N+1. As houses are cheaper and cost of living is lower, i can actually afford it now. And i've got space to store everything :D

bilwit

by bilwit

wait.. what's wrong with your current disc bike? Doesn't that already do the job you're looking to replace them with?

I currently run a similar setup and having one posh rim brake bike and one nice disc+fender bike is perfect for me. The weather can be off and on on a day to day basis so being able to grab one or the other at the ready without planning ahead or having to remount fenders is great.

Boshk

by Boshk

raggi wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:19 am
So next fall my girlfriend and I will be moving from Iceland to Spain. For the past two years I've been running two bikes; one rim brake bike (Tarmac) I use for training and racing, and then a disc brake do-it-all bike (Open U.P.) I use for outdoor training in the winter running studded tires, and then gravel and wet weather training in the summer (there's a lot of wet weather training during the Icelandic summer).

Now that I probably won't need a bike to run studded tires in the winter I want to take the opportunity to run a single bike for training (also makes it a lot easier to move between countries etc).

I can't decide whether I should just keep my rim brake tarmac (SL6, amazing bike), or if I should get a new disc brake bike to help with downhill braking in the wet, rim wear, etc, since I'm going to be riding/climbing in rain.

Option a. Sell off both bikes and get a single disc brake race bike for all-year-round training/racing.
Option b. Keep the rim brake bike and deal with dodgy carbon-clincher descending and the inevitable rim brake track wear.
Option c. Just stop overcomplicating things, enjoy the experience and ride your damn bike?

Anyone that has any experience dealing with this kind of life-altering-decision want to chime in?
Option D :mrgreen:

You already quoted SL6=amazing bike....I assume it fits you really well and you enjoy it a lot, but its rim brake..
You could consider selling the disc brake bike.....to make it easier to move in the future....AND get a 'standard' wheel set...ie alloy rim for those days where you think its higher likely to rain.

cassette are not too expensive unless you like DA, SR versions...just get exactly the same one so theres no need to re-index

Could consider something like:
- Campagnolo Zonda wheels if you are on campy groupset with Koolstop Salmon version pads (apparently they are extremely good in wet)....around €300 new
- Fulcrum or Shimano wheels if you are on shimano....(not too sure on their models or price)

I don't think you really care about appearance or a few 100g weight difference when its pouring with rain....

Rim will never be as good as disc for braking in wet, I think 99% of people would agree, but its the closest you can get without buying a new tarmac disc bike.

flying

by flying

Option C 101%

AJS914

by AJS914

I've ridden my gravel bike as much as my road bike in the last year so I'd keep both.

I've moved a bunch of times in the last two years. In the end, what is one more box?

Plus, if you sell the Open UP, you'll only get pennies on the dollar for it.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

keep them both, and with time see what you really need. perhaps its exactly what you already have
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Sell the 2nd bike and get a mtb when you settle in or get better wheels as suggested. Depending where in Spain you move, the mtb maybe a welcomed addition!!

TonyM

by TonyM

Sell both and get the Tarmac disc as you like your Tarmac.

Or sell the Open and keep the Tarmac.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

Sell all and go A with the upcoming Venge Disc or just the SL6 disc.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10