who do you have winning tdf?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

Chris Froome, because of his balls for insane descents. Unless another GC contender matches that. I'd expect that the climbing abilities and teams of other contenders to be similar/slightly worse than Froome/Sky, but Froome's descent is a significant factor that I haven't seen matched.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

bilwit wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 6:07 pm
Said that about the Tour-Vuelta last year and he was completely untouchable at both events
What does 'untouchable' mean these days? He won them both, sure - but it was his least convincing Tour win to date, and he had time taken out of him on several stages. Go back and look at what was being said in the first couple of weeks of the race and a lot of people were surprised at how uncharacteristically touchable he looked. :noidea:

bilwit

by bilwit

wingguy wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:04 pm
bilwit wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 6:07 pm
Said that about the Tour-Vuelta last year and he was completely untouchable at both events
What does 'untouchable' mean these days? He won them both, sure - but it was his least convincing Tour win to date, and he had time taken out of him on several stages. Go back and look at what was being said in the first couple of weeks of the race and a lot of people were surprised at how uncharacteristically touchable he looked. :noidea:
He put ~40s into all of his main rivals on the first day. Once Porte crashed out, the rest of the race only superficially looked like it was kept close (ie Aru having the jersey for a day) but anyone who knows racing knew that when you looked at the big picture it wasn't close at all since he was guaranteed 2+ minutes over everyone in the final TT.

I agree that it was his "least convincing" win in that he didn't get any of the multiple summit finish stage win domination as he has in the past, but even so, the yellow jersey in Paris was never seriously under threat once he put it on.

wingguy

by wingguy

bilwit wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:11 pm
He put ~40s into all of his main rivals on the first day.
On a rainy day on a highly technical course. Not the best indicator of true form.
Once Porte crashed out, the rest of the race only superficially looked like it was kept close (ie Aru having the jersey for a day) but anyone who knows racing knew that when you looked at the big picture it wasn't close at all since he was guaranteed 2+ minutes over everyone in the final TT.
Then anyone who knows racing was wrong. He didn't put 2+ minutes over anyone else in the top ten.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

i revise my prediction: porte, nibali, or quintana. porte should be very hungry after last yr's disappointment

Leviathan

by Leviathan

mike wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 7:39 pm
i have either nairo quintana or nibali. chris froome may be too tired to do a double.
Given you were, IIRC, the only one to pick Froome to recover last week of the Giro, kind of hard ot bet against you.
Movistar is hard to vote against as a team, specially if then can get a one-two going by sending Landa up the road...

Jopie666

by Jopie666

Dumoulin and Froome will be fighting for 1st place. Nibali, Quintana, Landa, Porte and Bardet battling for third spot.
Oh, it's all right. I'm sure that we can handle this situation maturely, just like the responsible adults that we are. Isn't that right, Mr... Poopy Pants?