Garmin 520 Questions

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I have a Garmin 520 which I'll be taking to Europe this summer (I am based in North America and the device was purchased here). I assume the basic navigation features will work Europe? The device will still follow any courses that I have uploaded?

I am considering adding a Garmin 520 Plus which has more advanced navigation features and proper maps, but but it seems I would have to buy a European version to get a map of Europe. The website indicates that there are no road maps of Europe available to upload to a North American 520 Plus. Here's the second question and I think it's a tough one - if I use a 520 Plus in a region for which it does not contain a map, will the unit revert to basic navigation and follow a course that I have uploaded?

Thanks in advance for any info.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

havana

by havana

Courses will always work even when there's no map (or the wrong map) present. Just follow the line. Obviously doing that is much easier with a map.

Anyhow, the internal memory of the 520 is limited (around 100 MB), so you'll have to ditch the US map and replace it with the maps of the country's or area's you'll be travelling to. Entire countries will be too large so you'll have to create a custom map in order to keep the file size low.

http://extract.bbbike.org/

or

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

some expanation: https://onemanengine.com/how-to-install ... -edge-520/
The website indicates that there are no road maps of Europe available to upload to a North American 520 Plus.
Obviously you can, but you'll have to do it yourself. Procedure is exactly the same as written above. BTW the Plus has more memory than the non-Plus, but I can't find how much more.
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Great reply Havana - thanks.

Sounds like if I want proper navigation I need to go up to a bigger unit. I always follow a pre-planned route that I have uploaded so being able to navigate on the fly won't be that useful to me. And I would never be without a map as a back up. The only real advantage to proper navigation for me would be the ability to get back on course if I have to detour. In urban areas trying to find the right road out of town can be a time killer.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.