Stages Dash

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

DartanianX

by DartanianX

So, there is little to no chat on here on the Stages Dash Head unit.

Having taken the plunge on one the unit seems to be riddled with little annoyances that would be such a simple fix.

In no particular order;

Once you start a ride there is no way to change any settings, turn on the backlight, connect a sensor, essentially do nothing other than ride and hope that you choose all the correct settings beforehand. Annoying if you start a ride mid afternoon and hope to finish in the dark, you’re stuck with the backlight on or off (or 10secs), perfect for neither the start or end of the ride.

GPS is slow to find signal, even though it uses GPS and Glonass.

If you connect a speed sensor, it won’t show any data from it if you have GPS on.

Stages link is buggy when it comes to syncing data between the units.

There have been rides where distance just resets during the ride, it continues to record as uploaded data is correct, but displayed data is not.

Would love to hear others feedback on the unit or if I’m just wasting my time and jump back across to a Garmin 1030. Time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cooper

by cooper

I recently removed my Stages Dash and reinstalled the Wahoo Bolt. For me, the lack of any mapping, routing, or Strava integration was the main issue. For now, I'm holding onto the Dash in the hopes that Stages will get some/all of those features added sometime this Summer. Hopefully they get a significant software update made to the Dash. I do like the display a lot and the orientation. There is a lot to like, but also some basics that aren't quite there yet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DartanianX

by DartanianX

Have you heard that updates are on the way?

cooper

by cooper

Looks like there is an all new Stages Dash coming that includes color display and mapping. No mention of Strava.

FWIW, I have removed my Dash unit and gone back to using the Wahoo Bolt. So if anyone wants to try a Dash cheap, let me know.

ancker

by ancker

I'm another fellow Dash user and am somewhat distraught by the announcement of the new units.
They seem to have all of the features the original Dash was supposed to get, which makes me wonder if the old unit is now dead in terms of development.

I don't see myself switching from the Dash back to Garmin or to a Wahoo. I still love the interface and while the above mentioned grumbles do exist, they are pretty minor.
I'm not sure what I'll do if the original Dash doesn't get any updates. The new ones look nice but it's kind of shady to promise updates then not deliver.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

ancker wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:37 pm
They seem to have all of the features the original Dash was supposed to get, which makes me wonder if the old unit is now dead in terms of development.
Pretty much. According to DCRainmaker, the new L10 seems to exist because they failed to add the promised features to the original Dash. The exact differences are still unknown but at the very least it has more storage, possibly faster CPU and/or increased RAM and/or more space for larger firmware.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/07/sta ... stages-l10

Had been scouring eBay for a bargain bin priced original Dash for a while because I wanted to try and compare to my Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt. Now though it is clearly a better deal to wait and get one of the new models since it won't be getting any of the new features and the L10 is already really cheap…

DartanianX

by DartanianX

Is anyone on the new units yet?

Curious George

by Curious George

DartanianX wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:45 pm
Is anyone on the new units yet?

Bikebug just listed them today.
They appear to have not been widely available for anyone. I follow a number of youtuber's sponsered by Stages and none have had the new units for testing since announced last year.
DCRainmaker has the best info to date on them.

Suppersppy

by Suppersppy

This is pretty late but I have a couple of articles up about these. They are still a bit buggy but I think they are overall very good units. https://cycletechreview.com/2019/access ... -dash-l50/ and the follow up https://cycletechreview.com/2020/access ... an-update/

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Long been curious about trying a Dash so when Stages was running a 20% off campaign I ordered an L50. First impression is that the screen is huge, at nearly twice the area of my most recent computer the Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt. Second impression is that the mounting interface is offensively bad.

Clipping in the computer seems to require almost micrometer precision and at the same time way too much force. Over many repeated attempts I can maybe get it attached to the included out-front mount once. Also bought a different Blendr style mount as required by my integrated handlebars, but so far I haven’t managed to get the computer attached to it at all.

Landscape or portrait orientation make no difference either. With every mounting attempt it feels like I am about to accidentally break the buttons or the display. Even if I were to eventually get it in there properly, it is only a matter of time before the day comes when I don’t, it shakes loose and hits the tarmac at speed.

As I don’t have any other bike this dud will probably have to go back to Stages for a refund without even testing it out during a ride.

Suppersppy

by Suppersppy

The bolt is tiny. Closer to the m50.

I wouldn't call the mount great but I never had that much trouble and it does get a bit easier with more use.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com