Estate v SUV for carrying bikes inside

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Geoff

by Geoff

:shock: Its gonna be wet here..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Orbital

by Orbital

That’s ok. We have the mountain bikes too. If I get a few quick rides in with the roady I’ll be happy.

PLuKE

by PLuKE

I have an F31 330d, plenty of room inside, rear seats down, bike put in, and off you go!

I also have roofbars and the bike carrier, for when the car is full and the bike comes away with us.

I like both estates and SUV’s. but next I would get an SUV, SQ5 TDI.

coriordan

by coriordan

TonyM wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:49 am
zebragonzo wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:12 pm
I would be lying if I said that this advert didn't influence my decision to buy a Skoda:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inxqIa8jgA4
I have a Skoda Octavia and I quite happily carry a bike (no disassebly) and other stuff in the back. The Superb just has more room so can carry even more!
Good for your finances that Bentley is not the sponsor for the TdF! LOL :mrgreen:
We're looking at getting an Octavia as well. Now I've been reminded of that advert, my mind is made up.

I've read a gazillion reviews on the Superb and there doesn't seem to be an equivocal 'better' one, as the Superb as the extra space as legroom in the back, which is no use with children as you can't fold the seats down to make the most of it. Can't work out if it has a longer wheelbase, but even reviews don't say it's a much plusher ride or quieter on long journeys.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

I've test drove Superb, my business partner drives one, and I gotta tell you - regarding noise, it's not really that great, definitely not better than Octavia. suspension - a typicall middle class, VW like - neither stiff nore soft, 'adequate' I'd say. if you're gonna drive on bad roads, perhaps smaller wheels would do, btu then it looks stupid on 16" or 17" even. it does have tons of room in the back (we've covered longer distances on few occasions with 4 big adults onboard and it was very comfy space-wise) the trunk is long and swallows those large suitcases nicely, but then it's pretty low - roof drops back just behind rear seats, so fitting a bike inside is an issue (that's why I don't consider it anymore). the cost of an upgrade over Octavia is most likely worth it - 2-3k euro more?
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

coriordan

by coriordan

Octavia boot space with seats down is about the same. (20L I think).

Maybe 3-4K GBP I think. Need to do some test drives.

zebragonzo

by zebragonzo

I seem to remember the dealer describing the difference between the Octavia and Superb as "if you were in the mafia, you'd be able to carry an extra body in the boot".

I like my Octavia and it's great for what I need it for but wish I'd gone for the next package up that had sensors around the whole car, not just the back.
Dimples: Laminar flow separates more easily from a surface than turbulent air. Delayed separation reduces drag. A groove perpendicular to the flow triggers laminar to turbulent conversion. A spinning object uses dimples so an edge always faces the flow.

NJ78

by NJ78

I've got a 2016 Audi A6 Avant. Can get my size 56 Tarmac in the boot with wheels off and rear seats still up. It's great.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Tested an Alfa Stelvio today. I hate SUV’s, just don’t like how they drive.

If it wasn’t because I have driven a Giulia often, the Stelvio would be my next car, even when I have to clim to a “car” and I think this particular model looks hideous. It is that good, don’t know what’s the trick but beats most Estates in handling.

The boot seems to be better than my 330 touring’s which offers more than enough room for my needs

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

coriordan

by coriordan

Bought a fairly top of the line Superb Estate for £20 per month more than the Octavia. Couldn't really say no.

Downside is that it is so huge I have to wonder how on earth I am going to park the thing.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

good for you! hope it swallows all your stuff like a good wagon should :mrgreen:

I'm still getting calls from Skoda's salesguy after spending like few days test driving their cars, and every week brings an even better offer for Kodiaq or Superb - perhaps if I stall till Xmas I could get one for the price of Fobia 8) I've no clue how they make money, but financially wise their offer is simply insane. for instance, when I came with spec'ed "ambition" trim, dude said I shouldn't bother with lesser versions and he'll sell me "platinum" or "l&k" at same price...

I'm going to test drive the new V60 when it hits my local dealership (probably this or next week) - initial reviews claim it's the best SW out there, and just by looking at the pics I'm willing to agree. in my mind I've already picked Volvo, so there's probably no way around it...

re: Alfa. it's just hideous. it hasn't got any boot space for a SUV that size. and it's an Alfa, it loses value faster than a punctured tire loses air. the Giulia or whatever their saloon is called is a sweet one though, but still - there are nicer rides for the (over) price IMHO

XCProMD

by XCProMD

I guess it comes down to what you value the most. My company car in Sweden is a V90 and I hate how detached it feels and how clunky it is in other than a straight motorway. It’s huge inside, but I don’t need so much space and I don’t mind taking the wheels off the bike.

The new V60 should drive better but I doubt they will manage to get close to BMW for instance.

In Italy I got a 330 Touring and thought it was the best handling thing my company would pay for until I tested the Giulia. That thing is insane.

I agree the Stelvio is ugly as an elephant arse (only outside though, I find it almost spot on inside) but it’s the only SUV I haven’t hated to drive ( and unfortunately I’ve driven many as it’s getting difficult to get anything but a SUV as a rental car). I must confess I actually enjoyed it.

About value, I guess that’s true in the UK, not in Switzerland or Italy. Anyway my cars are leased by my employer, so not a problem for me.

Skickad från min iPhone med Tapatalk

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

if money (or value, or running costs...) is no object, and you're looking for that pure road feel, then I agree - Alfa is the way to go. BTW, you're the only person I heard claiming V90's awful. generally Volvo owners I've spoken with are so freakin happy with their cars (I'm talking people who drive new versions of XC90, S/V90, and XC60) I wonder if they come with a free brainwash system or what. test driving the new X3 I waited a bit in a waiting room and chatting with folks who came in for checks or smth like that - the consenssus appears to be BMW lost it's spirit long time ago, they break a lot (like the notorious 5 series F10 or 2.0 diesel engines) and cost like a small village. same goes with Mercs (my private theory is that style and appearances are most important reasons why people buy them anyway). Alfa on the other hand was always this "aspiring" brand, with lesser quality cars but insanely nice for a keen driver. if they made a station wagon, I'd probably reconsider it, although Volvo interiors are far superior IMHO, quiet, comfy, so nice to be in - and that's what matters for me the most in a car..

coriordan

by coriordan

I am getting a Superb SE L Executive (2.0L Diesel auto) for less than a top spec VW Golf. God knows how they're making money on it.

What country are you in? I'm in the UK and used carwow to let the salesmen battle it out between them to offer the cheapest deal.

It's my first brand new car, so will be interesting how the PCP thing works out for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

853guy

by 853guy

My first ever car was an Alfa Romeo Alfasud Sprint 1.5. Thus began my obsession with cheap Italian exotics.

Of course, those were the years in which I was unmarried and sans children, where playful handling, steering feel, and style were my primary considerations and my dispoable income could be spent on mechanics bills of which there were many.

These days, with a wife and three pre-teen children (1), reliability, dealer service, practicality and refinement are the criteria that must be met, and in that order.

We drive a Lexus RX450h. Yes, it's kinda boring, and yes, it's utterly devoid of driver feedbck (except for a lot of bings and bongs warning me of something or other), but as an extremely capable hauler for our family that's proved to be over-engineered, luxurious to travel in and with good - if not outstanding - practicality (2), it made our previous Volvo V70 appear slightly crude (drivertrain and suspension refinement) and much less reliable. Residuals, if you care for such a thing, for the Lexus are also much better.

Right now, I find it hard to justfy returning to the full-size European alternatives.

Just my two cents.

Best,

853guy

(1) We are required to have two full-size car seats for our two youngest. The RX enables us to get all three of our children into the back seat with plenty of shoulder, hip and legroom.

(2) There are many SUVs and stationwagons on the market with larger boots (and more seats), but the RX has managed to swallow all our luggage and has plenty of room for bikes when the rear seats are folded flat (sans children, obviously).