Estate v SUV for carrying bikes inside

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

mattr

by mattr

They've been mentioned on every page as far as i can see.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zebragonzo

by zebragonzo

I would be lying if I said that this advert didn't influence my decision to buy a Skoda:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inxqIa8jgA4
I have a Skoda Octavia and I quite happily carry a bike (no disassebly) and other stuff in the back. The Superb just has more room so can carry even more!
Dimples: Laminar flow separates more easily from a surface than turbulent air. Delayed separation reduces drag. A groove perpendicular to the flow triggers laminar to turbulent conversion. A spinning object uses dimples so an edge always faces the flow.

TonyM

by TonyM

zebragonzo wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:12 pm
I would be lying if I said that this advert didn't influence my decision to buy a Skoda:
I have a Skoda Octavia and I quite happily carry a bike (no disassebly) and other stuff in the back. The Superb just has more room so can carry even more!
Good for your finances that Bentley is not the sponsor for the TdF! LOL :mrgreen:

Shrike

by Shrike

Getting closer to making a final decision but its looking to be between the 3 Series Touring and the VW Passat Estate.

BMW: sportier looking, easier to manouever and racier ride
VW: classier looking, larger space, more economical and more comfortable ride

:x

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

I've decide to wait for the new Volvo V60 to arrive - judging from the XC60 (that's already here and you can test drive it) it's gonna be THE station wagon to buy

also, I've done few more rides in various SUVs and turns out it's not really my thing - apparently I'm not that old yet!
Last edited by tymon_tm on Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

mattr

by mattr

tymon_tm wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:02 pm
I've decide to wait for the new Volvo V60 to arrive - judging from the XC60 (that's already here and you can test drive it) it's gonna be THE station wagon to buy
I've been playing in both and yes, it's very nice, wait for the T6 or T8 though ;)
Our next car will probably be a V90 or V90CC though. Two kids and all the associated guff takes up a lot of room!

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

I've tried V90, it's probably one of the sweetest cars both in terms of ride and interior quality. too pricey for me though, and seems like too low - I measured trunk's height and it was significantly shorter than in most estates.

Shrike

by Shrike

The new V60 looks lovely. Definitely going to be the nicest estate out by a mile, inside and out. That in a hybrid or fully electric version would be the ideal car. Enjoy if you end up going for one. Will be interesting see what electric models they have a few years down the line. Next car/suv after this one will definitely be electric.

We need something pretty much months ago though so no more waiting around :)

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

you can always get some 2nd hand and place an order, that's what I'm planning to do (I'll probably buy a 508 estate for ~10k euro)

I'm not buying into electric/hybrid thing - IMHO it's just another way to drain cash from customers, who are better off with diesels and regular petrol cars anyway. besides, most of those cars have even shallower trunk, weight a lot (which means bigger fuel/energy consumption, more frequent suspension maintenance etc), and cost premium too. and the effect on the environment, caused by producing and then, years later, disposing of batteries is a pretty important factor to consider given how f-ed up we are, ecologically speaking.

Shrike

by Shrike

We do need to change though. Air quality is a big issue now in cities and getting people to use cars less isn't going well. In the UK at least. Commuting by bicycle has stagnated or even decreased in the last couple of years here.

For me it's a case of don't look at what electric car production is like now, but more imagining what it can be like a decade from now. The issues you're hung up on I agree with on being real issues that need solutions. I'm prepared to throw cash at it though, just not quite yet, still too pricey. Think it'll work out in the long run. Especially if car sharing takes off and less cars end up being built. Work sharing. Working remotely. Yeah, never mind, whole social structure needs a massive upgrade :D

Maybe someone should suggest modular vehicles to Musk :P

/tangent

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

Shrike wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:56 am
Getting closer to making a final decision but its looking to be between the 3 Series Touring and the VW Passat Estate.

BMW: sportier looking, easier to manouever and racier ride
VW: classier looking, larger space, more economical and more comfortable ride

:x
I've had two BMW Tourings, the last I sold about three years ago. Both of these were older models so things might have changed now, however they were useless for load carrying, not much space at all. Very sporty though.

zebragonzo

by zebragonzo

TonyM wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:49 am
zebragonzo wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:12 pm
Good for your finances that Bentley is not the sponsor for the TdF! LOL :mrgreen:
Good point! :lol:

Although I imagine that a Bentley cycling advert would be of a tandem with the butler up front pedalling whilst the gent at the back has his legs up while reading the paper.
Dimples: Laminar flow separates more easily from a surface than turbulent air. Delayed separation reduces drag. A groove perpendicular to the flow triggers laminar to turbulent conversion. A spinning object uses dimples so an edge always faces the flow.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

Shrike wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:01 pm
We do need to change though. Air quality is a big issue now in cities and getting people to use cars less isn't going well. In the UK at least. Commuting by bicycle has stagnated or even decreased in the last couple of years here.

For me it's a case of don't look at what electric car production is like now, but more imagining what it can be like a decade from now. The issues you're hung up on I agree with on being real issues that need solutions. I'm prepared to throw cash at it though, just not quite yet, still too pricey. Think it'll work out in the long run. Especially if car sharing takes off and less cars end up being built. Work sharing. Working remotely. Yeah, never mind, whole social structure needs a massive upgrade :D

Maybe someone should suggest modular vehicles to Musk :P

/tangent
I'd say air quality is a petty little nonsense compared to inevitable climate changes we're facing, but I get it's easier to "sell" air pollution, especially in large cities, blaming vehicles (which, according to various data, are responsible for whopping ~10% of PM10 emission). what really bothers me, both as a customer, car enthusiast and a parent, is the new official eco-BS-propaganda, that tries to shift the responsibility on individual consumers, making them (us) pay significantly more for products that in a big picture don't really affect e.g. total emission, but often last a lot shorter, thus cost even more.

that's why I refuse to jump on the bandwagon. as a consumer, I've never been an innovator or early adopter, and seeing how this concept of "zero emission" car struggles, I don't see myself anywhere near this stuff - at least not within a decade or so. I refuse to pay premium and become a guinea pig for car concers, because they've already developed what I need - a diesel or petrol engine car. of course they try to ruin it through downsizing, automatic gearboxes, start-stop (that only further damages the engine)... putting one hybrid-ish feature after another. sooner or later (my guess is: later) an electric or at very least hybrid car will become a standard in wealthy countries, but untill that happens, while I still have a say, I vote with my money on goods that I can, with my limited knowledge and experience, ascertain as proven.

same with bikes - yeah, I went aero, but that really gives me the kick. untill I have no other choice, I won't downgrade to electronic shifting, discs, 700x28 tires, UST carbon clinchers, or any other feature that only adds problems previously unknown, while rectifying non-existent issues. if I could buy a dream car, it would be kinda like my bike - a nice bodywork on modern chassis, but with a petrol straight 6, manual gearbox, and tons of buttons on the dashboard.

TonyM

by TonyM

tymon_tm wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:24 pm
(...)f I could buy a dream car, it would be kinda like my bike - a nice bodywork on modern chassis, but with a petrol straight 6, manual gearbox, and tons of buttons on the dashboard.

James Bond car :mrgreen:

Orbital

by Orbital

Our xc90 packed for the week in Whistler, Canada. There’s a 50l keg of beer in there too, lol.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com