Estate v SUV for carrying bikes inside

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

I live in Poland, Skoda is our nr.1 brand, lots of dealerships across the country (two in my city) make it easy to find a better deal - a buddy of mine bought his Superb on the other side of the country, and even with additional transport fee (~1k euro) it was cheaper than getting it here (hence my wondering about their profits)

and yeah, VW are pricey, they hardly offer any discounts claiming "they don't have to as the cars sell themselves anyway" (so do Skodas, but they give you 10% off just for entering the dealership).

despite there's no Lex dealer in my neck of the woods, RX and NX are kinda popular, BUT for me an SUV has to have that "cubic meter" boot space. RX is IMHO just another "suv-coupe-BS" like aforementioned Stelvio, BMW X6/X4, Merc GLC coupe, Ford Edge... if I were to get a full size SUV (euro full size, not US) I'd get a Q7. tons of space, drives like a charm, and feels like a two sizes smaller car when you set it up properly. not my price tag at the moment though..
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

coriordan

by coriordan

I did the same as your friend although only about 200 miles to pick it up and it's actually quite close to my parents' house so I stayed there overnight.

Turned out the the Superb SEL Exec was cheaper than the SEL Octavia, and the superb is considerably better specced.

Does Poland have something like Carwow, or do you have to shop around yourself.

https://www.carwow.co.uk/how-it-works

"Once you‘ve chosen a car, we’ll send you offers from top-rated, approved dealers – both local and national. Choose the offer that’s best for you, based on price, location and dealer ratings from other carwow buyers. All our dealers are committed to giving you their best price up front, which means no need to haggle and no hidden costs. We save our buyers an average of £3,600 off RRP."

853guy

by 853guy

tymon_tm wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:09 pm
I live in Poland, Skoda is our nr.1 brand, lots of dealerships across the country (two in my city) make it easy to find a better deal - a buddy of mine bought his Superb on the other side of the country, and even with additional transport fee (~1k euro) it was cheaper than getting it here (hence my wondering about their profits)

and yeah, VW are pricey, they hardly offer any discounts claiming "they don't have to as the cars sell themselves anyway" (so do Skodas, but they give you 10% off just for entering the dealership).

despite there's no Lex dealer in my neck of the woods, RX and NX are kinda popular, BUT for me an SUV has to have that "cubic meter" boot space. RX is IMHO just another "suv-coupe-BS" like aforementioned Stelvio, BMW X6/X4, Merc GLC coupe, Ford Edge... if I were to get a full size SUV (euro full size, not US) I'd get a Q7. tons of space, drives like a charm, and feels like a two sizes smaller car when you set it up properly. not my price tag at the moment though..
I agree the country, and therefore, dealer support is a definite factor.

I further agree the Q7 ticks the boxes for practicality (7 seats), driver appeal, refinement and premium badging. We briefly considered it (over the XC90 and X5. We refused to even consider a Land Rover product). However, its dealer network, out-of-warranty servicing costs and electrical gremlins necessitating contstant dealer visits prevented us from doing so.

According to early reviews, the new Touareg (based on the same MLB platform as the Q7/Bentayga/Urus/Cayenne) is supposed to be excellent. Then again, that will depend on whether you consider car reviews to correspond with the reality of long-term real-world ownership.

I'm yet to be disappointed by the RX.

Best,

853guy

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

coriordan wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:14 pm
I did the same as your friend although only about 200 miles to pick it up and it's actually quite close to my parents' house so I stayed there overnight.

Turned out the the Superb SEL Exec was cheaper than the SEL Octavia, and the superb is considerably better specced.

Does Poland have something like Carwow, or do you have to shop around yourself.

https://www.carwow.co.uk/how-it-works

"Once you‘ve chosen a car, we’ll send you offers from top-rated, approved dealers – both local and national. Choose the offer that’s best for you, based on price, location and dealer ratings from other carwow buyers. All our dealers are committed to giving you their best price up front, which means no need to haggle and no hidden costs. We save our buyers an average of £3,600 off RRP."
first time I see such a service, we've got lots of brokers though who offer deals *supposedly* even jedi master of negotiation can't get. the downside is - you gotta pay a downpayment (and not the usual 5-10%), wait significantly longer and you don't get to deal and meet the joint you'll be dealing with regarding servicing or (hopefuly not) warranty issues. besides it mostly works on brands that don't offer much discounts, like BMW or VW. Skodas, French and Japanese makes, you can pretty much DIY, as long as you don't suck at talking to people or don't have like sulfur-grade breath :twisted:

I don't know what's the deal with Superb, perhaps they're trying to steer clients towards that one from Kodiaq (ridiculously long waiting list here) and Octavia (businesses' fav car, possibly production can't keep up with demand). I also went in to Skoda to check on Kodiaq, was really loking forward for that one, price was right, specs were OK, ride was OK for an SUV too I guess, it was basically a done deal, just pick a color and sign an order... BUT the salesguy kept on talking about Superb like crazy, he ephasised the long wait on Kodiaq like he was trying to discourage me... finally I gave it up because there was no diesel in the 'sport' (or whatever it's called) trim, and - yes - a perspective of waiting more than half a year put me off.
853guy wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:09 pm

I agree the country, and therefore, dealer support is a definite factor.

I further agree the Q7 ticks the boxes for practicality (7 seats), driver appeal, refinement and premium badging. We briefly considered it (over the XC90 and X5. We refused to even consider a Land Rover product). However, its dealer network, out-of-warranty servicing costs and electrical gremlins necessitating contstant dealer visits prevented us from doing so.

According to early reviews, the new Touareg (based on the same MLB platform as the Q7/Bentayga/Urus/Cayenne) is supposed to be excellent. Then again, that will depend on whether you consider car reviews to correspond with the reality of long-term real-world ownership.

I'm yet to be disappointed by the RX.

Best,

853guy
servicing costs is what steered me away from the idea of getting a 2nd hand Q7, good deals can be found there though - same with current Touareg (smaller boot though) or Cayenne. a guy from an independent car service joint told me he'd eventually consider getting one of these with as basic trim as possible, without air suspension and electric-everything. but that really takes away most of the cars worth - IMHO 'naked' Q7 or Tuareg is just as stupid idea as a new Madone on Shimano Claris and 5$ tires.

as for the new Touareg, it has a full size tv screen planted on the dash, fully electronic display, etc. in my book it's a big no-no, I've seen mad people on the edge of sanity in the BMW service "lounge" :mrgreen: zone, whose 100k cars would return same failures over and over again, I've heard countless stories about Mercs' new E-class issues (same: fully electronic everything), so even if I were to spend like half a house worth of a sum on a car, the idea of becoming pals with mechanics isn't a tempting prospect - I'd rather have less 'features' but a bigger peace of mind :thumbup:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.