Developing a NEW GPS cycling analytics Website. WW help/input needed!

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

aerozy

by aerozy

Here is a little rundown of some of the added features we offer.
  • Calendar Section
    Calendar with general oversight of past activities
    Ability to schedule training sessions, races or events
    Long/short term stress and form forcast plots (based on scheduled future events)
  • Power Analytics Section
    Power Curve Plots
    Long/short term stress and form plots
    Record Power Intervals overview
    Rider Profile Analysis
    Power Distribution Plots
  • Equipment Analytics Section
    Bike Telemetry (averages and totals)
    Longterm Bike Odometer Plots
  • Activity Post Ride Analytical Tools
    Power Analytics
    Distribution Plots (Gearing, Gradient, etc)
    Wind Calculation along entire route
    Climb comparison analysis between record, pb and current ride
    Comparing matching routes
    Sub Climbs syncing
  • Social Network features as:
    Picture uploads
    tagging
    following/followers
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

aerozy

by aerozy

Just to say Ive improved the FIT upload time. For a 5 hour ride it takes about 10-15s to upload now. So test away...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

bilwit wrote:Strava post ride analytics is kind of lackluster in terms of useful training information.. everyone uses Strava due to the social aspect: segments boards, activity comments, clubs, route sharing, flyby, etc. Its "premium" features have long been stale and seems development has plateaued while they focus on hardware integration.

The best (free) third party thing for Strava right now is Stravistix but it's Chrome-only and the PMC ("Fitness & Freshness") chart doesn't really work well for some people (doesn't do a good job at going through activity history).

Would love to see something that has PMC and power profile (1m, 5m, 20m, 1hr, etc) without the cost of Strava Premium or Training Peaks
Golden cheetah does all that and much more at zero cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

aerozy

by aerozy

Hey folks!
Hope you are all doing well.
So Ive ironed out a lot of the FIT file loading bugs people were reporting. From what I can tell things are running smoothly now.
Feel free to test the site at:
https://chainpeaks.herokuapp.com
If you have any feedback please feel free to write to the following email:
chainpeaks@gmail.com
Thanks in advance and looking forward to hearing from you! Wish you all a great end of summer with lots of kms!
Stay safe,
David

aerozy

by aerozy

A quick post... Just to say Ive decided to expand the project to multisport starting off with running and swimming, and expanding there after. Ive only started working on this so might take a month or two to fully implement. The current chainpeaks test suite site (https://chainpeaks.herokuapp.com) is for the time being still cycling only. If any of you joggers/swimmers have any features they'd like to see just send me a shout on the email address. Cheers

Rondje

by Rondje

Hi aerozy, If you go multisports it's probably better to change the name? Or is this only the project name. If you are still searching for background images, try Unsplash.com (altho dropping them, might be easier on the eyes if people got a lot of data). And if you use those images with text above them, try putting a light opacity grey on them, which makes all the text readable. (for example #2F2F2F with 20% opacity usually makes white text on snow readable).
And a small tip from the aesthetic point of view, the double backgrounded text in the logo and the footer menu items make it a bit hard to read.

kbbpll

by kbbpll

You say "more focused on climbing". I haven't used ridewithgps for a year or more, and Strava way longer than that, so I don't know if this applies anymore, but one thing you or someone else could do better is transfering elevation data from a topo map instead of using the barometric pressure-based data from Garmin etc. For example, when I map a route to the top of a local canyon, it is accurately represented as 8003 feet. When I record a ride with my Garmin, the top of the canyon can be 100 or more feet lower, and the start and ends of my ride can be 50+ feet different, even though it's the exact same spot. It doesn't matter all that much to me, but others may be more obsessed with total elevation and better accuracy. Maybe some other site has figured this out, but it just seems stupid to me to be so far off on elevations when the GPS knows exactly where you are and can get real, exact elevations from a real map. Just a thought and a pet peeve.

aerozy

by aerozy

Hey guys thanks for the suggestions. Indeed I should probably change the name since the site is now multisport. The name "ChainPeaks" was based on the fact that it was purely a cycling website with a lot of attention given to climbing aspects like the KOM Point rankings and all.

But that isnt the case anymore. The site is now compatible with running and swimming. Im gonna add now skiing and hikes soon. One cool feature is that you get accumulative Training Stress Scores for all sports based on heart rate. You can also schedule training/events on a calendar and see how your form/fatigue/tss may vary.

Esthetics wise Im still not happy with what I have got. I actually have already used unsplash for a bunch of very cool pictures. I appreciate any esthetic suggestions you may have. Im an engineer so def need some help there.

By the way here is a link to the multisport activity from a triathlon in texas!

https://chainpeaks.herokuapp.com/activities/22

Here is a ride of mine in the mountains for the purely cycling geeks:

https://chainpeaks.herokuapp.com/activities/23

Talk soon!
D

PS: kbbpll Thanks for the altitude suggestion. I would prefer direct topology altitudes from something like google API or the sorts. The problem is services like these are not for free. I realize how unreliable elevation data from pressure can be but at least its for free. If anyone knows free API service for altitude shoot them my way ;)

Renne

by Renne

Can't log in anymore, weird.
I like(d) the power analytics, showing you what level you are at according to the power profiles chart. Would be nice to add even more like peak power...

kbbpll

by kbbpll

I'm really impressed with what you've done here, clearly for more fitness data geeks than I am. And you're in the early stages, so what I say is probably on your list already. The following is reaction to "ride of mine in the mountains" link above.
For somebody like me who is relatively clueless, add some ? pop-ups for every stat in the top window to tell what it is and how it's calculated. Like "perceived effort" - what the heck is that? Sounds cool, but I have no idea.
Power analytics - that power curve versus the map really confuses me. If I try to follow along, the first 50% of the chart is some tiny zoomed in section already partway through the ride, and the farther along I go, it zooms out in both directions until finally the whole ride is highlighted. It's like you're plotting average power from some random point that keeps bouncing down until we arrive at the average power for the whole ride. No idea what I'm looking at.
Power zone distribution - I have no idea what endurance, tempo, etc are. More ? pop-ups or something.
Distribution plots - these charts are awesome. But I can't figure out, on an out and back route, how I can possibly be climbing 47.6% and descending 21.8%. If it's time-based, OK, I get it. But that's not clear to me. It says "ride gradient distribution" after all. The bar chart grouping should be by distance, not time. Then I would "get it".
Ride gearing distribution - this is awesome. But how? I had no idea this was a thing. Electronic shifting tracks what gear you're in?
Analytic Charts says Telemetry Charts after you click on it. Picky, but this is what I used to do for a living.

On the pressure-based versus topo map elevation thing, you might have to get creative by country/region. How does ridewithgps do it, when mapping a route as opposed to uploading a ride? Do they pay for it? Is there a single service, or do they also "get creative"? I worked on a team implementing a "geospatial warehouse" for the USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) about 15 years ago, they were digitizing all the topographical maps in conjunction with USGS (United States Geological Service), and all that data was exposed via free APIs, because the taxpayers paid for it. I was on the backend database side of things so I didn't have much exposure or knowledge on the API side, so I don't know how you'd get at it. But it seems like somebody like ridewithgps wouldn't be paying a whole lot for it or even getting it for free somehow. It just seems lazy to upload your barometric pressure altitude when the GPS gizmo knows exactly where you are. Pet peeve.

Renne

by Renne

Link doesn't work anymore...site down?